Doesn't make sense

This is a discussion on Doesn't make sense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't get why anyone would want a 11" or 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash hider to make a 16" barrel. A longer ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Doesn't make sense

  1. #1
    Member Array farmerbyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    187

    Doesn't make sense

    I don't get why anyone would want a 11" or 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash hider to make a 16" barrel. A longer barrel means more velocity and more accuracy so why wouldn't you want the longer barrel if it has to be 16" anyways? I can see why a 14.5" or 11" barrel could be handy inside a truck but us civvies can't get a barrel that short anyway. Please inform me if I am missing something here.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

    If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    I like my 11.5" Bushmaster with 5.5" flash suppressor. It just looks tactical and cool! I have better things for the 100yd+ ordeal.

  4. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,628
    I can see why a 14.5" or 11" barrel could be handy inside a truck but us civvies can't get a barrel that short anyway. Please inform me if I am missing something here.
    Actually, in most states you can.
    You just have to register it as a Short Barrelled Rifle and pay the $200 for the tax stamp to the ATF.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,745
    Mine is similar to Ram Rods except it has the A1 sights and is bare bones. I bought mine the day they voted on the original AWB. It is my "Charles Schumer Special". It has every feature they wanted to ban. That means a bullet from it must have ten times the destructive power of that same round out of my H-Bar Match! And it is impossible to miss the target with this carbine! Just ask the Senator! He will tell you!!!

    But seriously now, I bought mine partly as a political statement, and partly as an investment. Then I made the mistake of firing it. Waaaay too much fun!
    It is a nice compact package that would be handy around the house or in the truck in a SHTF situation. It is a compromise though. Back when I bought mine they didn't have the M-forgeries on the market so that was not an option for me.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  6. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    ...That means a bullet from it must have ten times the destructive power of that same round out of my H-Bar Match! And it is impossible to miss the target with this carbine! Just ask the Senator! He will tell you!!!...
    LOL! It sure seems that way doesn't it!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  7. #6
    Ex Member Array AVIVIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Actually, in most states you can.
    You just have to register it as a Short Barrelled Rifle and pay the $200 for the tax stamp to the ATF.
    With an SBR or suppressor, are you still subject to the random "inspections" and all the other crap like with the Class III stuff?

  8. #7
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,628
    Not unless you are a dealer.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,094
    I have several AR15's one has the 11.5"w/attached 5" flashhider and I got a 16" and a 20" ,I also got a 7.62x39 upper that I bought when ammo was 69.00 1000 rds. I have 4 stripped lowers ordered for more guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  10. #9
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have several AR15's one has the 11.5"w/attached 5" flashhider and I got a 16" and a 20" ,I also got a 7.62x39 upper that I bought when ammo was 69.00 1000 rds. I have 4 stripped lowers ordered for more guns
    Would that be the DPMS 7.62x39 upper? I looked at these way back when Midway USA had them for around $400 or so...then I started looking for magazines and all, sort of hard to find. Then I stumbled on to some forums or something that indicated they were not very reliable. Have you used your 7.62 upper on your AR? I mean this subject hasn't come up in a long time, and I sort of dropped my research into it. What can you tell me about your experience with yours?

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Would that be the DPMS 7.62x39 upper? I looked at these way back when Midway USA had them for around $400 or so...then I started looking for magazines and all, sort of hard to find. Then I stumbled on to some forums or something that indicated they were not very reliable. Have you used your 7.62 upper on your AR? I mean this subject hasn't come up in a long time, and I sort of dropped my research into it. What can you tell me about your experience with yours?
    I believe my upper came from Model1 sales IIRC,I have 2 10 round steel USA mags that feed reliably and It shoots pretty good,I have taken deer with it.I'm actually taking it up to Ks on my way to Ne next week ,I had a friend ask me about a 30 calibre AR upper and he wants to check mine out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  12. #11
    Member Array smotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    233
    I think the shorter barrel would come in handy for HD. I've got a Colt with 16" that I will eventually pay the tax on and have cut down/get a shorter barrel for.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

  13. #12
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe my upper came from Model1 sales IIRC,I have 2 10 round steel USA mags that feed reliably and It shoots pretty good,I have taken deer with it.I'm actually taking it up to Ks on my way to Ne next week ,I had a friend ask me about a 30 calibre AR upper and he wants to check mine out
    Shoots "pretty good".? And how are the mags to find?

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Shoots "pretty good".? And how are the mags to find?
    I have 2 polymer and 2 steel and they weren't easy to find,after I get back from Ne around the first of the year if you want I will ship the upper to you and let you try it out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  15. #14
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have 2 polymer and 2 steel and they weren't easy to find,after I get back from Ne around the first of the year if you want I will ship the upper to you and let you try it out
    No doubt? I'll have to keep that in mind! Thanks for the offer. I know the mags were hard to find when I was looking into this. One of the reasons it went to the back burner for me.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Georgia restaurant carry law doesn't make sense ...
    By jfl in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
  2. Ammo shortages don't make sense in a free market economy,
    By 40S&WMAN in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: April 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
  3. waiting periods for gun purchases make no sense. Here's one reason.
    By Woody in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 30th, 2007, 10:14 AM
  4. This doesn't make sense!!!
    By katmandoo122 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM