How Hard?

How Hard?

This is a discussion on How Hard? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all the hub bub about a new AWB, I went out and bought myself a Rock River stripped lower AR reciever. Now, I've read ...

Thread: How Hard?

How Hard?

With all the hub bub about a new AWB, I went out and bought myself a Rock River stripped lower AR reciever. Now, I've read all the other forums that say you can build it yourself, but I wonder how difficult it really is with no experience OR tools. I have the general household stuff, but no gunsmithing tools and have never attempted to do anything like it. The gunshop that I bought it from said that their gunsmith could easily build it in an hour or less. Is it worth attempting (once I can find the parts) or should I have a pro do it? I'd like to do another one down the road and the doing the first one could help out, if I do it right. Thoughts from those who have built one or had one built??
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

VIP Member
    Check out AR15.COM :: Information Library they will walk you through the complete assembly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Find the instructions on AR15.com and follow them. You won't have any problems. I built one and if I can, anybody can.

With about $50 worth of tools, you could do it all yourself. I love tools!

Assembling lowers is simple if you have even minimal mechanical or DIY experience. Not much you can do wrong. I agree, review the instructions on AR15.com and you will have no problem.

As for tools, you need a small punch to drive roll pins, a small hammer, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and a flat-blade screwdriver. If you choose to press some of the roll pins in, you need a pair of vise-grips. I drive some with a punch, and press others.

If you choose a collapsable stock, you will need a special wrench for that.

Get a LPK, spread it out on the kitchen table, and follow the instructions through before you start. Then go for it -- probably will take you 60-90 minutes the first time, about 40 minutes the second time.

Have fun! ARs are addicting.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Yes! You absolutely SHOULD do it yourself. Its a wonderful learning experience and will greatly boost your confidence and knowledge of your new weapon.

Its very easy. The only part you might have trouble with is the hammer and trigger springs installation. It is common and easy to get them backwards which will result in lite primer strikes.

A good review of the link to AR15 site will let you print out the instructions to do the build. MidwayUSA site also has a great tech section with instructions, illustrations and videos. I did my first AR-15 at home by myself with only the tools I purchased and the printouts from AR15.com and MidWayUSA.

I got my hammer spring installed incorrectly was the only mistake I made. It was easy to correct.

Here is the one I built (have added some things since):

The only dedicated tools you must have are:

- Armorers wrench
    - Action block set (this is necessary to properly secure your upper and lower in a vice so you dont bust your aluminum receivers)
    - Torque wrench (barrel nut has a specific torque range)
    - Access to a bench vise
    - Assorted sizes of screwdrivers
    - Some kind of pliers or vice grips
    - Small hammer or copper mallet

Recommended tools:

- Strap wrench (for tightening forearm free float tubes)
    - Pin punch set
    - Roll pin starter punch set
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Lead Moderator
    Assembling the lower is simple. Just follow the steps above provided from arfcom.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    With about $50 worth of tools, you could do it all yourself. I love tools!
    ...and assistance from this forum.

Stay armed...go for it...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post

The only dedicated tools you must have are:

- Armorers wrench
    - Action block set (this is necessary to properly secure your upper and lower in a vice so you dont bust your aluminum receivers)
    - Torque wrench (barrel nut has a specific torque range)
    - Access to a bench vise
    You only need these (above) items if you are assembling the upper. Buy a kit w/ the upper assembled and head spaced, it will save you headache and many safety concerns for a newbie.

BTW, if you are really worried about assembly, most gunnies will install the lower parts kit for a few bucks ($20-$40) or a case of beer.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I would suggest purchasing a set of feeler guages--I've found that it comes in very handy for holding down the pivot pin detent.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to try it myself, like someone said, its a good learning experience and gives you valuable knowledge about the gun. I am going to buy a complete upper, don't want to mess with the part that holds the explosion. I'll probably buy the complete rifle kit from RRA for $650 (when I scrape it together).
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    BTW, if you are really worried about assembly, most gunnies will install the lower parts kit for a few bucks ($20-$40) or a case of beer.
    Darn, I guess I didn't charge enough. I put my lower together---the first AR I have ever touched, much less assembled---then dragged my tools along to Thanksgiving dinner and built my brother's lower while we watched football after the meal.

I think the rollpin starter punches are very helpful...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

A hammer and a set of pin punches is about all you need now. The upper comes put together, so you build the lower. Which has NO adjustmens, or anything to set, just pins and spring to install. A Screwdriver for the pistol grip, and stock wrench if going with a carbine type stock and your done. About 2 hours time. I have built 6 over the years. This is my last kit I did.....

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I guess buying an upper already assembled is fine but it doesnt teach you what is necessary to change a barrel by yourself, if need be, or to install a free float tube later on.

I just thought that is what the OP was asking about.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Sponsored Links