Need suggestions for quad rail please

This is a discussion on Need suggestions for quad rail please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to get one of these for my Dad for Christmas. I'm also getting a grip pod. I like 2 of these, especially the ...

Thread: Need suggestions for quad rail please

Need suggestions for quad rail please

I want to get one of these for my Dad for Christmas. I'm also getting a grip pod. I like 2 of these, especially the tan one but one says free float(black only) the tan one doens't say free float and I have no clue what the difference is. It's for his AR 15 Bushmaster.

Tactical Gears

2. Remove Ads

Free-Float, means that the quad rail is not attached to the barrel nor does it touch it at any point. Instead, it connects via a (generally) proprietary mounting system where the barrel mounts to the upper receiver. This is generally preferred, while they are more difficult to install and typically cost more depending on what you want from one, as it arguably improves accuracy and aids in heat dispersion.

The ones that don't free float come in many flavors, but basically one piece and two piece. They utilize the same mounts that the stock hand guards use.

If he has a fixed front sight and doesn't want to remove it (just for the installation process, it goes back on after), I would definitely go with a 2 piece system. It is easy to install and can be switched back to standard guards in seconds.

I think that many people will agree with me though, that Free Float rails are awesome. I have set-ups from LaRue Tactical and YHM on two of my rifles.

Either way your dad will be happy.

Well, I have a Bushmaster carbine as well. Let's say for the price, and a good review from me, the UTG quad rail handguard system is the bomb! I've never been ready to lay down $100+ on a quad rail system, and this one is everything I wanted. Some might say I have low standards....heck, some feel a Bushmaster rifle is sub-par to begin with. I've had nothing better, and aspire for nothing more.
    UTG Quad Rail Handguard

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still lost. What size does the Bushmaster AR 15 take? Do you have any links to point me to the one that I need? Sorry to be a pain but I have no clue what I am looking for and I wanted it to be a surprise.
    Would one of these work?

http://www.yhm.net/store/forearms.html

I can't find the Larue in stock anywhere

The size that you need depends on if there is a fixed front sight and where it is.

You need to measure the length of the handguards to determine the length. Needed. I'd hate to guess, but you are probably looking for the ones that are listed as "carbine length" inconveniently, the ones that mostly sold out.

Another thing to think about is, if he has a short barrel, like the one pictured above, definitely get the two-piece. The big permanent flash hider on the end of the barrel will have to be removed, which generally means a gun smith.

Here are pictures with a tape measure:

I found this, will it work? This is hard. sheesh :)

http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?Page...ROD&ProdID=323

Note the front grip is going to be replaced with a Grip Pod that will attach to it.

Are the free float available in the 2 piece? The nearest gunsmith is 75 miles away, so I don't want him to have to remove the flash supressor to get it on. That doesn't just unscrew?

I found this one which is 2 pc. floating but it says cut off the delta ring??? Thoughts? I'm ready to give up and get him a new fishing rod and reel :)

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/...category_id=70

Since he has the 16" barrel, then the flash hider just unscrews. If he had the 11.5" or the 14", then the flash hider is semi-permanently pinned on and has to be smithed off and on. But you are all set.

Either one of those 7" rails will work fine. They might also be referred to as carbine length. Cutting off the delta ring is no big deal. Does he have a dremel tool? The parts are readily available and inexpensive if he ever wants to put it back. Personally, I would go with the larue, I know it is twice as much, so I'll concede that and of the true one piece, free float designs would have my vote. From your original post, this one: -

BAC
    This article should more than adequately describe the different rails for you:

"Which Free-Float Rail System Should I Buy for my M4?"

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Links