Mossberg Maverick

Mossberg Maverick

This is a discussion on Mossberg Maverick within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any good? Use to have an ol' Western Auto pump that was made by Mossberg but got talked into selling it. Was a good gun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Maverick

Mossberg Maverick

Any good? Use to have an ol' Western Auto pump that was made by Mossberg but got talked into selling it. Was a good gun.
    In the local gun shop the other week and he had a Maverick, new, for 229 I think. It had a plastic stock but a long magazine tube with what I believe was a 20" barrel. He had some 500's for 249 but they had the shorter magazine and were wood stocked.
    Was thinkin about another Mossberg pump and was curious about the Maverick.

I like mine, but wish I'd saved another $100 and gotten the Mossy 500. You can't change the foregrip without replacing the tube. Other than that you should be able to customize it easily. I also prefer the safety on the Moss rather than the Maverick.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    Its OK if thats the best you can afford or don't intend on shooting it much. The price seems a little high too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Maverick 88 is a good gun, I love mine. Mine seems to be one of the rarer types with the double arm forend meaning Mossberg 500 forends will fit. Dunno how that works out, but I'm not complaining.

Anyway, all other accessories besides the forearm will fit any Maverick if it fits the 500.

Also, just IMO, I prefer the safety of the Maverick to that of the 500. I'm sorta used to crossbolts.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I've had mine for a couple of years and no problems. Paid $190 but that was two years ago. It shoots and hits where I'm aiming - plenty good for home defense.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

+2 I got mine for HD. It will take care of what its intended use may be.

walmart here has the mossberg 500 for 209$
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Mavericks are good shotguns. I have 2 right now. Both are great and have literally 1000's of rounds through them.

I paid $150 for the one which has a 30" full choke barrel on it. The second one I paid $157 with a 28" barrel.

Ive not seen a 500 for $209, usually around $350 in my rea.

If a 500 is $209 Id buy it since the Mavs are $187 at WM right now.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Mo
    Can't say enough about my Maverick 88. Got it abut 13 years ago, it's done everything from kill turkeys to shoot sporting clays. Right now it's got a Hogue youth stock, sidesaddle, taclight and 18" cylinder bore barrel for home defense. Every spring I slap the 28" barrel back on and go chase turkeys. Great, great gun but $229 seems high. If you really want it at a bargain, go to the bank and take out two $100 bills. Lay them on the counter and ask him if he'll take it. I'll bet he will.

Thanks for the help!!

Primary House Defense gun is Maverick 88 with standard stock and w20" barrel stoked with #4 buckshot and laying in bed rack. Good knock about and bedside gun. Don't pimp it up, the gun is best just slick and clean. I also own 3 Mossy 500s and an 835, but they are for hunting.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

"Now I lay me down to sleep"

(kept in "cruiser" mode. (Empty chamber, firing pin at rest, safety off, and five #4 Buck in tube) Strictly rack and roll. Bedding hides it in daytime.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I owned a Mossberg Maverick 88 for a short while. I paid 125 used for it from a small gun shop that is now closed (kind of sucks, because the guy was really nice). It had a 26" bbl, and was threaded for chokes. I was going to use it for hunting, but it just did not feel as solid as the Remington 870. I am thinking about buying a Mossberg 500, but have not decided yet.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have Maverick 88 Security model with 18.5" barrel. Got it for $149 at Academy Sports about 2 years ago. This one and the current version have a double arm forend. Prefer the safety on the Maverick. Barrel and many accessories all interchangeable with the 500. When I bought it, I compared directly to Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 and it was clearly "best bang for the buck". Search around the internet and usually the only negative comments you hear are from people who don't own or have never even shot a Maverick. Maverick Arms is a Mossberg subsidiary located in the great state of Texas.

http://www.maverickarms.com/

I have one and so far has been a great shotgun. Does anyone out their know where you can get a sling mounting kit for a maverick? I have look all over and cannot seem to find one made specifically. I bought a kit that included the quick detachable swivels from Uncle Mikes that says fits "most pump" shotguns, but it does not. Anyone have any idea where you can get the parts?
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links