Help with big game rifle?

This is a discussion on Help with big game rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking into getting a rifle for large game. Such as brown bear. Looking for a rifle that is well under a $1000. Also ...

I am looking into getting a rifle for large game. Such as brown bear. Looking for a rifle that is well under a $1000. Also one that has good ammo availability/cost. Not something I will shoot very much just something I want to have if needed. Thanks
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

What type of distance will you be shooting? Open sights or optics?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Marlin 1895M in .450 Marlin. Good for anything on dry land.

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

You live in S. FL, I used to live in AK.
    For hunting brown bears I would recommend a grenade launcher from a helocopter. (wear brown hunting pants)

I found part of an article for you...

Five Seconds of Pure Terror

I once read that hunting grizzly and brown bear is really nothing more than days of boredom followed by five seconds of pure terror. A truer statement has never been made. Often the hunt consists of nothing more than glassing, glassing, glassing while waiting, waiting, waiting in weather that is marginal, bad, or worse. It's easy to get bored stiff. Then, seemingly out of nowhere a bear appears. When it does, the hackles on the back of your neck come to full attention, your palms start to sweat, your heart begins to race. You begin to doubt your courage, your ability to keep your cool and make the shot.

When you do, and you sit beside the most magnificent game animal of them all, stroking that lush hide, feeling those powerful shoulders and dagger-like front claws, it's a feeling of euphoria that is impossible to explain. Try it sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

Equipment

When hunting both mountain grizzlies and brown bears, it is important to shoot the largest caliber rifle you can shoot well. It is much better to use a bit less rifle you are comfortable with than a heavy caliber that makes you flinch and shoot poorly. For mountain bears, a .30-06 would be my minimum, with the various .300 magnums even better and the .338 Win. and Ultra magnums, and .340 Wby. Mag., superb. For brown bears it is tough to beat the venerable .375 H&H Magnum, though some folks use .338's and some jump up tone of the .416's. Personally, when hunting mountain bears I use a custom Remington Model 700 with synthetic stock and stainless metalwork in .300 Win. Mag. and loaded with either a 180-grain Nosler Partition or Winchester Fail-Safe bullet topped with a 2.5-10X scope. For brown bears I have a Remington Model 700 KS Mountain rifle on which I shortened the barrel to 21-inches and added a muzzle brake, topped with a 1.5-6X Bausch & Lomb Elite scope loaded with factory ammo featuring either the 270-grain Remington Core-Lokt or 300-grain Nosler Partition bullet.

Taxonomically, both the coastal brown bear and mountain, or interior, grizzly, are the same animal.
    The importance of a well-placed first shot cannot be overemphasized. Three times I have had the "pleasure" of helping the clients of one of my outfitter friends trailing poorly-hit interior bears into mountainside alder patches so thick you can barely walk through them. Each time the bear has come for us, and so far we've been able to stop him before he got to us. So far. I wouldn't want to make my living doing this, though.

Stay armed...enjoy the hunt...stay (home) safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    How about a Garand from CMP? .30-06 isn't too weak for a bear is it?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I would look at Savage in 338 win. mag, good rifle and affordable.
    Take a peak--- http://www.savagearms.com/116fxp3.htm
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

It would be hard to beat a good bolt action chambered for the .338 Winchester Magnum. Flat shooting and hard hitting even at long ranges. The recoil is manageable.

I'm not too keen on magnum rifle cartridges with less than .30 bore diameter. They don't really do anything that a .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, or .30-06 can't accomplish with equal aplomb. The .30 magnums begin to throw enough bullet weight to make a difference and the .338 Win. Magnum is even more worth while. I'm of the opinion that the .338 Win. Magnum is the next logical step up in big game effectiveness from the .30-06 (my personal all time favorite).

My brother-in-law has a Howa .338 Win. Magnum and I'm well impressed with it. I have a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H Magnum and while it's powerful and accurate it soon ceases to be a novelty when extended firing sessions are conducted.

If it was me I would go for the 375 H&H. The CZ 550 American Magnum is affordable. I have one and mine is very accurate.

Remington model 700 300 Ultra Mag. It has plenty of hitting power and is a great long distance weapon. It comes in many finishes and stock materials at a very fair price.

Are you talking Coastal brown/Kodiak bears or the inland grizzly? Kodiak and coastal brown bears grow much larger than grizzly. For brown I would say 338 Win Mag at a minimum. For grizz 30 cal magnums are sufficient.

As far as ammo availability here in bush Alaska (that is, off the road system) you're safe if stick with the common calibers. 30-06, 300 win mag, 338 win mag can be found pretty easily in the smaller village stores. It would stink to pay big to come up and hunt only to have the airlines loose your bag with the ammo. I've never seen 300 Ultra mag, or any of the short mag calibers out here.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
    Are you talking Coastal brown/Kodiak bears or the inland grizzly? Kodiak and coastal brown bears grow much larger than grizzly. For brown I would say 338 Win Mag at a minimum. For grizz 30 cal magnums are sufficient.

As far as ammo availability here in bush Alaska (that is, off the road system) you're safe if stick with the common calibers. 30-06, 300 win mag, 338 win mag can be found pretty easily in the smaller village stores. It would stink to pay big to come up and hunt only to have the airlines loose your bag with the ammo. I've never seen 300 Ultra mag, or any of the short mag calibers out here.
    Great advice so far, he just forgot to give out advice on the gun. Ruger SS / Composite . Bear country can be brutal. Ruger also has the best scope mounts, less screws and parts to work loose.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Links