New AR - Page 2

New AR

This is a discussion on New AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That is one big scope! Unless you're shooting tabletop, why not go for a red dot or (gasp) use the iron sights? Nice set up, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New AR

That is one big scope! Unless you're shooting tabletop, why not go for a red dot or (gasp) use the iron sights? Nice set up, but this must not be your CQB rifle.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    That is one big scope! Unless you're shooting tabletop, why not go for a red dot or (gasp) use the iron sights? Nice set up, but this must not be your CQB rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkstafoo1 View Post
    LOL. Hey I like that scope, I don't like shooting at close range (50 yards) so me and my buddies wanted to try something new so I got the scope so we could shoot 200+ yards.
    Note the bolded portions.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Nice AR. I just picked up my new one today.

MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

CLH
    I am jealous. That is gonna be my first purchase in 09

Nice!!!!
    The Scope also LOL!!!
    they are just having fun!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

A trained shooter does not need a hubble telescope to shoot out to 200 meters.

How many of us from the military where qualifying with iron sights out to 200+ meter ?..............................everyone.

Not a dig, but unless you have a barrel that is an SPR type stainless match grade barrel with proper ammo, then I'm a afraid that scope is just overkill.

My. 02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Nothing wrong with overkill.

ya just never know when it might come in handy...lol
    ..to each his own.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    A trained shooter does not need a hubble telescope to shoot out to 200 meters.

How many of us from the military where qualifying with iron sights out to 200+ meter ?..............................everyone.

Not a dig, but unless you have a barrel that is an SPR type stainless match grade barrel with proper ammo, then I'm a afraid that scope is just overkill.

My. 02
    A scope serves at least 2 purposes, 1 is to proved a target sight picture and 2 is to magnify the image.

I myself am building an AR style rifle for hog hunting that I hope to use at night and mostly at 80-150 yards. I plan on a scope being my primary optic so that I can see and choose which hog(s) I would like to shoot. My scope will probably look similar because I got a low light large objective illuminated reticle so that I can see at night with a flashlight. I don't think I would have a shot with iron sights unless it was only at the close ranges

For those of us that will not be going into battle with our ARs there are lots of other frequent uses such as target shooring or varmint shooting. Can you (Skygod) hit a prairie dog at 200 yards with iron sights?

Ya know, I got my first AR a few weeks ago (Bushmaster M4A3) and had no intentions of scoping it. I like the iron sights and the way the carbine looks with said sights and carry handle. Having said that, the thing shoots so much better than I expected that I now want a scope to shoot at "things" 120-180 yds out there. It might bum me out a little to look at my AR with a scope but shooting it with one will be a real kick I think.

A scope also allows for target identification.

So you can hit a man sized target at 300 meters with irons, so can I. But I can't always tell at that distance whether or not that man has earned being shot.

In the case of hunting, I want the best chance possible of a surgical hit and a scope increases those chances, as well as my odds of seeing a risk beyond the target, such as another hunter, hiker, etc. in the line of fire.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links