Best defensive caliber for an AR15?

This is a discussion on Best defensive caliber for an AR15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; my choice based upon cost, national availability, and knock'em dead power goes to the .308...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best defensive caliber for an AR15?

my choice based upon cost, national availability, and knock'em dead power goes to the .308

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have seen .223 used for deer, but I prefer something bigger. Like 30-06. The .223 doesn't seem to have the penetration with HP/Sp's than a more potent round. It will kill a deer dead fairly effectively though.

Wink Ditto QKShooter dittoing Euclidean

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Everything Euc Said.
    I agree with this and would add: The 5.56mm is what the AR platform was designed to use. Go with the original design intent or get another platform. I have a Ruger Mini-14 with factory folding stock that I would feel well armed with in an emergency situation. I stand to inherit a CAR15 (old model way pre-ban but not select fire) and I like that it's 5.56mm.

I have an M1A in 7.62x51mm (.308). That gun is set up to reach out and touch 'em at long range. For CQB I might get either a DSA FAL carbine or one of the fairly new M1A SOCOM carbines in 7.62x51mm.

Take 5.56mm for high volume cheap firepower and the 7.62x51mm for longer range and greater killing power. IOW fewer shots to put the guy down with the 7.62x51mm but easier shooting higher volumes of rounds with the 5.56mm. 5.56 is cheaper too. But both are available worldwide. That's another recommendation of the 5.56mm over anything else. It's always available and is used by both our military and most LEOs too.

BTW, has anybody heard any info to suggest that the new 6.8mm is falling out of favor as a new standard military round?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    BTW, has anybody heard any info to suggest that the new 6.8mm is falling out of favor as a new standard military round?
    Was the 6.8 SPC ever actually issued? I know there was speculation that it would be a special forces arm, but the last I heard the rumor was the military abandoned it because of lack of available ammunition.

It probably actually is a better round, but it's like the .357 SIG of military rifle calibers. Sure it's interesting ballistically and probably better, but it's doomed to obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Was the 6.8 SPC ever actually issued? I know there was speculation that it would be a special forces arm, but the last I heard the rumor was the military abandoned it because of lack of available ammunition.

It probably actually is a better round, but it's like the .357 SIG of military rifle calibers. Sure it's interesting ballistically and probably better, but it's doomed to obscurity.
    Lack of ammoon the civi market probably started that rumor....the military is getting first dibbs on any ammo off the line.
    From what I heard of it'd development the Special Forces wanted this round and had input on it's R&D.
    They are also the only ones using it now on a limited basis; the last I heard anything half-way reliable in that regard.
    Now whether or not a budget will be allocated for further fielding of it after actual use/testing in combat is another issue.

That sounds about right. It's the same story as the 6.5 Grendel... many rumors and almost no facts.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. The nice thing about the ARs is the abundance of parts. I guess I could buy a 5.56 setup and always get different uppers later like a 7.62 or the .50. That .50 does sound impressive, as did their 6.5 Grendel (out performing the 7.62 at 1200 yds). I can do that right? Just swap different caliber uppers/barrels?

I will probably just start with a 5.56 setup for practice and training and either add different uppers or complete different guns for other calibers (and purposes) later.

I think that sounds like the smartest plan. I think the 5.56 will serve the purpose for defense/training just fine until I add other options later.

My son and I shot several hundred rounds through a friends bushy this weekend, had a lotta fun. Shot another friends mini-14 in .223. We also shot a couple hundred through the 1911 and popped the cherry on the Charles Daly 12g semi-auto. I'm going to make a separate post about the shotgun experience.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_Sniper
    Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. The nice thing about the ARs is the abundance of parts. I guess I could buy a 5.56 setup and always get different uppers later like a 7.62 or the .50.

The 5.56 lower will not accept the 7.62 upper. The cartridge length is too long. Personally ,I would stay away from too exotic of caliber, who knows how long some may be around?

OD*
    They won't take a 7.62X51, they will take a 7.62X39.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Shouldn't the AR 15 be able to technically accept any catridge that is short enough to fit through the magazine well? Granted you might have to have one funky upper with some sort of weird bolt and an adapter for magazines for some calibers, not to mention someone would have to make the upper for the caliber you wanted...

OD*
    Euc,

They tried the AR system with 7.62X51, by the time they engineered it not to detonate itself (AR10), it weighed as much as the M-14, which we already had.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Shouldn't the AR 15 be able to technically accept any catridge that is short enough to fit through the magazine well? Granted you might have to have one funky upper with some sort of weird bolt and an adapter for magazines for some calibers, not to mention someone would have to make the upper for the caliber you wanted...
    Yep, and it does. Forgot all about 7.62 X 39. But lots of pistol caliber AR's and some diffrent rifle cartridges fit the lower mag well. Usually the pistol calibers use a mag block and sub gun mags.
    Lots of options out there, just no telling what will be around in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Lots of options out there, just no telling what will be around in a few years.
    True, I don't want some oddball that I can't get parts for a few years down the road. As for the rounds, I'll reload whatever I get anyway, but I don't want to have to have parts 'made' if I need something.

I would rather stick to the caliber its designed for, at least for my first/primary weapon, then I can always get something more 'specialized' (but still not a total oddball) later. Who knows, I may have several at some point in the future, I really do enjoy shooting them. I'm sure I'll have a couple of others later also, I kind of like that CX4 Storm and the Socom.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links