Defensive opinions

This is a discussion on Defensive opinions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need your help and advice if you don't mind. My work shop is 200 yards from my home. [Good for the legs] and I ...

Thread: Defensive opinions

Defensive opinions

I need your help and advice if you don't mind.
    My work shop is 200 yards from my home. [Good for the legs] and I am try8ing to develope the best way to protect it.
    I plan to install a magnetic vehicle detector with a light and alarm in the next few weeks.
    My problem is deciding on what type of weapon to use in case of an alarm and the theives overcome the alarm and light at the bldg.
    Ther is one ditch approx 5' deep that parallels one side about 60 yards away, and one that paralles the front and drive that is about 85 yards out. My plan of action is to use the ditches for cover adn take out the vehicle with a rifle or shotgun. I would like to take out the radiator and front two tires from the 85 yard ditch.
    The two ditches connect so I can move under cover to the closer one to cover the house if need be.
    I'm beginning to think that a AR in 223 cal. might be a good choice in this case as I could load a clip with military ammo for the radiator and tires, then switch to clips with soft point varmit ronds for self defense.
    I wonder if you would share yhou opinions as to whether this is good thinking and what type of sighting system I wold need on the rifle as I will be using it in the dark, to more or less, sirgically place rounds in the tires and radiator and perhaps may have to stop multiple thughs with weapons.
    I will also be carrying a 1911 with night sights and laser as well as a powerfull flashlight in a shoulder case.
    Thanks very much for your help and input.
    The very best to all for 2009.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Unless it was a TEOTWAWKI situation I would not protect my shop. I would just call 911 and be prepared to defend my home
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Sounds like Red Dawn...I wonder what the DA would say about shooting up a car. Why not get the discription and phone it in. In addition...how about a wireless speaker system and video and play with their minds while the cops are on the way.

Rick

Administrator
    OH BOY.....

This thread kinda reminds of when Ralphie goes out in the yard to try out his Red Ryder, and day dreams about shooting bad guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEFTlNYnVw
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yea, does not sound like the best action plan, I'd keep insurance on the shop and protect the home. OMO

IMO shooting up the auto is the lesser of two evils and is a good way to shut down a robbery. d
    Obviously this would be after a 911 call and if I thought they were about to get away with the goods.
    Police response here can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours With the emphasis on the hours.
    I have always believed it is a good idea for one to have one or more plans of action when confronted and adjust from the plan, rather than not having a clue as to what should be done.
    If you don't mind, please stick with the quiestion though as that is the help I am looking for.
    Last edited by golfer; December 30th, 2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Add information

Administrator
    Well then, pack yourself a toothbrush too, because you'll be taking a trip to the grey bar bed and breakfast.

Using deadly force to stop a robbery one thing, but to stop a breaking and entering? Pease don't make gun owners look that bad on the nightly news, we have had enough of that already.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Unless Kansas has a texas type castle Doctorine and allows for the use of Deadly force to protect property you are going to be in much more legal trouble than the people who were breaking into your shop
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OH BOY.....

This thread kinda reminds of when Ralphie goes out in the yard to try out his Red Ryder, and day dreams about shooting bad guys.

YouTube - A Christmas Story- Gangsta Remix
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Honestly your home is the one you need to defend ....
    The shop maby with a 12ga to scare them but dont go rambo on them it will not look good in court
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

In Kansas, shooting out the radiator and tires will probably get you a minimum of 1 yr. in prison. That happened several years ago, in the El Dorado area if I recall correctly. Someone was stealing the guys battery or gas, and he shot out their tires as they were trying to leave. They charged the property owner, and he went to prison due to a mandatory sentence for a firearm crime conviction. Shoot to protect your life or that of loved ones. Otherwise, be a good witness. Shoot their pictures with a camera. The money you spend defending yourself in court would be better spent on good surveillance and recording equipment.

So, to answer your question about your idea being a good plan or not, IMHO, NO!

Senior Moderator
    Statutes

21-3212. Use of force in defense of dwelling; no duty to retreat. (a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that it appears to such person and such person reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon such person's dwelling or occupied vehicle.

(b) A person is justified in the use of deadly force to prevent or terminate unlawful entry into or attack upon any dwelling or occupied vehicle if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or another.

(c) Nothing in this section shall require a person to retreat if such person is using force to protect such person's dwelling or occupied vehicle.

History: L. 1969, ch. 180, § 21-3212; L. 2006, ch. 194, § 4; May 25.
    Using deadly force to defend your shop appears to be illegal in Kansas since it is not a dwelling.

This thread is closed due to discussion of illegal activites

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links