Remington Spartan 12 gauge

This is a discussion on Remington Spartan 12 gauge within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This isn't exactly S/D but: Looking for input from anyone that may own a Spartan. I'm looking at an over under for my son as ...

Thread: Remington Spartan 12 gauge

This isn't exactly S/D but:
    Looking for input from anyone that may own a Spartan.
    I'm looking at an over under for my son as a Christmas present.
    For the last 4 years I've taken him skeet & trap shooting and he has really enjoyed. I'm not a bird hunter so that's as far as we ever get.

I wanted to get him his own gun but really can't afford a Citori or an STS. At the same time I want to get him something that is going to last and keep him interested in the sport, as well as something he could use for S/D and teach his kids to shoot one day.

Buds has what I would consider to be a fair price on the shotgun:
    Remington Spartan O/U

Remington Spartan O/U 89560 SPR310 $320.00

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to ya all!
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I would steer clear of that gun. When I was looking at a Skeet gun I started testing guns. I started with that one. That thing is rugged and its built like a fence post however, the checkering on it was "sharp" and the stock was extremely cast off.

Cast off is where the rear of the stock is actually turned slightly, this is really popular in Europe. Guns are made that way to help them be mounted easier by a right handed shooter. However, since I'm a Lefty this was very bad. To check this put the muzzle don the ground and look down the centerline of the gun. You will see a distinct turn in the stock. I noticed them much more with the Spartans. IIRC the gun is imported by Remington, made by a Russian company called Baikal.

I would look at a Charles Daly since they are kind of the same gun as a Browning. If memory serves me Browning makes the Charles Daly and your getting it for a lot less. The Second gun I tests was a Miroku which is the Browning made in Japan. That gun was very nice and is basically a Browning as well at about half the price. I did bite the bullet and now shoot a Citori for skeet; however I shoot a 391 Beretta for Trap and that is also a very nice gun.

Also, look at the new Mossbergs, I've heard nothing but good things and the price is very appealing. My boss shoots a stoeger Condor. That thing is "STIFF".

But look at a Daly, Miroku, and even a Mossberg. I would however steer clear of the Rem Spartans/Baikals.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I don't know anything about the Spartan other than it's made in Russia and pretty heavy. So I have no first hand knowledge there. I do know one guy who has a Bakail,,which is the same gun pretty much and he has fired several thousand rounds at sporting clays with no problem as far as function.

However, I want to second the recommendation of the Mossberg o/u shotguns. They are probably the best balanced and best looking guns in that price range and seem to be pretty durable from what I have seen.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Don't count out Stoeger...even a double barrel...take a look!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mo
    You owe it to your son to look into CZ. Only a bit more than the Mossberg and easily twice the gun. I shoot with folks who use the real deal - everything from classic LCs to modern Brownings and Berettas, and people are always surprised by my Canvasback. Fit, finish and quality are on par with an entry level Citori.

CZ USA Canvasback 12ga 28" Walnut Blue 5 CKS #981 : Over Under at GunBroker.com

This one can be had for 6 bills.

Thanks guys for the great advice.
    I really looked at the big picture here and thought hard about the purchase and the need to get him a "prestige" shotgun. Bottom line came down to how often he would use a O/U vs getting him something with a tactical application, guess what.... I saved a few $$$'s and got him an 870 Express with the 6 round extension. His eyes lit up this morning and it really made his Christmas.
    He's already talking about getting some range time on it.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Sponsored Links