I want to buy an...

I want to buy an...

This is a discussion on I want to buy an... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...AR-15 but i don't know what to get. i'll prolly have around $900(maybe up to $1200)to spend...i know the brand names but i don't know ...

I want to buy an...

...AR-15 but i don't know what to get. i'll prolly have around $900(maybe up to $1200)to spend...i know the brand names but i don't know what the difference is between each model....can anybody help me out?

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

Do you want to get anything more than just a bare-bones gun for that 900? I just picked up a Colt M4 that I'm VERY happy for but it cost me 1200. I'm planning on spending MUCH more for quality optics/options/light/etc.

Get 'em while you still can...
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by smotta View Post
    Do you want to get anything more than just a bare-bones gun for that 900? I just picked up a Colt M4 that I'm VERY happy for but it cost me 1200. I'm planning on spending MUCH more for quality optics/options/light/etc.

Get 'em while you still can...

that's a full auto? i went to their website...i don't know much about accessories...
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Stick with Bushmaster for your first...otherwise, you'll be spending too much for what you won't use...and hopefully still keep it all under $900. Accessories can come later. What good is a ten year warranty for something you'll hardly ever use? If you don't know what to get, just get something that will look good in the safe where you can take it out and show and impress your friends.

Another vote for the BushMaster (flat top).
    If able, add an EO Tech holographic scope...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I think the Bushmasters are the best deal for the money right now, but I have to admit, I really like my RRA.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think any of the major AR names would serve you well. I bought the M&P15 at a good price, while all the others I looked at were 100-300 dollars more. Plus every review I've read on it has been positive.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Another vote for the BushMaster (flat top).
    If able, add an EO Tech holographic scope...

+1 That is the route I would take as well. You will be getting a great gun at a reasonable price. After you have had it for a while, you will know exactly what you want. You can always modify what you have to make it what you want.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

BAC
    Click for info

Additionally, the "search" function will turn up a lot on this subject, much of it within the last couple months.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Build your own man. Much more satisfying. It is quite simple, AR15.com has a walk through as well on how to piece it together. You can buy a complete upper and complete lower and just mate it together with out to much hassle. Or take the fun route and buy a stripped lower and build that up how you want it.

Doing this will create a gun with iron sights for probably $650-700 if you shop around for deals.

Gotta agree with Mr. Fastwalker on this one. Buy a stripped lower, then buy a lower parts kit, buttstock, and a complete upper. You get exactly what you want. You understand how the gun functions, you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and you save money.

Assembling my first AR this way took about an hour and a half, because I took my time, read the instructions carefully, and struggled a bit with one roll pin. The second one took about 40 minutes.

You save about a hundred bucks right off the top building a rifle this way, because you save the 10% Federal tax on complete firearms. The only downside is that right now finding parts might be a bit difficult, but they are available. Check out pkfirearms.com

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Stick with Bushmaster for your first...otherwise, you'll be spending too much for what you won't use...and hopefully still keep it all under $900. Accessories can come later. What good is a ten year warranty for something you'll hardly ever use? If you don't know what to get, just get something that will look good in the safe where you can take it out and show and impress your friends.

haha- that sounds like a great idea
    -Thomas Jefferson

I got a Bushmaster ORC, I like it a lot. Its great BC if you plan on putting an after market sight on its great.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    What Sixto said basically. Love my RRA (Rock River Arms), Bushmaster is a good choice. Buy whichever you can get cheaper.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

BAC
    Eh, 24 weeks waiting for my three RRA uppers, receiving only excuses and a hard time ('hey, these have been here for 10 weeks, come get them or we'll put them back into circulation...'), means they won't be getting my money in the future. This was long before the recent "rush" started, so there is no reason at all they should have taken this long to get finished, provided they haven't been just sitting in a back room somewhere lost in the shuffle. RRA does not make a product worth waiting nearly half a year for.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Links