Need opinion on modified Stag please

This is a discussion on Need opinion on modified Stag please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; what do you all think of this rifle? He didn't give me a price yet, my brother sent me the info and is thinking of ...

Thread: Need opinion on modified Stag please

what do you all think of this rifle? He didn't give me a price yet, my brother sent me the info and is thinking of buying it. I told him I would post here to see what you all thought. Here is the info:

16" STAG upper Chrome lined barrel, and double star Lower. Upper receiver has new Troy forearm, New Yankee Hills front flip sight, Arms 40L rear site. Scope is a Millet 30mm red dot. Rings are Arms 22H. Lower has a new trigger spring kit, and a Magpul trigger guard. Also an Ergo Grip, Gas Buster Charging handle, M-4 OD Green stock, and CAA Cheek rise. ADAMS ARMS gas piston conversion installed. Value is $499.00 on the conversion kit alone. I still have all of the parts after the gun was converted to a piston upper.
    Attached Images

Nice looking rig. Probably worth double the base price with all the extras.

I am not good at estimating but if I could get that unit for under $1400 I would probably be happy.

Lead Moderator
    Stag and double star are decent brands. I don't know about the piston conversions . I would guess , with the extras the gun may be worth around 1200-$1500 on today's market.
    Does it run well? Can you try it for a range trip first , before purchasing? Mixed brand franken guns seem to have more issues that off the shelf model ,IMO.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Nice. If the price is right grab it. Especially these recent days.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by FlKeysgirl View Post
    16" STAG upper Chrome lined barrel, and double star Lower. Upper receiver has new Troy forearm, New Yankee Hills front flip sight, Arms 40L rear site. Scope is a Millet 30mm red dot. Rings are Arms 22H. Lower has a new trigger spring kit, and a Magpul trigger guard. Also an Ergo Grip, Gas Buster Charging handle, M-4 OD Green stock, and CAA Cheek rise. ADAMS ARMS gas piston conversion installed. Value is $499.00 on the conversion kit alone. I still have all of the parts after the gun was converted to a piston upper.
    Stag 16" chrome-lined upper: $385
    Double Star lower: $250 built from stripped lowers and parts kits, $300 if pre-assembled Double Star lower half.
    Millet optic: $130
    Troy handguards: $230
    YHM folding front sight: $75
    ARMS 40L rear sight: $120
    ARMS mount: $120
    Magpul trigger guard: $20
    ERGO grip: $25
    PRI Gasbuster charging handle: $90
    M4 OD stock: $45 stock, $75 whole stock assembly
    CAA cheek rise: $20
    ADAMS ARMS piston conversion: $500

Your brother is looking at a $2000 rifle. Regardless of what all it's equipped with, it's still a dressed up frankengun by an unknown builder. Someone sunk a lot of money into a budget-gun, which makes me think this was a project gun that the seller is finally done with. This is my way of saying "buyer beware".

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I'm not as concerned about it being a franken gun, in my experience the franken guns that fail are the ones assembled by the end user - we're not talking about putting an upper on a lower, we're talking about the guys that buy a barrel, stripped upper, stripped lower, all the attendant parts and put it together themselves, often for the first time. Those are the guns with high failure rates in my personal experience.

I would have liked this gun more if the piston conversion hadn't been done. Up until that point it was a factory upper on a presumably factory lower.

I'm not a fan of that scope, I'd probably tell the seller to keep it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Links