New BushMaster Ar15 A2 Style

New BushMaster Ar15 A2 Style

This is a discussion on New BushMaster Ar15 A2 Style within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased a new Ar15 by Bushmaster over the weekend. It is pretty basic and I like it that way for now. However, I may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking New BushMaster Ar15 A2 Style

I purchased a new Ar15 by Bushmaster over the weekend. It is pretty basic and I like it that way for now.

However, I may want to add a few things in the future. My model does not have a removable carry handle so I was looking to add (in the future) some picatinny rails to the handle and the forend handguard.

There seems to be many out there. Wondering if you guys can point me in a solid direction. I just cannot believe how many options there are for this amazing gun.

Options for the future I am looking into would be an EOtech scope, a light, and possibly a vertical grip.

Might take a look at the UTG quad rail hand guards. After a few years and GG&G attachments for the carbine length hand guards, I finally went this route myself. You'll be able to attach the light, the pistol grip, a bipod, etc...... Quality for the price IMO, and besides....if you're wanting an EOTech sight, you'll want to save all you can for the big dog. Carry handle mount isn't much of an issue depending on you and the optic chosen mainly. Carry handle mounting is not conducive to good cheek weld/sight alignment, but you will want to look at a carry handle mount that is 'see-through' so you can use your iron sights at any time for back-up, or sight verification. Leapers makes or made a decent 4x scope that comes with an integral carry handle mount that worked well for me and no issues at all. Cheap maybe, but functional none-the-less. I do keep a 40mm red dot on my removable carry handle, and it makes for quick target acquisition. It's placed well forward on the handle for best sight alignment for me. You've got your AR-15 now, and you spent some jack. In my opinion, you shouldn't need to spend another grand on getting things the way you want, and doing it solidly with no regrets. In the back of my mind, (as usual) I figure this thread heading to the higher price bracket almost immediately. But at least I've told you the truth as I see it. Oh....and we'll be waiting for pics by the way....just whenever you get a chance....pics of your new Bushmaster...not you. We already know you have a smile on your face. Take care.

The A2 is a good choice,One thing I've learned over time is the AR15 platform is the easiest I have ever worked on.with just a couple tools you can build a gun from the ground up.Or with the basic rifle if you want a shorter barreled upper all you gotta do is pop 2 pins remove and replace and your good to go
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I too am building an AR, it is my current project (obsession).

Check the sightline height above the rail for handle mounted optics. Since you have the rifle you can take some measurements and make sure you are happy with where the sight will mount.

Personally I want a scope but also would like the capability of using the iron sights for close-in shots. My plan is to get a high mount scope with see through rings. As it is the flat top I will build needs a little more lift for the line of sight. You want your cheek weld (how your face melds against the butt stock) to put your eyeball in line with your primary optic.

I agree there are way too many options on the optics for an AR and since I am an engineer I am always looking for specs and dimensions and finding none.

Good luck..

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Congrats on the new AR. The Bushmaster is a good choice. You're exactly right, the options for an AR are mind boggling. Far too many choices in optics and accesories.

Not to drive you away from here but you may want to lurk over at ARFCOM and view all the pics of the member rifles there. You'll be amazed at the ways to trick out an AR.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Not to drive you away from here but you may want to lurk over at ARFCOM and view all the pics of the member rifles there. You'll be amazed at the ways to trick out an AR.
    Also you can find some good deals on the EE as long as you are not in a hurry.
    Congrats on the new AR.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Rifle length or carbine?

If you don't mind dropping some $, the DD Omega Rifle Length is awesome: Daniel Defense Omega Rail Rifle Free Float

They also make a carbine length as well. Daniel Defense Omega Rail Carbine Free Float

They are pricey, but really high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by dealer View Post
    Rifle length or carbine?

If you don't mind dropping some $, the DD Omega Rifle Length is awesome: Daniel Defense Omega Rail Rifle Free Float

They also make a carbine length as well. Daniel Defense Omega Rail Carbine Free Float

They are pricey, but really high quality.
    ...and made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    and we'll be waiting for pics by the way....just whenever you get a chance....pics of your new Bushmaster...not you. We already know you have a smile on your face. Take care.

Here are the pictures. It is very basic...And I love the possibilities!

Thanks for all the advice. That Daniels Omega Rail is nice. A little pricey. Also like that quad Rail that you have Ram Rod. I may be getting that one soon!
    Attached Images

So it's a 20" barrel rifle then? Full length hand guards. I always liked the look of the tear drop forward assist over the round. I know, one should never need it, but it looks closer to the M16 of days gone by for me. If you end up shooting it a lot, a better grip would well be worth it IMO. I still have my GG&G light mount that is attachable to the carbine or full length hand guards, and I could send it to you if you'd like. You'd need to drill some holes in your hand guards (2), and it mounts as shown in the following web page. If you had have had the carbine model, I'd send you the complete hand guard set with the mount installed. I've used my M-3 and M-6 on this, and it's more solid than the hand guards themselves actually. This is it:
    GG&G AR15M16 Accessory

Congrats on the rifle and welcome to the black gun club!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So it's a 20" barrel rifle then? Full length hand guards. I always liked the look of the tear drop forward assist over the round. I know, one should never need it, but it looks closer to the M16 of days gone by for me. If you end up shooting it a lot, a better grip would well be worth it IMO. I still have my GG&G light mount that is attachable to the carbine or full length hand guards, and I could send it to you if you'd like. You'd need to drill some holes in your hand guards (2), and it mounts as shown in the following web page. If you had have had the carbine model, I'd send you the complete hand guard set with the mount installed. I've used my M-3 and M-6 on this, and it's more solid than the hand guards themselves actually. This is it:
    GG&G AR15M16 Accessory
    Thanks a lot RamRod. I do have a 20' barrel. I was under the impression that I had a "standard" size Hand Rail. Is there a difference in a standard size and a full size hand rail? I was looking at that UTG quad rail and it said it was for standard size rifle hand rails.

Also, would that UTG hand rail get in the way of your GG&G light mount? It seems my sling strap might interfere with the light mount as well.

Thank you for all the help. I really enjoy learning about this. I am proud to call myself addicted.

My GG&G mount is for the stock hand guards only (carbine or standard). There are those that attach to the quad rail fore end, and they will of course attach to one of the rails, but they have the integral mount for the light at a 45 angle to position it in the same position as shown in the illustration above. Similar to these here:

GG&G or YHM have these. I've picked up lots of goodies at some gun shows as well, such as my front sling swivel attachment to the quad rail so I can mount my bipod to it like this one:

The quad rail from most any manufacturer will double the modularity of your AR-15 rifle. As far as defining standard and full length hand guards, I figure those terms are interchangeable. Hope I answered your questions.

How many bells and whistles are you hoping to hang on your rifle? If you just want to hang a light or a laser or both on the front there is no need to drop big $$$ on a quad rail fore end. If you shop the various parts sites or shop at Gander Mountain you can find what you need for under about $20. There is a picatinny rail set that mounts to the front sight. It gives a rail on each side. I picked up a twin rail set at Gander that mounts to the handguards and gives you two rails off set to 45 degrees. You can't mount a verticle foregrip on either of these, but so far I haven't needed one on my rifle or my carbine.
    There is also a forward mount rail for optics that mounts to the carry handle and will put your red dot on plane with the iron sights.
    You can spend a lot of money on your new friend, but really don't have to.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    You can spend a lot of money on your new friend, but really don't have to.
    Exactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links