My new Remington 870 is tough to eject a spent cartridge

This is a discussion on My new Remington 870 is tough to eject a spent cartridge within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought it used, but it is pretty much new. Not a mark on it and no wear anywhere on the gun. I took it ...

Thread: My new Remington 870 is tough to eject a spent cartridge

My new Remington 870 is tough to eject a spent cartridge

I bought it used, but it is pretty much new. Not a mark on it and no wear anywhere on the gun. I took it shooting today and it is pretty tough to eject a round. I had to pull and pull on the forearm and even jiggle it a little. It shot fine, but is this normal? Does it just need to be broken in?

Major
    Every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast!

RetiredMajor
    NRA Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Put a BRAND NEW bore brush on a length of cleaning rod.
    Chuck it into a hand drill.
    Wrap the bore brush with a few layers of finest steel wool and wet that with mineral spirits.
    Run that in and out of the barrel chamber.
    You may need to repeat it a few times with fresh steel wool.

That should REALLY help you with your problem.

Administrator
    The chamber is fouled, QK's post sounds good
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Maybe check this first. **CAUTION** (requires a live round)

SAFETY ON

Open the action of the gun. Point the muzzle at the floor. Try to "drop in" a shell directly into the chamber with the action open. Does it fall right in? Did the shell "seat" into the chamber completely without any force?

Now, point the muzzle directly up into the air with the action still open. Did the shell fall out easily?

If the shell falls in and out of the bore freely by tilting the muzzle up or down, the chamber is not fouled.

If you find that the shell slides in and out of the bore freely, you may have a problem with the forearm slide rails where they track in and out of the receiver.
    Last edited by Rcher; December 28th, 2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added "Safety On"
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post

Open the action of the gun. Point the muzzle at the floor. Try to "drop in" a shell directly into the chamber with the action open. Does it fall right in? Did the shell "seat" into the chamber completely without any force?

Now, point the muzzle directly up into the air with the action still open. Did the shell fall out easily?

If the shell falls in and out of the bore freely by tilting the muzzle up or down, the chamber is not fouled.

If you find that the shell slides in and out of the bore freely, you may have a problem with the forearm slide rails where they track in and out of the receiver.
    Dito! I've seen several of the 870's where the rail in the receiver is not pinned in properly, and they slip out of the grove where they are supposed to stay. My fix was to re-pin with a punch. You might want to have a gun smith look at it. If that is the problem, the cost to you would be very low for a repair.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

What size round is it chambered for? Make sure ammo is correct, some brands are a little longer after being fired, try a differen t brand ammo.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post

SAFETY ON

Good point, it may have not been reassembled correctly after the cleaning it surely got before it hit the "for sale" rack, but I would tend to think that that would have been noticed on the load side of the cycle... but who knows.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Also...if it turns out that there is no mechanical problem with the firearm and ejection is still difficult then try some High Brass shells as they usually always eject super easy.

Check the "brass" heads of your ammo with a magnet. I'll bet they are only brass washed STEEL. If so, that is your problem. The steel heads will not contract after firing and the case is sticking in your chamber. Switch to ammo with real brass case heads and the problem evaporates.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ... try some High Brass shells as they usually always eject super easy.
    How does one determine whether shotgun shells are made with brass, "high" brass, or not really brass? I have yet to see this printed anywhere on a box of shells, or advertised in common view. Or, does this need to be researched at the manufacturer?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    How does one determine whether shotgun shells are made with brass, "high" brass, or not really brass? I have yet to see this printed anywhere on a box of shells, or advertised in common view. Or, does this need to be researched at the manufacturer?
    High or low brass is a term used signifying the length of the brass portion of the casing. The brass is usually 3/4" long with high brass. Low brass is usually a target load and high brass is typically a field load with higher amounts of powder and shot. The longer brass section is needed for the heavier loads.

High Brass Shell:

Low Brass Shell:

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Check the "brass" heads of your ammo with a magnet. I'll bet they are only brass washed STEEL. If so, that is your problem. The steel heads will not contract after firing and the case is sticking in your chamber. Switch to ammo with real brass case heads and the problem evaporates.
    I had this problem as well and this was the reason. I can not shoot the cheap steel ammo through it as it would expand in the chamber and make it tough to eject. I just switched to the more expensive brass rounds and have not had a problem since.

My Mossberg 930 has ammo issues as well. It's eaten all the slugs and buckshot that I've put through it, but it has serious ejection issues with lighter shells. I purchased some high velocity high brass turkey loads to see if they'll work. I think I'm going to have to break down and try that steel wool / cleaning kit home remedy to open up the chamber a bit.

The first time I took it out, I had a shell stick in the chamber so bad i had to disassemble it and ram a curtain rod down the barrel to get it out.

I'm not convinced that that was an out of spec shell though, because my friend loaded the empty shell into his 870 and he had to slam the butt on the ground while holding the foregrip to dislodge it.

this sounds like a slide rail problem. break down the gun and clean it real good. check the barrel chamber with a shell when you got it broke down. the shell should slide in and out easy. check the side rails they must be in a small bind. or it could be real dirty in the receiver. when i buy a used gun i allways break it down clean and check it over good before i take it to the range.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links