AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations

This is a discussion on AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Trade_Sniper What about close range, say 20-100yds? Hold dead on and shoot. Set scope for it's baseline. As a matter of fact, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Trade_Sniper
    What about close range, say 20-100yds?
    Hold dead on and shoot. Set scope for it's baseline. As a matter of fact, it seems to work best at those ranges. Remember, it's a fixed 4x.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up Acog

Have you tried an AimPoint or ACOG? Just for comparison? Someone else here said they preferred the AimPoint simplicity over the EOTech. I've never looked through either, so I have no idea which I'd like better.

I need to get over to AR15.com to see if I can find some pics looking through the scopes. I can't seem to find the 'search' button on the forums over there, so I just have to comb through all of the posts for now. Maybe that is limited to registered members only?
    ACOG is the Rolls Royce of scopes. It's has a tritium reticle and therefore doesn't require batteries as the others do. As we all know by our personal relationships to MR MURPHY, those batteries will fail at the worst possible moment.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

1952 - 2006
    As I said before I like the EO Tech I have on the RRA.

I also have a first generation AimPoint MKIII on my Colt AR-15 SP1. I bought them together back in 1984 for $600 new. $400 for the Colt and $200 for the AimPoint and mount.

The AimPoint is a marvelous little sight. My only complaint about it is that the aperture on both ends is rather small, and that it uses an obscure pair of batteries.
    Attached Images
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=18

this should be right where you want to read for optic recommendations.

I can't seem to find the 'search' button on the forums over there, so I just have to comb through all of the posts for now. Maybe that is limited to registered members only?
    You have to be a member to get the search function.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Couple thoughts, or three: If this will be a "defensive" arm, and you don't have $2-3K to do optics, I'd suggest one of the illuminated reticle scopes from Burris or Leupold, or IOR, in a 1.5-4X range.

When you talk about "night" use, for real NV capability you would co-witness an NV short scope with your compatible dot optic. Easily $2K, and that would be for (pretty crappy) bargain basement. Would it work? Yes. Would the illuminator, telling everyone in the area exactly where you are be worth that money? No. Passive NV costs real money.

Low-light is a bit different. You'll probably appreciate a decent light-gathering optic, with variable brightness options on the reticle/dot more. Dots will (generally) improve your accuracy with speed. Magnification (2X and over) increases your accuracy over distance.

I have a .308 bolt, with a Burris 1.5-6x26 electro dot as a go-to gun. At 1.5X, I can decide how much space I want to leave between the sides of my Match King, and the sides of a BG's nostril, at the end of the hall, or across the room. With the dot on(and low mag), I can use it basically the same as an ACOG. 4X will give me the same choice out to about 250 yards, and hits "in the zone" at 400+.

I've played with both magnification, and dots (primarily Aimpoint), and like the illuminated reticles on mid-range mag scopes best. Fast and accurate. Look it over carefully, before you buy- it's really easy to dump a ton of cash into the AR platform!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links