I can't believe it...I bought a Hi Point!

This is a discussion on I can't believe it...I bought a Hi Point! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Really, I can't...I'm usually a bit on the "snobbish" side when it comes to these guns... But I've been hearing good things about the carbine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe it...I bought a Hi Point!

I can't believe it...I bought a Hi Point!

Really, I can't...I'm usually a bit on the "snobbish" side when it comes to these guns...

But I've been hearing good things about the carbine for a long time. And with the possibility of an impending assault weapons ban, with these being on the list, I thought..."why not"...

Of course, the first thing I did was put an ATI stock on it. In typical Hi Point fashion, it was butt ugly from the factory! But with the ATI...

However with the ATI on there, it could actually be called attractive...I like the look a lot.

I've had it a while, but I've waited to post my opinion until I shot it some.

Right after I put the ATI on it, I went to the range and shot 500 trouble free rounds through it. I took it home, stripped it down, and cleaned the snot out of it with gun scrubber. I don't know the oiling procedure for these so I just gave it a dose of Rem oil where it looked like it could be useful and took a closer look at things. I was surprised to see little to no wear around the slide action, etc. I had halfway expected it to show a lot of wear after only 500 rounds.

Took it out again. 500 more trouble free rounds. Repeated the above procedure, same results.

Took it out again. 500 more....I think you know where I'm going.

Maybe Hi Point really does have something with these carbines? I've certainly heard nothing but positive and now I tend to believe it...

Once I got it sighted in, it's pretty damn accurate too. Surprisingly so. Which brings me to my next point. For such an inexpensive (I can't use the word "cheap" on this one) gun it has some nice sights on it. Rear ghost ring fully adjustable for elevation and windage. Mine even came with a laser, muzzle brake, strap, and all the tools necessary to disassemble it and to adjust the sights, laser, etc. Plus Hi Point's renowned customer service and warranty. Pretty awesome deal if you ask me.

Having said that, they cheaped out on the fit and finish and quality of materials in the stock. The stock that comes with it is cheap and flimsy plastic. It uses a simple bolt for the charging handle. It's finish would make a spray painted Civic look pretty. And the tolerances are loose, the magazine will rattle in the factory stock though it functions well. The ATI stock helps a lot with these issues. I put some rubber washers on the charging handle with JB weld (cheap gun cheap fix) and it worked well and looks pretty nice too.

I like this gun enough to trust it to be one of my SHTF guns as well as a fun range gun. My Mossberg tactical shotty is still my primary SHTF/HD gun but the carbine will be a nice addition. I plan on getting a couple of extra mags and putting them in my "emergency" bag...

So, there's a report from a "gun snob". I still don't think I'd like one of their handguns, but the carbine gets a positive rating from me. IMO though, the ATI is a must to get the most from this gun.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

Nice choice, and I understand...it was calling your name!

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The carbines are suppose to be good value for your money.I wouldn't mine having a 9mm.Last gun show I went to I was looking for one all they had was
    high point pistols.I don't want pistols! A carbine is alot cheaper than a marlin camp gun or a ruger,like half the price.Granted workmanship is no where near
    marlin or ruger but it would be fine for what I want.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wow, I've been agonizing over the same thing. A while back I picked up a Berretta Storm and love it's compact size and feel but it was $700. I don't need a compact 9mm carbine but loved the looks so in researching I came across the Hi-Point and the ATI stock. I've been mulling it over for weeks now and now I see your post.

I even called my gun shop and asked how much for a Hi-point. they don't sell them and wanted to know if I'm serious. I almost felt like I needed to be whispering "pssst, got a hi-point man?"

I thought about getting some duracoat and finishing the exposed metal to improve the looks and protect it from flash rusting..

Would love to see more closeup pics of yours if you could please!!!!

Also how hard was it to install the ATI stock? I've read from a number of folks that they had to do some minor fitting?

Thanks

Works good. Looks good. (with ATI stock)

Good.

Hi-Point 995

Congrats..I bought a new one at a pawnshop as really an afterthought..and of all the rifles I have , this is my fav one to shoot..and your right about them being butt ugly..but that doesnt matter to me at this point...I did order 3 more mags for mine thru hi-point and I use Blaze ammo..I didnt notice what ammo u listed ..but winchester will not work in it..I bought 300 rds of it before I found that out (now I have to buy me another 9mm for the lugar ammo:)..it kept double feeding and stuff..then it might shoot 3-4 rds ok..I called hi point up and they said "no winchester lugar ammo"..about any other ammo is fine..the 995 made me a fan of 9mm rifles for sure!..Enjoy

I can't believe it either.

Glad you like our stock! It was obviously inspired by the Beretta Storm, but we've done our own thing with it. While we're not making it for the .40 (something I take calls about EVERY day), we're considering it.

I'd love pictures of your HiPoint with our stock on it, and please lemme' know if you have ANY customer service issues related to our stock.

New for 2009, TONS of AR accessories and mounts, Remington 700 replacement stocks and some great stuff for your AK.

Merry Christmas to all from everyone at ATI!

Scot
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

the stock does make it look good. i have look at them, but i could never make myself buy one. something to do with how their pistols made. but i might change now.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Went to the range with friends today and, by chance, my buddy brought a Hi Point carbine that he'd just bought used. I shot it and it did pretty fine, I liked it. It did jam a few times though. And it really didn't like the aftermarket hi-cap (30?) mag my friend had bought for it.
    With the original stock it was u-g-l-y. But it was fun, too.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    That actually looks pretty darned nice, if they wern't restricted up here it would make a nice truck gun, congrts on the buy, now you still have money for ammo!!!

If only they made a (dependable!) high-cap magazine for these, I'd already own one (or two, or...). Ideal for a wife that isn't real big into shooting (She is pro-gun, and often packs her own), or for my teen-age girls, or for teaching others, etc. If TSHTF, and I had a few of these to "arm the troops," I'd feel reasonably secure (I teached them good ). 9mm ammo is cheap enough to keep everyone well-stocked. The only thing I dislike is the PC, Kalifornia/NJ/etc.-pandering 10-round magazine. A 20- or 25-rounder would be a great boost; doesn't have to be 30++, but that would be OK too . I know that someone makes larger mags (15-rnd I think), but I also know that they aren't always as dependable as they could be...
    Other than that one beef, they really are a bargain.
    I'll probably end up getting one, anyways. Maybe later someone will market the magazines I want.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Mxyzptlk, I've heard that aftermarket mags for these guns often jam as you described. Stick with factory mags and you should have no problem.

They are a bit on the small side, but they work well.

Gideon, on a scale of 1-10 I would rate this installation about a 3 or 4. It doesn't just snap in there but with a little mechanical work and some help with a drill if the receiver holes don't line up (mine didn't, 10 minutes with a drill and they did) and you're good to go.

Scot and Gideon, I would be happy to provide more pictures!

I don't like using flash (it really ruins the picture) so please excuse my attempts to provide light differently. Some pictures end up looking dark or bright.

I like the looks of this one.

ATI stock fits nice and snug against the receiver cover.

Biggest improvement is in this area. Holding the gun with the ATI feels much better than with the original stock. Original stock felt almost "greasy"...this one feels more textured and like a gun ought. You can also see my custom charging handle. Much easier on the hands than a straight bolt.

Compensator and sight don't really look multicolered in person as they do under this light, but I was trying to show the finish issues. Barrel has a nice bluing, but the compensator and sight could use some help. I plan on touching it up with cold blue (or duracoating it) and expect that will help a lot.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Bought one of these years ago when they first came out and had a blast with it. I don't remember it ever jamming. Wish I hadnt sold it.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the extra pics. I've always bought higher end equipment and guns. We don't have a lot but I'm a professional purchasing manager and there is a value point with most items. You can pay too little or too much and so I never considered pure entry level purchases but this one has me intrigued. I don't NEED a 9mm carbine. I just want one and I love the Berretta but it's $700 versus $250 for this w/the ATI stock.

I also happen to think that for under $50 a guy could duracoat the metal shroud and give it a really nice look. There's a guy that makes an aftermarket bolt handle that if it was covered in the same duracoat would look great. I'd leave off the front sight and just add (for now) a cheap red dot that's just sitting in my drawer and then get 3-4 of the 10 round mags.

By the time you're done I'm still probably under 1/2 the cost of the berretta. I will say that you can buy 33 and 20 round mags for the berretta. The 20 rounders would be great but they're still $50 a pop and again I don't need the capacity for defense because I'd grab my AR in 5.56 if I needed to really defend anything.

Anyway, thanks for the additional info. My gun dealer sounded reluctant to even try and order one for me.

I've bought a more than a few guns from him and he cuts me VERY good deals but seemed genuinely disappointed that i'd want to get the hi-point versus the berretta...

I might have to find a store in a town where no one knows me and buy one there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links