Best shotgun round for HD

This is a discussion on Best shotgun round for HD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know, I know, any round would drop a BG... Shot placement etc... Currently I have slugs in my HD shottie. If I were to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best shotgun round for HD

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Best shotgun round for HD

I know, I know, any round would drop a BG... Shot placement etc... Currently I have slugs in my HD shottie. If I were to change it to buck shot, what would be the best?

2. Remove Ads

I prefer 00 buck but I have heard #4 is a good 1st round.

Mmmm 'kay.

Assuming you don't have friendlies in other rooms, a slug would be a fine starter. 00, 000 or #4 are all acceptable indoors, though #4 is reaching the bottom of most accepted modern lethality standards.

Birdshot is occassionally "recommended," but you seem like a nice guy, so I'll tell you: "Don't." Corrections uses #7 & 8 for a reason- they don't have the primary aim of neutralizing the target, only disabling it.

I like back-bored, long-forcing cone guns too. If you can afford it, great. However, proper load testing and patterning, particularly with premium loads (Tac, Reduced Recoil, etc..) may produce very similar results without the 'smithing.

EDIT: IMO 00 buck will suit just fine. Check out http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm great FYI on shotgun vs. drywall.
    Last edited by j21blackjack; December 18th, 2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added on topic response.

I see no sense in buying an $800 dollar shottie when a $250 dollar one does the same thing.

Either way some good responses so far.

Senior Moderator
    Boy you opened a can of worms.

At most HD ranges 00 or #4 buck will be fine. This depends on the structure of your walls and your thoughts on HD see http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tion-long.html

If you have standard walls you might want to stick with #4 buck

In my HD shotgun I have 00 buck loaded and slugs in a butt pouch shell holder.

I personally prefer a pistol caliber carbine for HD
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I chose 00.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I alternate slugs and 00 in the mag tube. 00 slug 00 slug 00 ... etc.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I use Federal H132 00 buckshot for my HD loads; I was turned on to this load back in the '90s by a DEA agent that used to shoot with us. He told us that the load has a specially designed wad and powder loading to reduce recoil. The agent was telling us that he used it in his entry gun.

I guess if it is OK for him it's good enough for me....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

At most HD ranges 00 or #4 buck will be fine. This depends on the structure of your walls and your thoughts on HD see http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tion-long.html

Mine is loaded the exact same way.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

My concern is over penetration. I live in town in rows of townhouses. I'm at the end of one building with about a 10 foot wide sidewalk between us and the next building. We have many windows and the rest of the wall is brick.

Me

My needs are a bit different. I have an infant son and a semi-disabled relative as well as my wife and I in a split plan home. I have strategically placed heavy furniture to armor the boy's room, but I still have concerns. My go-to shotgun is loaded with Federal Flite Control #6 birdshot. I used to keep Federal Personal Defense #2 birdshot in it, but it shoots a very wide pattern by design, the FLite Control keeps more pellets on target at the ranges I might have to shoot (short). If you pick the 00 loads, they make a great low recoil Flite Control load, too. I also keep a dedicated Glock 17 with a light, laser, and night sights and some light and fast non-bonded Cor Bon in it. My house is typical Florida construction and if I fired a slug, it would predictably stop about in my neighbor's kitchen if it missed.

And to be even more different, my wifes go-to shotgun in a Mossberg HD .410 with 000 buck. She is willing to shoot it, which is not true of the 20 or 12 gauges, and her lane of fire is limited with it. it's a stay-in-place kind of gun in our HD plan and has a safe field of fire from her position of cover to the door. Heavy bookshelf, hardwood bed frame, and gun safe as a backstop.

At close ranges like the ones in my house, i am totally confident in the birdshot being effective. I havezero concerns about it's "stopping power".

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    My concern is over penetration. I live in town in rows of townhouses. I'm at the end of one building with about a 10 foot wide sidewalk between us and the next building. We have many windows and the rest of the wall is brick.
    At 10 yards, shot pattern will be 10 inches or less. That's 30 feet and likely your shot would be significantly closer.
    At COM, likely no strays.
    Any that might pass through COM won't have enough steam left to be lethal very far, with 2 3/4" shells.

Odds of you and yours being killed by NOT STOPPING the BG by using some gimmicky round are much higher than injurious collateral damage.

All IMHO.

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    At close ranges like the ones in my house, i am totally confident in the birdshot being effective. I havezero concerns about it's "stopping power".
    #6 will spread significantly more than 00. Past about 10 feet it will leave a horrendous, but relatively shallow wound. Remember, that hole you see in paper, or even a watermelon, is not flesh and bone.

If not in the face to blind BG, he has plenty of time to unload his entire magazine at you - he might even hit you blind.

All IMHO.

"use birdshot if you expect to be attacked by birds"

- OS

VIP Member
    #4 Buck, out of a short(ish) barreled shotgun, will do all that you need it to do at very close ranges without doing too much of what you don't want it to do...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links