Tactical Shotgun Build?

Tactical Shotgun Build?

This is a discussion on Tactical Shotgun Build? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I'm getting a Glock after next paycheck. After that I want to build a tactical shotgun. Should I go with a cheap Remington ...

Thread: Tactical Shotgun Build?

Tactical Shotgun Build?

Ok, so I'm getting a Glock after next paycheck. After that I want to build a tactical shotgun. Should I go with a cheap Remington 870 Express (290.00) and go form there. or, should I buy one of remington's Police shotguns, OR, lol, should I get a Wilson Combat shotgun? I know I want a sidesaddle holder, surefire light, and XS sights on the shotgun, I just don't know which one I want.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

I would start with the remington police shotty and build up ..

For my taste the wilson doesnt offer enough upgrade for the $$$$

Assistant Administrator
    I reckon myself a build on an 870 is well Ok - tho mine did start as the ''Magnum, Special Purpose'' and so it was pretty much good for me as it was. Only added mag extension. Plus too it is only 20" barrel as is.

I guess you'll want evil black furniture eh!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Justin,
    This is a good time to see what the 3 gunners are running and why.

If you were looking for a semi auto, Benelli is what most 3 gunners run. They just run and run.

If you are looking for a pump, the 870 likely the choice. I'd look for a good used one as opposed to the Express. If you want a "tactical" look, you can have an older blued gun duracoated or some other finish.

I use a built Winchester model 12 for 3 gun heavy metal. It's got great "cool factor" and runs like a scalded dog.

You can put a ton of money into a "name" pump shotgun but frankly (IMO) you can do the same build and save a bundle.
    Good luck,
    Dave

I was also thinking of a Remington 11-87 with a Mesa Tactical 8 shot side saddle holder, XS Rifle sights, and a Choate combat bolt. And maybe later on adding a Surefire X200B to it? I've never shot naythign other than a mossberg 590 and it was CRAP. So I sort of have issues with shotguns.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

870 wingmaster with plug removed, mix of 1oo,2oo and3oo with 5extra on the butt (elastic holder) brinkman hand held light. Man if BG wants some of that then o-well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin,
    PM me and I'll give you the phone # of the gunshop where Mrs. Airedale's 1187 for 3 gun is located.(I sold it)
    It's set up pretty much as you described-actually with speed gate and mag tube extension too. If you can make it run reliably, you'll have something.
    I know 3 gun isn't "real world" but it is a good test bed for what works and what doesn't. There are many folks who can keep an 1100/1187 running under competition circumstances. I'm not one of them.
    Mrs. Airedale likes her guns to run. She shoots a Benelli M1 now. It was mine-I cut the stock down and raised the comb to fit her. I hate to admit it but other than a bore snake and some lube, it hasn't been really cleaned...ever. It runs and runs. (note to self-clean Benelli)
    Your original 870 is a good one.
    Dave

Sounds to me as if you need to spend some more trigger time on various platforms before you make up your mind what you want to put _your_ money down on. Lots of differences in 'feel' and manual of arms between pumps and semis, lots of different makes/models of each that are worth considering. Talk to your friends and acquaintances, buy some practice ammo (light loads of birdshot will do for most) and see if you can get invited for some range time with different platforms. 'Job 1' is to decide what it is that you want for the task(s) you have in mind, best to think through what you want the gun to do for you as part of deciding what to get.

Reliability between pumps and semis these days is hardly a factor given good ammo and proper maintenance. A pump is a bit more versatile in that it will handle light loads the semi chokes on, if that is a consideration. There is not really much else to differentiate between pumps and semiautos save cost, and that is apt to be a considerable diference. Semiautos are likely to cost twice as much or more than pumps.

If you are getting a shotgun with the intent of actually learning to shoot it, I suggest starting out with a 'stock' or plain jane version of whatever you decide you like. Spend your money on ammo early along rather than accessories and shoot that sucker until it handles like it is part of you. Then start working on making it into what you want, once you have an appreciation for the feel and handling characteristics of the basic gun. You will be more able to add things to the gun that help it perform better for _you_ at that point, rather than working off some arbitrary list of what a properly accessorized shotgun is s'pozed to wear this season.

Note that I have nothing against accessories on guns. I just like for bolt-ons to add functionality rather than detract from it. And I do not believe it is possible to buy skill and ability in boxes and blister packs and bolt it onto a gun, that takes time and practice and there are no shortcuts. Some things CAN help a shooter perform better. Some are like many fishing lures, more designed to catch fishermen than fish.

Good luck with the project, have fun and stay safe,

lpl/nc

Get a basic 870 or 11-87 and learn on it before buying any add-ons for it.

I recommend the Rems because there are more goodies for them out there.

If you're fairly new to the world of combat shotties & IF you decide for whatever reason that a pump is the way to go.....then you MUST concentrate on proper technique for ejecting the rounds quickly. Especially under stress. IMHO the best way to do this safely is under the watchful eyes of an IDPA S.O. on an IDPA shotgun course of fire. The time being your primary stressor here.

The problem with stress and pumps seems to be that in the heat of the moment, there is a distinct tendency to short stroke the pump, thereby causing a double feed that will be very difficult to clear quickly. If you're in a fight, this might prove fatal unless you can transition to your handgun immediately. I personally prefer the semiauto as it shoots very fast and reliably as long as full house loads (any dram size) are used.

I have an O-L-D Benelli M121 that was the precursor to the current M90. Mine has the most beautiful wood furniture I have ever seen on nearly any shotgun and at the same time is set up for pure combat with a pro-ported barrel, ghost ring sights and a side mounted sling. It will empty an eight round extended tube before the first hull hits the dirt. Because the entire huge bolt group is in motion it reduces felt recoil to a gentle push.

The pumps I have fired seem to be much heavier kickers and that cuts down on the followup shot, plus you have to correctly work that pump and that brings your sights off the target at least a little bit and maybe a lot.

The Remington M11-87 is a good choice in a semi but the Rolls Royce is obviously the Benelli. Witness the huge military contract they just got from the USMC.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

:) thanks for the info guys.

Lead Moderator
    Lots of good choices out there. I like the versitility of the pump myself. Along with the lighter weight than a semi. If i choose I can shoot all kinds of specialty rounds thru my pump with out fear of cycling problems.

Links