Broken spring on 870

This is a discussion on Broken spring on 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; recently i picked up a Century Arms Ultra 87... an imitation of the Remington 870. Well i had stripped it just to get to know ...

Thread: Broken spring on 870

Broken spring on 870

recently i picked up a Century Arms Ultra 87... an imitation of the Remington 870. Well i had stripped it just to get to know the inner mechanisms. i followed the instructions, took off the ed of the mag. tube, off the barrel, then popped out the 2 pins that hold in the trigger mechanisms, and pulled the trigger out. when i was satisfied, i put the trigger back in, but accidentally pulled the trigger. i felt something pass over my hand, and saw a light curtain move a bit. so i pulled the trigger back out, looked it over, and saw nothing missing. confident that i hadn't over looked something, i put it back in the gun. thats when i noticed what was missing.

i don't know the proper name for the part, but its what the firing pin is in. i guess it would be called the bolt. but where that normally sits, on the back was a piece of metal that stuck out. similar to the piece that holds rounds in the mag tube.

i put everything back together and lightly went over functions (used snap caps). the bolt locks into the barrel just fine, and everything ejected as it normally did. i wanted to see what other people thought before i went shooting with it. from what it looks like to me, all that piece did was help eject cartridges.

and before you say it. i know it was stupid to have my hand near the trigger. i know never touch the trigger till your ready to fire, but something about having no barrel on it seemed to... i guess negate the feeling of the need for that rule. or something like that.

any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

2. Remove Ads

Uh-Oh! I figure your model shotgun is a bit different than the real 870? I really don't know enough yet about my own 870 Express as far as the innards. I would say test it at the range with proper PPE. I'm almost sure you've messed something up, just don't know how badly. Everyone makes mistakes. Live and learn.

Mike

This is a totally different design than the 870, it is also different than the mossberg, though has a tang safety. My best advise is to take your owners manual and go piece by piece and see what is missing.

Century Arms is not a very customer friendly place, but you could try and call them once you have found out the missing item or items.

Good luck & be safe
    First, With The Most, WINS!

Regards, Scattergun Bob

Administrator
    Yeah... you might want to change the title of the thread, this isnt an 870 at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links