Christmas Rifle

This is a discussion on Christmas Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tomorrow I will be heading to the local Cheaper Than Dirt to purchase a rifle for a Christmas present to myself. I want to choose ...

Thread: Christmas Rifle

Christmas Rifle

Tomorrow I will be heading to the local Cheaper Than Dirt to purchase a rifle for a Christmas present to myself. I want to choose a rifle that is likely to fall under the assault weapons ban (which I really hope will not happen, but I have to be realistic here). The two that are in stock right now that I have my eye on are a RRA AR-10 and an FN PS-90. I would say my budget is $2000. Could you guys throw some ideas at me about a good rifle I should get that may soon be banned? I already have AR-15s and AKs so something outside of those categories. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I'd suggest the AR-10, as you are already familiar with it's nomenclature and ergonomics from the AR-15. The .308 for the AR will be a bit tricky to find, but it is definitley more available than the 5.7mm rounds are, and have much,much better ballistics. That, coupled with the fact that the AR will be around $1000, leaving money for ammo and accessories, and the PS-90 is around $1900 last I saw. But, it is your money to spend as you wish. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    AR-10! The Armalite ones have larger magazines, though.

The PS-90 5.7 ammo is so expensive and rare you will never use it.

Well, let me revise that...I would like a PS-90 but only if I could SBR it. An AR-10 would still be much higher on my list, though.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

PS90

I just bought myself the PS90 for this Christmas and many more to come. Like you, I wanted something that I might not be able to get later.

I chose the PS90 because I already own an AR15 in 5.56/.223. If I wanted a better round, I can buy the 6.5 Grendel upper from Alexander Arms w/o having to purchase a whole new lower. And, if my understanding is correct, it has been and be will lowers that are regulated by Fed law. So I could buy the upper even if there is a new assault weapons ban.

As far as ammo goes, it isn't any harder to find than any other round. The big online stores have gouged prices lately to cause a buying rush. I have absolutely no problems finding it locally. I stopped at local pawn shop which stocks the 5.7 round that had just this past week reordered his supply; $19.00/ box of 50rds from the supplier. Yet many internet sites are charging between $25-$35/box. Cheaper than dirt is charging $40 and saying they are saving you 19.99/box. I just bought 250 rds online @$19.99/box !. So how can they say they are saving you money?

Like I said, I already own an AR, I wanted something different. I like the ergonomics and a mag that holds 50rds was appealing, too.

BTW: there are forums strictly for FN firearms and they can point you in the right direction to get it SBRed if there is no one local you can go to. PM me if you want those sites.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

My idea is just buy one, either one.... Give the banning party the finger by doing so. Just my opinion. Dont know much about either rifle sorry.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfugal View Post
    My idea is just buy one, either one.... Give the banning party the finger by doing so.
    +1
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    Tomorrow I will be heading to the local Cheaper Than Dirt to purchase a rifle for a Christmas present to myself. I want to choose a rifle that is likely to fall under the assault weapons ban (which I really hope will not happen, but I have to be realistic here). The two that are in stock right now that I have my eye on are a RRA AR-10 and an FN PS-90. I would say my budget is $2000. Could you guys throw some ideas at me about a good rifle I should get that may soon be banned? I already have AR-15s and AKs so something outside of those categories. Thanks!
    The AR-10 (.308)is made by Armalite.
    The Rock River rifle uses some different parts and different magazines.

I recommend getting the Armalite for about $1300-$1400

The PS-90 is more like an overgrown pistol as far as the power
    of the round goes.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I posed the same question to myself a few years ago. I ended up going with308/7.62x51. I've got several ARs in 5.56 and several AKs in 7.62x39 as well.
    I bought a Springfield M1A Scout Squad, and a few months later to back that up, an Armalite AR-10A4 rifle.
    Have 15 mags for each rifle and suitable quantity ammo tucked away and for regular practice at the range.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

BAC
    Like Delucas, my vote goes to the little PS90. FUN little gun. It's not a rifle (don't expect it to perform like one), but as has been said there are other calibers one can get and remain on the AR platform if ballistic performance is that important. Also, I haven't had a problem finding 5.7 locally, or online, and it's often cheaper than 5.56, in bulk or small quantities. The "ammo is too high priced" argument has failed for at least half a year now.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Living in California, we are already under an assault weapons ban. Before it went into effect, I went out and bought an HK-G3 and several mags. I have never been sorry. And the HK ejects casings so hard no one can sneak up on you from the right!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Good choice

I would have to say this one is a good choice, you just can't beat classic engineering.

DS
    Believe NONE of what you hear; HALF of what you see and ALL you believe

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by farnorthdan View Post
    I would have to say this one is a good choice, you just can't beat classic engineering.

DS
    Yeah that was also high on my list but they were out of them :(

I actually still haven't bought anything yet. They didn't have anything in stock that I wanted.......except for one.......I wanted it so bad, but I talked myself out of it

This:

A Barrett REC7 in 6.8spc

It was priced at $2999.99. I couldn't talk myself into spending that kind of money right now. Even though I'm sure I could sell it no problem now days. What do you guys think this would be worth if the AWB goes into effect? $8000-9000?

I have an Eagle Arms(Armalite) AR10 and it's a great shooter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well.......

Which one did you get?

I don't care for the sight on the PS90, if I got one, I'd get the optional upper rail. I'd also make it an SBR if I had one. I like the original look and it will also tweak off the banners even more.

Links