A WASR Question

A WASR Question

This is a discussion on A WASR Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As any of you that read my previous thread ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cs-galore.html ) know, I picked up my first firearm ever, a WASR 10/16 not to ...

Thread: A WASR Question

A WASR Question

As any of you that read my previous thread (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cs-galore.html) know, I picked up my first firearm ever, a WASR 10/16 not to long ago. I want to put a flash hider on it in place of the current slant brake, but cant seem to get the darned thing off. Ive heard something about some slant brakes being welded on? Im not sure if that is the case here or not. But it seems to not want to move no matter how hard I try and I dont want to break anything. Theres a small bump on the front sight post that I think may have something to do with this? Ive tried pushing the bump in using the tool from the cleaning kit, tried lubing it up in CLP and letting it sit, tried brute force, but it seems determined to stay in one spot. Is this something I can remove myself? Or should I just let a gunsmith figure it out? Heres the sucker

GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

ive tried pushing the button down, but it is really stuck and wont go down at all
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Your brake seems to be loctited to death... been there done that.
    Get a heat gun or a plumber's torch and heat the brake up little by little till it moves.

WARNING: You may have the double secret probation WASR. Most AKs including WASRs will be left handed thread (you loosen by turning to the right) but some WASRs brakes loosen to the right. With that in mind, treat you brake gently and with loving care while removing because you have one of the special WASRs to which nobody makes brakes for it. According to Century Arms:

Some WASR rifles had a smaller than normal muzzle diameter and were fitted with a US made copy flash hider using a .5 x 20 RH thread. We still have this part available for replacement, but I am afraid that some work will be needed to fit another type of muzzle break. To my knowledge, there is no factory part that uses this thread pattern.
    You screw up the brake, Century Arms, after much begging and pleading on your part might feel generous and charge you $45.90 for a new Tactical Double Secret Probation brake. A regular brake is $10 out there but their version is 5 times more and nowhere else to be found. No other brake out there will fit the threads.

My advice: if your brake is a .5 x 20 RH, put it back and leave it alone. I ordered an adapter custom made by Brian Smithwick of Dinzag Arms and I am still waiting. Brian is busy as heck right now and I figure I might see the adapter sometime next quarter.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Without a better pic: your FH detent(that funny little knob) is either held forward by gunk, is too long for the recess, or Century spun the FH down really fast to effectively jam it in place. (#s 2 &3 are basically the same.)

1) Use a punch and a small hammer to see if you can move the pin backwards. If so, repeat until you can depress the plunger with the punch using finger pressure, and spin the FH off while depressing the plunger.

2) If the plunger does not move after a couple of modest raps with the punch & hammer, use a Dremel cut-off wheel to remove the head of the plunger flush with the base of the FH, then spin off the FH.

You can get a new plunger from Brownells, AKparts online, or several other sources for about $4.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links