Remington 870 w/ Knoxx Spec Ops

Remington 870 w/ Knoxx Spec Ops

This is a discussion on Remington 870 w/ Knoxx Spec Ops within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked this up. Any idea why in the pics it looks rusted, but it is not visible to the eye? I am a shotgun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 w/ Knoxx Spec Ops

Question Remington 870 w/ Knoxx Spec Ops

Just picked this up. Any idea why in the pics it looks rusted, but it is not visible to the eye?

I am a shotgun noob so enlighten me. I know the 870's are bad ass and super reliable. I plan to use this mainly for home use and keep under my bed at night. Any modifications or changes I need to do?

How routinely do I need to clean it? What should I do before I fire it?

Any certain accessories I "need"

Also, what is the recommended way to store it? Currently it is in a Sack Up's rifle sock. Also, what is the standard way to store it with rounds in it? What is the orange plug in it where you load the ammo?

I added a flashlight to mine. You can get relatively cheap once at cheaperthandirt.com , or you can get the "official" one for $250 or such.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    Just picked this up. Any idea why in the pics it looks rusted, but it is not visible to the eye?

I am a shotgun noob so enlighten me. I know the 870's are bad ass and super reliable. I plan to use this mainly for home use and keep under my bed at night. Any modifications or changes I need to do?

How routinely do I need to clean it? What should I do before I fire it?

Any certain accessories I "need"

Also, what is the recommended way to store it? Currently it is in a Sack Up's rifle sock. Also, what is the standard way to store it with rounds in it? What is the orange plug in it where you load the ammo?
    Clean it the first time, and after you shoot it. 870 break down is rather simple if you want to clean the entire bolt and lube. Accessories? I got one of those green tactical Wilson followers for mine. The orange follower is sort of cheesy IMO. Find them on EBay. I store my 870 with a full magazine (six), and safety off, empty chamber.
    Remington Shotgun Follower - Shotgun Accessories - Tactical equipment,

You can find a Remington 870 operator's manual here. I suggest reading it thoroughly.

The only thing you "need" to do is read that manual, and practice with your shotgun. It doesn't "need" any add-ons or modifications. It will be far more reliable and accurate, as is, than you are.. My suggestion is to read that manual with UNLOADED shotgun in hand. Once you are comfortable with it, take it to the range and shoot it and shoot it some more. Get yourself a basic shotgun cleaning kit and keep it clean. Get yourself so familiar with it that you can strip it down to it's basic parts and put it back together with your eyes shut. Then go practice some more. Try different ammo, try different shooting positions... You will soon figure out what, if any, mods you would like to have on it. Just remember that just about anything you add on also adds weight possibly creating an unbalanced firearm that handles much different that a stock one.

As for keeping it loaded inside... I would urge you to not load it at ALL inside of your house until you are very familiar with how it, and everything on it, operates.
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

Quote Originally Posted by Engine1 View Post

As for keeping it loaded inside... I would urge you to not load it at ALL inside of your house until you are very familiar with how it, and everything on it, operates.
    The gun store I bought it from gave me some orange plastic dummy shells to train loading and unloading. And as said before: Don't keep a round in the chamber. I understand there is no firing pin safety so it can go off if dropped (see about "cruiser ready" in other threads here)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

That is super sexy. Congrats on the pick up. Can't wait to get my shotty next month......:(
    HK45c V1

Yeah, ditch the orange follower. It's a plastic cup that will crap itself at the worst possible moment (read: blow-out, and leave your magazine spring sticking out of the receiver.)

Vang follower- Brownells had the solid plastic one for $7, but I can't find it now.
    REM 870/11-87 STAINLESS STEEL FOLLOWER at Brownells

Vang big safety.
    REMINGTON 870 / 1100 / 11-87 BIG SPEED SAFETY at Brownells

XS 24/7 front.
    SHOTGUN BIG DOT TRITIUM FRONT SIGHT at Brownells

A quote off the packaging of a Knoxx SpecOps stock for the 870.

"WARNING: Remington 870 SpecOps Stocks CAN NOT be used with oversized or extended safeties. Oversized or extended safeties will cause product failure and possible injury."

FWIW, I've read the Vang should be avoided but the Wilson is OK? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

I cannot for the life of me get it deassembled. It is screwed down too tight!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    I cannot for the life of me get it deassembled. It is screwed down too tight!
    You'll have to remove the barrel clamp first. Then things will go as planned.

i got one that i use sometimes on "raids" at work. i dress it up with the extended mag, streamlight m3 tactical light, and a big head safety. i took off the remington police folding stock after 20 years of shoulder pain. i put on a collapsible stock, much better now.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

any there any affordable sights I can add to it? it doesnt really have anything on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    A quote off the packaging of a Knoxx SpecOps stock for the 870.

"WARNING: Remington 870 SpecOps Stocks CAN NOT be used with over sized or extended safeties. Over sized or extended safeties will cause product failure and possible injury."

WWI, I've read the Vang should be avoided but the Wilson is OK? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
    When I sent my 870 to Hans @ Vang Comp they simply cut out a very small area on the Knox spec Ops stock to accommodate their over sized safety. Regardless of what you read it's a non issue !

i use the sights that came on my 870. one guy at the office put on a set of wilson combat sights. they are nice, but he does not out shoot me on q-day. at the 50 yard line i can put three slugs in the center of the q target. all three real close to each other with the factory setup. the good thing about the 870 you don't have to dress it up to make it work. it will do all you need right out of the box.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    B-Square Mount REMINGTON 870/EXPRESS

And your choice of optics
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links