Can a Woman handle a Remington 11-87 Police 12- Gauge?

This is a discussion on Can a Woman handle a Remington 11-87 Police 12- Gauge? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife & I are strongly considering buying a Remington 11-87 Police 12- gauge for protecting our home. My wife stands 5 feet tall and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a Woman handle a Remington 11-87 Police 12- Gauge?

My wife & I are strongly considering buying a Remington 11-87 Police 12- gauge for protecting our home. My wife stands 5 feet tall and I was concerned if women of her size can be trained to handle this shotgun?

I think so, particularly with 2-3/4" shells. I'm under 5'9", fairly weak due to a damaged hip/leg problem that's ruined my balance and ability to withstand (and remain accurate through) rough recoil, particularly extended sessions.

I've got a Remington 870 short-bbl (14") 12ga, running 2-3/4" #1 Buck loads. It's far, far easier to manage for me as compared to, say, 3" #00 Buck. And yet, it still sends a fairly heavy cloud of pellets to the target. You'll need to decide for yourselves whether a defensive shotgun should be loaded so lightly, but based on some reviews I have read and performance I've seen in certain materials, I don't doubt the capability of 2-3/4" #1 Buck. YMMV.

Link to range report of my Rem 870 SBS 12ga: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The difference between 2 3/4" #00 Buck and 3" is three pellets, 9 in the shorter rd., 12 in the longer rd. I am a fairly large guy, but I still use the 2 3/4" in my shorty. It's easier to handle, and is just as deadly.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My wife has her own 870 Wingmaster that she uses for upland bird, duck and deer hunting. My wife is 5'-6" tall and can handle the recoil of the 12 ga. without a problem. She shoots slugs deer hunting and it doesnt bother her a bit.

Here is the problem I see ... your arm length or "reach" is probably longer than hers. A standard length 870 is probably too long for her arms. I had to cut down the stock length for my wife about an inch so it fit her better. Your wife may have a problem reaching the forearm and also reaching the trigger with the gun pulled into her shoulder properly. If you fit the gun to her, you will have a hard time shooting it yourself.

It took me awhile to figure out that my wife's 870 was too long. She kept bruising her breast when she shot because she couldnt get the butt correctly placed in the shoulder slot. The stock was too long.

Maybe you'll have to buy 2 ...
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    My wife & I are strongly considering buying a Remington 11-87 Police 12- gauge for protecting our home. My wife stands 5 feet tall and I was concerned if women of her size can be trained to handle this shotgun?
    So far my wife does well 11-87, with 7 in the mag and one in the tube.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Actually, the perfect answer is to buy two.

At 5' tall, the length of pull on a standard shotgun is going to be too long for your wife. I am 5'2", and the length of pull on a standard shotgun is far to long for me. You want to look at a youth stock for your wife. It will be easier for you to become proficient with a gun that is "too small" for you than it will be for her to become proficient with one that is grossly too large. Again, the perfect answer is to buy one fitted to each of you. As far as recoil, that isn't nearly as large a consideration as a properly fitted stock. You may also want to consider an autoloader.

There is a great episode on the home defense shotgun on the ProArms Podcast (ProArms Home).
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    A standard length 870 is probably too long for her arms.
    You can pick up a "youth" sized stock (LOP 12", from Remington), an adjustable synth stock from Knoxx or ATI.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Howdy Wonder Dog! Here's my post from the other forum:
    Nothing wrong with a 20ga.....and there are plenty of low recoil loads for the 12ga as well. The autoloader shotgun will have a bit less recoil than a pump anyway, and barrels can also be ported. Then there are also recoil reducing stocks for many different models.

My wife stands a whole 4' 1" and shoots my Moss. 835 Ulti-Mag, she only complains that it's heavy.

she obviously cannot work the action though, so she uses my AR for her "house" gun.

the point is that anybody trained well can shoot practically anything.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Look at the banner on top of the page!

Could that be a woman with a Remington 11-87? Does that answer the question?

Length of pull is easily addressed by cutting the wood stock Or there are plenty of after market ones......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Yeah, anybody can use one. Can you?

11-87's are really easy to use. There shouldnt be any issue unless you or her make one out of nothing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I've seen men larger than your wife not able to handle a .12GA shotgun's recoil or shoot one very poorly.

I don't think size of the person has to do with the ability to handle a .12GA's recoil, but rather their training and/or willlingness and dedication to be trained to handle this (or any other) type of firearm.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, anybody can use one. Can you?

11-87's are really easy to use. There shouldnt be any issue unless you or her make one out of nothing.
    Hey Sixto you certainly sound like your not having a good day!
    You don't sound like the Sixto I knew a few months ago.
    Have the best day you can.

All of our female deputies had to qualify with 870's. Some didn't like it, but they did it. I was shooting a 12 gauge as a kid smaller than your wife. Fear of the gun makes it unpleasant for some folks to shoot.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Look at the banner on top of the page!

Could that be a woman with a Remington 11-87? Does that answer the question?

Length of pull is easily addressed by cutting the wood stock Or there are plenty of after market ones......
    Just in case anyone is wondering. That is our own Ass't Administrator Betty in the banner.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links