Looking to buy another shotgun

This is a discussion on Looking to buy another shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My first firearm that I purchased on my own was a Remington 870 Express Magnum, but I ended up selling it to a friend. Now ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

My first firearm that I purchased on my own was a Remington 870 Express Magnum, but I ended up selling it to a friend. Now I have a hole in my collection where a shotgun should be. I had the chance to shoot a Benelli Nova 12 ga. with a pistol grip stock, and ghost ring sights. I really enjoyed it, and recoil was more than manageable. I want to get a shotgun with ghost ring sights, and am considering the Benelli Nova. I am also looking at the Remington 870 Marine Magnum, and Mossberg 500 which I know is good.

I ran a search on the Nova, but couldn't find much on it. This will probably be my first firearm purchase for 2009, and would like to keep it under 500 dollars. Does Remington make an 870 with ghost rings, or Mossberg?

Thanks in advance!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

A buddy of mine has the Nova and he really likes it. I like my Benelli but its not a Nova - I'd go with whatever comes into your shoulder the nicest.

Austin

yep...whatever feels good on how it mounts to your shoulder and how fast.
    I like my winchester 1300 speedpump. Its alloy receiver makes it lighter than others but it can still shoot more than I can put thru it in my lifetime.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

The 870 comes however you want it basically....I don't know for under five bills, but it's possible I'd guess. If you're looking for another Remington, I think the rebates are good until Dec 31, 2008 on new purchases. The 'Desert Recon' has had some very good reviews. After having a Mossberg, and an Ithaca, I went for a Remington 870 model myself this past year. My former Ithaca is the only thing I can think of that was best for me. Why I let it go is beyond me, but what's done is done. It was circa 1976 37a police model. Best I ever had, but I'm liking my 870 a lot.

If you want a really good semi-auto for a really friendly price, you can have a look at H&R Excell Auto 5.
    "All men are by nature free and independent, and have certain inalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property: and pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness."

(CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA, 1849)

I prefer pump, it's going to be used primarily for HD, but want the option of swapping out barrels. I don't know if that's possible with the Benelli Nova.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I'm not sure if the nova is made any longer...They're called the Supernova now. If you shot one with a pistol grip, it was a Supernova. I got mine with an 18" barrel and ghost ring sights out the door for 460. Not too sure about being able to swap barrels. I couldn't be any happier with mine.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Thanks for the feedback. You'd think after 1000 posts, I'd be pretty knowledgeable about these kinds of things LOL! I think I'm going to go ahead with the Benelli Super Nova. Since this will be primarily an HD gun, I won't really have to worry about swapping out barrels. I can always get a shotgun made for hunting and sport shooting later.

I know you can swap the barrels, but finding them is not easy. I am currently looking for an 18" barrel for my Nova. It has a 28" barrel currently.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I have a closet full of Winchester 1300s/speed pumps and love them all.

I've got an 870 and a couple mossys, but the speed pumps are soooooo much smoother, faster and more reliable.

Don't have a Benelli, never been impressed by the nova. It feels like a cheap piece of plastic and is way more expensive than the others.

If you can find a good old-model Win 1300 Defender, you will be impressed. For about half the price of the nova too.

The Benelli Nova has the shell-stop button, that enables the shooter to unload the chamber, without rounds leaving the mag tube, turning the shotgun into a single shot pump gun. Good if you what to run slugs and you have the tube loaded with buckshot
    Semper Fi

SubNine

I think any of the scatterguns you metioned will be a good one. I have not owned a supeer Nova but have spend time with the Nova, a reasonable pump gun.

A thought on GRS, if your main nitch for this scattergun is home defense, these sights are rather usless. A bead is much faster at close range. Take the money saved and by more ammo and practice.

Scattergun Bob says, "they come out of the factory box simple, near perfect and ready to GO, you just have to learn how to press that GO BUTTON."

Good Luck & Stay Safe
    First, With The Most, WINS!

Regards, Scattergun Bob

i would get another 870 and add what i want to it. hard to beat an 870. look for a used one and fix her up.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I originally wanted a Nova/Supernova because they felt very comfortable to me. However after much research and trigger time with different pumps, I ended up going with a Remington 870 Police and am glad I did.

You can drop a Mossberg 500 in mud and the thing will still shoot reliably. I'd trust my life to one without thinking twice.

Same deal with it's nearly identical clone, the Maverick 88...also made by Mossberg. I got one of the more rare ones with the double armed forend...meaning the aftermarket Mossberg 500 forends will fit...so all the better.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links