AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations

AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations

This is a discussion on AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm researching for the purchase of my first AR. There are SO MANY scopes/optics available for this gun. This is for defensive purposes, to accompany ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations

Question AR15 Scope/Optic Recommendations

I'm researching for the purchase of my first AR. There are SO MANY scopes/optics available for this gun. This is for defensive purposes, to accompany my .45 and 12g. I may also use it to compete in 3-gun matches (optics probably aren't allowed, I have no idea yet). I plan to get some type of A4 flattop, probably a POF/DSA or RRA.

1.) I want something with night time capabilities as well as day.
    2.) I plan to have fold-down BUIS.
    3.) I've never used any type of scope or optics before.

Which scopes/optics/mounting options allow you to zero the BUIS and the scope/optic together? Is this a real benefit or should I get a setup that keeps the two separate, and if so, what is the preferred mounting solution (underneath, offset to side, etc.)?

What are the pros/cons of optics vs scopes?

Sorry I'm such a newb, but I gotta learn somehow. I can't post at ar15.com (I have a yahoo email addy), so I'm asking here (my favorite site). I don't want to buy something only to find out that its totally wrong for my needs.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

If you are going to co-witness then there are sight considerations to take in. I don't care about co-witness myself as it defeats the speed of a dot if you are always using it IMO. I want my backup sight to be just that. One that I can flip up or use through a dead scope immediately.

I'm dead set on an Aimpoint dot, but the Eotech is nice if you don't mind the busy view. I thought I wanted an Eotech until I used one against a single dot. KISS is the Aimpoint for me.

There are tons of info at AR15 on co-witness with lots of images looking through setups.

If they allow gmail accounts I can give you an invite for one if you want it.

Lead Moderator
    EOtech,ACOG, and Aim points are all good(but expensive ) choices. What do you mean night use? I have tried a ATN NV scope , worked well, but range was limited to the illuminator.

Assistant Administrator
    I would go with the Eotech type - maybe the Bushnell Holosight to save some money.

Mind you - I fitted a Leupold to my FAL and that works great but on balance for rapid target aquisition I do think a good dot sight has it nailed.

One other thing tho - always a good idea to consider the situation if a special sight fails - can you then still use the irons!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yes, I'm not set on co-witnessing, I have just seen it mentioned and thought it was a neat idea. I would probably leave the BUIS folded down unless the optic failed for some reason.

Honestly I don't care if they are co-witnessed, or where my optics are mounted, as long as they are fast and accurate. Thats why I'm looking for recommendations.

I want something easily and quickly adjusted for distance.

I'd like to have something that could be used at night. What are my options here? I know a laser would work for close range, but what about medium range? Night vision would be very expensive and I'm guessing kind of bulky. I would prefer to have something that I can keep on the weapon all the times, you never know when it might be needed, may not have time to be attaching accessories, so the night vision is probably out, until at some point I have a dedicated 'night time' weapon maybe?

Another option is a tactical light to go with the optic, but again, at medium distance it may be worthless. Then again, medium distance may be something I shouldn't worry about? I just figure that the weapon is a short-medium range weapon, so the optics should match right?

So Aimpoint, ACOG or EOTech are getting the votes right now. I just need some type of setup that will be effective after dark. What are your thoughts on this?

Anybody have a favorite place to buy optics with good prices?

LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Lead Moderator
    ACOG would be the best for diffrent distance shooting. They have a built in drop compensator in the reticle. I believe this would be the fastest for target aquisition and BDC. No batteries needed.

Any 'after dark' suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Indoors at night, may I suggest the lightswitch? Outdoors at night, you'll probably need one of those fancy "tactical" flashlights attached to your rifle.

Red dots work day or night, you just have to use different brightness settings. Don't get too excited by the military grade red dot sights, they aren't that much better than commercial products, unless you intend to drop your rifle on the optics from your roof or take them scuba diving.

Lead Moderator
    The ACOG has tritium chevron or ring. ,a light might be the way to go for indoor outdoor short range night use. I run a G2 surefire under my HG. seems to handle the recoil without the special shock bezel lamp head.
    The NV scope by ATN in my avatar was nice, but sure is bulky and heavy. Besides the girlfriend wanted it back.

I saw some surefire laser setup on an AR in an ad in one of the gun mags. It was a big laser compared to pistol versions. I wonder what the range is on those? I suppose they are super expensive also.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    Indoors at night, may I suggest the lightswitch?
    Awwwww, there's no fun in that!

1952 - 2006
    I have really fallen in love with the EO Tech on my Rock River DEA model.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Unless you need the illuminated reticle, why not go with the scope designed for the M16 by Colt? I had one. It's a fixed 4x short (about 4" in length) and has a Bullet Drop Compensator pre-set for the standard military weight cartridge. All that is required is to set the little ring guage for the proper range and aim dead on. Ranges vary from 100 to 400 meters. I like it because the field of view at any range allows you to see your bullet strikes and adjust while still holding the sight picture. It has a duplex reticle. Very Nice.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I have really fallen in love with the EO Tech on my Rock River DEA model.
    Have you tried an AimPoint or ACOG? Just for comparison? Someone else here said they preferred the AimPoint simplicity over the EOTech. I've never looked through either, so I have no idea which I'd like better.

I need to get over to AR15.com to see if I can find some pics looking through the scopes. I can't seem to find the 'search' button on the forums over there, so I just have to comb through all of the posts for now. Maybe that is limited to registered members only?

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Unless you need the illuminated reticle, why not go with the scope designed for the M16 by Colt? I had one. It's a fixed 4x short (about 4" in length) and has a Bullet Drop Compensator pre-set for the standard military weight cartridge. All that is required is to set the little ring guage for the proper range and aim dead on. Ranges vary from 100 to 400 meters. I like it because the field of view at any range allows you to see your bullet strikes and adjust while still holding the sight picture. It has a duplex reticle. Very Nice.
    What about close range, say 20-100yds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links