Can a Woman handle a Remington 11-87 Police 12- Gauge? - Page 2

Can a Woman handle a Remington 11-87 Police 12- Gauge?

This is a discussion on Can a Woman handle a Remington 11-87 Police 12- Gauge? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dr_cmg Just in case anyone is wondering. That is our own Ass't Administrator Betty in the banner. Good point. It would be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a Woman handle a Remington 11-87 Police 12- Gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Just in case anyone is wondering. That is our own Ass't Administrator Betty in the banner.
    Good point. It would be interesting to hear her opinions on this.

Brian

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Hey Sixto you certainly sound like your not having a good day!
    You don't sound like the Sixto I knew a few months ago.
    Have the best day you can.
    I'm fine.

My point is anybody can use and shoot a 12ga, its more about technique rather than the users size or gender. I've had more big men complain about recoil than the women have, simply because a woman is more likely to listen when instruction is given.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm fine.

My point is anybody can use and shoot a 12ga, its more about technique rather than the users size or gender. I've had more big men complain about recoil than the women have, simply because a woman is more likely to listen when instruction is given.
    Actually, while I agree with your statement in part, as a small person, I have to disagree with the part about size not making a difference. Simply put, as a smaller human being, my arms are not as long as yours, therefor, I require a shorter stock.

Could I shoot the gun? Without doubt.

A better question might be "Could I shoot the gun accurately and repeatedly while maintaining accuracy and not short stroking the action?" Probably not. I can barely reach the action, and simply maintaining balance while holding the gun requires me to lean slightly backward.

A quick little experiment shows that my husband (who is 6'3") has arms that are roughly 6 inches longer than mine, with arms extended, shoulder to shoulder. His elbow is approximately 2" above my wrist. It's simple geometry. If you cannot reach the controls and run the gun, you might as well have a length of rebar and bludgeon someone with it. In order to fit the gun so that it can be used properly and accurately you have to take length out of the stock- no other option.

Fit is important with any weapon. I suspect that few here would suggest a large, full size frame pistol as a carry weapon for any person with small hands. Why, therefor, should we suggest that they use an improperly fitted long gun and just "suck it up and get used to it?" It's counter-intuitive and we all know it.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    Actually, while I agree with your statement in part, as a small person, I have to disagree with the part about size not making a difference. Simply put, as a smaller human being, my arms are not as long as yours, therefor, I require a shorter stock.

Could I shoot the gun? Without doubt.

A better question might be "Could I shoot the gun accurately and repeatedly while maintaining accuracy and not short stroking the action?" Probably not. I can barely reach the action, and simply maintaining balance while holding the gun requires me to lean slightly backward.

A quick little experiment shows that my husband (who is 6'3") has arms that are roughly 6 inches longer than mine, with arms extended, shoulder to shoulder. His elbow is approximately 2" above my wrist. It's simple geometry. If you cannot reach the controls and run the gun, you might as well have a length of rebar and bludgeon someone with it. In order to fit the gun so that it can be used properly and accurately you have to take length out of the stock- no other option.

Fit is important with any weapon. I suspect that few here would suggest a large, full size frame pistol as a carry weapon for any person with small hands. Why, therefor, should we suggest that they use an improperly fitted long gun and just "suck it up and get used to it?" It's counter-intuitive and we all know it.

Short stroking might be an issue if the 11-87 was a pump, but its an auto and a non issue for the subject at hand.
    Yes, fit is important... however, need to be fit to the person, and with proper technique, one can overcome poor fit. Its it the best scenario? No, but it can be done just fine when we are talking about defensive shotgun rather than a clays or hunting shotgun.

Lets go back to the original question asked by the OP... It was if his wife could be trained to handle the 11-87. My answer was yes, anybody could.
    Several other posters suggested to buy a youth stock etc., and that might be great advice. It might or might not work out. The one thing that I know will, and pertains to the question asked, is that anybody (within reason) can be handle a 11-87 regardless of physical size or gender.

Sometimes we tend to major in minors on here, a simple question was asked and complicated answers were given. Since we got complicated, if you really want to make the shotgun friendly for a smaller shooter, purchase your police model, and add a youth sportsman butt stock. That will reduce your pull significantly, I'm thinking right around 4" or so. Then add some weight in a hollow cavity of the butt stock, that will create a more rearward balance point. If she is still front end heavy, forget about the tube extension and put a standard cap on it. You can also get a sportsman's profile barrel, and that will shave off a pound or two as well.

Or you can just teach her a proper tucked mounting technique and be done with it, leaving the fighting shotgun as it was designed.

You can just buy a youth sportsman model, it comes with a 21" barrel and a youth stock already, but you'll be stuck with a 20ga. It also doesn't have the same gas system as the full size version, and that might limit versatility even more so than it being a 20 instead of the far more popular 12. It does weigh only 6.5#'s and is a sweet shooter. To me, that makes a good dove gun, but its to many compromises in a defensive shotgun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm fine.

Amen to women listening to instructions. My wife shoots 357 mag., 44 mag., almost all 45's (except the ultra carry 2-doesn't like the recoil) -I have seen some men at our range look like stooges.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Amen to women listening to instructions. My wife shoots 357 mag., 44 mag., almost all 45's (except the ultra carry 2-doesn't like the recoil) -I have seen some men at our range look like stooges.
    I love to hear "men" complain about recoil, then having a lady step up and shoot the gun the "men" were complaining about. I laugh everytime I see it.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Length of pull issues aside, a semiauto 12 gauge should have less perceived recoil than a pump shotty, as the action of the semi should be absorbing some of the energy of the shot.

Then again, if you ain't holdin' it right, it doesn't matter if you're a 5' 0" tall woman or a 6' 6" man-ape...yer gonna have issues.

-JT

Based on the information you provided:

For both of you and if only one shotgun:

Remington 11-87 or 1100 - "YOUTH" Model - 20 GAUGE

you will not be under-gunned, you will be able to handle the firearm easier and quicker. You will like the size (length) better, the weight better, etc

my wife has both, she likes both. I like both too. Even though I have Vang Comp 870, POLICE 11-87, POLICE 870, Wingmaster 870 (12 & 20), 1100 Hunting

Also, you BOTH need a handgun as BUG (Back Up Gun) - you pick revolver or semi-auto -

Suggestions:
    - Ruger GP100 - 357 MAG Stainless Steel with 4" barrel - load with 38 Special

- Springfield XD - 9mm (either plain XD or XD "M")

My little sister was 11 years old and probably 80 pounds when she was shooting trap with a single shot 12 gauge - I don't think your wife will have any trouble if she does it properly.

Austin

Try the reduced recoil 00-buckshot loads too.

Administrator
    You can also add a Mercury filled recoil reducer to it and they really do help to break up the recoil impulse. Every little bit helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links