Mag extension install for 870

This is a discussion on Mag extension install for 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If I drill out the dimples to install an extended mag on my 870, how do I finish off the bare metal where I drilled? ...

Thread: Mag extension install for 870

Mag extension install for 870

If I drill out the dimples to install an extended mag on my 870, how do I finish off the bare metal where I drilled? Blueing? Paint? Duracoat? etc....
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

2. Remove Ads

Drilling out dimples on an 870!? Don't get the tools out of the box yet! You have a different model or the home defender? 3rd magazine? I don't think you'll have to drill anything or get out the power tools. Plenty or resources on the internet to avoid all that nonsense. I'd look for some of them for you, but I've got to go. Surely some others will head you in the right direction. I do know there are better ways.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    What model do you have? I put an extended mag on my 870 and didn't have to drill anything.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

prawls

Sounds like you have a 870 express early flavor that uses a plastic ratchet to retain the mag tube end cap. If so, you are correct, you can drill out, or use a dent removal mandrel to accomplish this task.
    The trick is that the inside of the mag tube must be baby butt smooth to keep the follower from hanging up and stalling the tube.

The idea of the dimples was during the Clinton years, an attempt at limiting mag capacity. I would finish up with metal black cold blue. By the way don't worry the holes don't show when the forend is in the forward position.

Good Luck & Be Safe

P.S. You could look up a post on Express replacment parts By Scattergun Bob on the Firing Line Forum for additional ideas for making that type of Express a better Fighting Scattergun.
    First, With The Most, WINS!

Regards, Scattergun Bob

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgun Bob View Post
    Sounds like you have a 870 express early flavor that uses a plastic ratchet to retain the mag tube end cap. If so, you are correct, you can drill out, or use a dent removal mandrel to accomplish this task.
    Good info. I didn't know about this particular change. My 870 is definitely pre Clinton.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

My express came with those. I just drilled them out, but like an earlier poster said they have to be baby-bottom smooth. Just clean up with some cold blue if you think it'll bother you.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

I just used a dremel to grind them down on the inside and did not re-finish with anything. Never had a problem in the three years since

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    I just used a dremel to grind them down on the inside and did not re-finish with anything. Never had a problem in the three years since
    Same here. Just apply some oil once in a while.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah, don't drill, grind them down inside the tube. Openings that far forward make great ports for a foreign object to jam your mag spring.

If you happened to have one, or are deciding to by an Express, get the one with the extension already on it and it will have no dimples to deal with. The Police and Wingmaster also are the old style with no dimples.

Its an old express that I've had for a while. And as far as grinding the dimples down, they appear to be pressed. I figured if I ground them, I'd burn through the tube anyway, so why not save time and drill. I agree with the debris issue. Wasn't sure how to fix that either.
    Thanks for all the input.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

just did it last night...used a dremel tool w/ a grinding bit and it will take the dimples down. You can grind them flush w/ the inside of the tube and no burn through (not saying there's much metal left...but I didn't go through and it's flush w/ the rest of the tube) I used a sanding bit to polish and smooth things out once I ground it down. I sprayed some black paint in there and called it a day. No hangups or anything. I would suggest grinding before drilling. Hope this helps

Socket

The alternative is to find a socket that is a close fit to the inside of the magazine tube. The exact size depends on the brand of sockets you have. Set the socket in square in the tube and drive it down until it irons out the dimples. Then use a sturdy dowel or rod to drive it forward and out. No deburring or refinishing needed.

Links