Double barrel for home defense?

This is a discussion on Double barrel for home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Mossberg model 500 8 shot persuader pump shotgun that I bought for defense (urban and woods) about 9 years ago. I put ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I have a Mossberg model 500 8 shot persuader pump shotgun that I bought for defense (urban and woods) about 9 years ago. I put a steel folding stock on it for ease of packing, but it adds a fair amount of weight. It is on the heavier side for my wife to enjoy...
    I have been thinking about getting an over/under double barrel to get into trap shooting but wanted some thoughts on this type of shotgun for defense. How many times do you need more than 2 12 guage shells in the home before grabbing for the pistol in the nightstand?
    (on a side note, has anybody shot a CZ over/under?)
    thanks for the input

Double barrels will work fine, but an over/under trap gun will have a longer than ideal barrel length. If you want a double barrel for home defense, I would go with a side-by-side coach gun. Here is a link to some Stoeger coach guns. I am looking at getting one myself.

Stoeger Coach Gun, 12-Gauge, 20-Gauge, .410, with 3 Chamberx
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Double barrels will work fine, but an over/under trap gun will have a longer than ideal barrel length. If you want a double barrel for home defense, I would go with a side-by-side coach gun. Here is a link to some Stoeger coach guns. I am looking at getting one myself.
    +1 but instead of the coach gun, 20" barrels no auto ejectors.. I'd suggest the Stoeger Bodyguard, 18" barrels w/auto ejectors.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1 View Post
    How many times do you need more than 2 12 guage shells in the home before grabbing for the pistol in the nightstand?
    How many times? The way I see it, the encounter we next have to deal with won't operate on a percentage basis. It'll be what it is. You'll either have enough rounds to get the job done ... or you won't. Me, I'd prefer more rounds than two. So, my choice is a Remington 870P pump, 5+1, 14" bbl.

Keep in mind, as well, that the use of the shotgun isn't limited to expending the loads then going to the pistol. Traditional wisdom suggests the pistol is what helps you work your way back to your long gun, as it can be the more powerful option in a firefight.

The shotgun is particularly devastating, up close. Keeping it humming along during an encounter can quite literally be the difference between terminating an attack and losing. I, myself, have not experienced a home invasion where I have defended via firearm. I hope I never do. But, I can't imagine a stronger defense than a well-stocked 12ga shotgun in such a situation, with a pistol to back it up.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 30th, 2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a Stoeger coach gun that has done HD duty, the capacity is offset by the fact that it is a lot shorter than either my 500 or 870, and those have 20" and 18.5" barrels respectively. Really easy to handle indoors. I'm pretty sure stoeger also came out with a O/U with 20" a year or two ago, maybe called the outback or something.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I would chose my 870( or m1) before my pistol in a fight 20" barrel, 7 rounds,surefire 6p I can move around my house fine with it ready stop whatever fight we come across...JMO
    That double barrel would be fine unless you need 3 shots..Whats the odds right, but as a group we all carry, praying we never need to use the tools we have chosen.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    If I were to choose a dbl barrel for home defense, it would be a side-by-side coach gun. The shorter barrel(s) give you better freedom of movement in the tight quarters of your home. Personally, I use a Rem 1100 or an 870 with a slug barrel. I like having more than 2 shots in case more than 2 invade my home.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I use a Rem 1100 or an 870 with a slug barrel.
    You planning on shooting slugs at invaders? I hope you dont have neighbors. Holy over penetration batman. I would not use the rifled barrel as it opens up the shot pattern too quickly.

As far as the OP goes, I would love a SxS for HD. Unleashing 2 3" 12ga shells at once towards a BG would be great. But only if I could follow it up with my 1300 pump and my .357.

You've already got a pump, realistically, I'd make it work for you instead of getting another gun. Have you thought about a top folder or maybe an AR- style 6 position?

Administrator
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find a shotgun that can pull trap and HD duty well.
    The Stoegers mentioned are not very expensive, or make what you already have work for you. Worry about a seperate trap gun, I really dont think you'll find one that can do both well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    +1 but instead of the coach gun, 20" barrels no auto ejectors.. I'd suggest the Stoeger Bodyguard, 18" barrels w/auto ejectors.
    Could you possibly post a link to this shotgun? I've looked all over Stoeger's web site and can't find this model listed anywhere. I'd be interested in looking at it.

A O/U is a poor choice for use in any area with obstacles if you should need a reload. I learned this the hard way after buying one years ago to use duck hunting. I traded it off after the first outing trying to reload inside a duck blind. The area necessary for the break open, ejection of shells is extreme compared to a SXS and any obstacles in front of you (couch, chair, bed, etc.) will necessitate an awkward movement of the receiver upwards to clear the barrels for reloading.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

A friend of mine heard noises downstairs late at night. Sure enough - a BG had actually broken into his house. He was amazed, but pulled out his pump-action 12GA. He stood at the top of the stairs, with his position concealed. He cycled the action loudly, so that the BG would hear it. That was all it took, and the BG beat feet outta there.

Let's face it - there's one distinct sound that every single BG on the planet knows - the cycling of a pump-action shotgun. As my friend clearly demonstrated, sometimes that's all it takes to resolve the situation. That sound commands instant respect.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

While the racking of a pump is a great deterrent for someone that doesn't want a confrontation (and is surely better and more menacing than yelling, "I have auto-ejectors") You had better be prepared to use it at that point, and immediately, especially against someone that may be looking for and / or prepared for a fight. Don't forget, it gives away your position too.

While potentially effective, not always the best idea. Sometimes I think I'd maybe rather have one chambered already.

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    While the racking of a pump is a great deterrent for someone that doesn't want a confrontation (and is surely better and more menacing than yelling, "I have auto-ejectors") You had better be prepared to use it at that point, and immediately, especially against someone that may be looking for and / or prepared for a fight. Don't forget, it gives away your position too.

While potentially effective, not always the best idea. Sometimes I think I'd maybe rather have one chambered already.

That's why I used the word "sometimes"......................

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    A short barreled pump shotgun (12 gauge) is a good self defense gun.The shorter the barrel (18.5) gives you better retention for the bad guys or who
    ever trying to come into your space.This is why I prefer a pistol to a shotgun
    for self defense firearm easier to maintain control of.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    What do you plan on loading your shotguns with? Bird shot ? Buckshot ? Combination of both? Slugs? Worried about overpenatration ? Just curious
    as I have half dozen shotguns and I don't bother to keep the one I view as
    a self defense shot gun loaded as I prefer pistols for this tasks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links