A couple Mossberg 935 and Remington 1187 questions

This is a discussion on A couple Mossberg 935 and Remington 1187 questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking at a Mossberg 935 today. It was the package that comes with a turkey barrel and a field barrel and shoots 3 ...

Thread: A couple Mossberg 935 and Remington 1187 questions

A couple Mossberg 935 and Remington 1187 questions

I was looking at a Mossberg 935 today. It was the package that comes with a turkey barrel and a field barrel and shoots 3 1/2" shells. I was wondering if it's a decent gun and also would it be worth me looking at the 1187 (and paying more for it) as well.

A couple specific questions...

Does anyone know where the 1187 safety is? On the remington site it looks like its behind the trigger. The mossberg thumb safety seems a lot more user friendly and more natural position.

Do either shoot 2 3/4" shells or does the 3 1/2" capability mean that a 2 3/4" shell just doesn't have enough power to cycle the action?

I'll be using this gun to hunt turkey, possibly waterfoul eventually and as a temporary skeet gun until I spring for an over/under.

2. Remove Ads

11-87 safety us behind the trigger. I like the Moss location also, but only have Remington shotties in my house. Family tradition...

You can get a 3" model that will shoot 2-3/4". I'm not sure whether the 3-1/2" model can or can't shoot all 3 sizes?
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

i'm a remington guy too. I grew up in central NY, not far from the Remington factory in Ilion, NY.

I've read some things about people having problems with the 935. A plastic part breaking where the magazine meets the receiver and the gas system being poor in general.

Administrator
    The Mossberg is somewhat new to the market, and the Remington has much better aftermarket support. This is very important since you want it to take on multiple roles.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have no personal experience with the 935 shotgun but I was recently at my local dealer purchasing a shotgun for my Grandson for Christmas. I was originally looking at the Mossberg 500, 535, & 835 pump guns. Since I have no experience with any Mossberg, I asked my dealer if they had experienced any problems or returns on them. He said no, they had excellent luck with the Mossberg pump guns and that the only Mossberg guns they had experienced problems with were the 900 series auto-loaders. Since I wasn't looking at an auto anyway, I didn't get into a deep discussion of the problems, but he's never steered me wrong about firearm reliability.

BTW, I ended up getting him a Benelli Nova Max-4 HD. I do have experience with Benelli shotguns and figured the extra $60.00 was worth it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have the 11-87 Trap Special and the saftey is behind the trigger. My shotgun can work with 3'' shells and it loads everything under 3'' with no problem for well over 14 years of trap shooting service. After winning a MTA and ATA lifetime membership from shooting my 11-87 I cannot even begin to tell you how reliable my shotgun has been for me after a LOT (I mean a LOT) of shells run through it at the 25 yardline and from way back in the handicap! No problems ever! Not even a hiccup! The only problem I have ever encountered was with a shell that I reloaded myself and forgot to put powder in lol.

Hope this helps!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Well, despite a few bad things about it on the internet I got the 935. I'll be a very occasional/light user so I wasn't about to spend a fortune on a gun. I did read that mossberg redesigned the plastic part that was breaking.

The 11-87 was my only other option (since I wanted semi-auto) and the safety position was the real deal-breaker on that one.

cvhoss, how is that Benelli? I looked at those in the store even though I didn't want another pump gun and the action felt pretty lose and "cheap" for lack of a better word. I figured it was just me since I've never heard anything but praise about them. The semi-auto version of that gun was something like $1200 though.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    .......................cvhoss, how is that Benelli? I looked at those in the store even though I didn't want another pump gun and the action felt pretty lose and "cheap" for lack of a better word. I figured it was just me since I've never heard anything but praise about them. The semi-auto version of that gun was something like $1200 though.
    I haven't fired that gun as it's a gift for my Grandson. I do have 3 other Benelli shotguns. A Super Black Eagle, a M1 Super 90 Tactical, and a Nova H2O. All have been outstanding shotguns and I've never had any reason to doubt their reliability.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

So far I think I should have bought a Remington.

I had a broken front sight fiber optic tube right out of the box. Since Dick's is "all firearm sales are final" I didn't bother with them and sent email to mossberg customer service last night. No response today.

I took it apart to clean the cosmoline off all the parts. The turkey choke tube was covered in rust on the threads. Some blue wonder and an M16 brush took it off but I shouldn't have to do that with a brand new gun. I'm going to assume the threads in the barrel are rusty too, haven't gotten to that yet. The modified choke tube in the other barrel looked OK at least. Some of the other parts like the link and the elevator looked fine but when I rubbed them with oil a lot of rust came off on the rag.

I spent about 45 minutes on what was supposed to be a quick cleaning and haven't cleaned the barrels or the parts inside the stock yet. Probably another 45 minutes of work to do on it.

Links