My first defensive rifle.

This is a discussion on My first defensive rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking of getting a defensive rifle for some time and finally have decided on an ak47. The sks has a loose mag ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first defensive rifle.

My first defensive rifle.

I have been thinking of getting a defensive rifle for some time and finally have decided on an ak47. The sks has a loose mag seating(friend told me of this). The AR15 and SOCOM II are way too expensive (for me). It turns out that the Ak now has almost as many accessories as the AR15. I was introduced to someone in town that imports and makes legal semi-auto AK's. He says that the Ak is better in many ways then an AR15 (like the gas piston for one). Now I have to decide weather to get a milled receiver or stamped. I want to go with milled if I can afford one. I have looked up all the accessories I want for bolth the milled and stamped receivers. If there any reasons the Ar is better then an Ak Id like to hear them before i finally commit. Things like ballistics, reliability, availability of ammo, Etc. I have all the addons covered so to me its about the same as the AR. Trying to keep the total package under $1000 (with accessories). A dealer has a stamped Ak for $485 in town if the milled is too much.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

2. Remove Ads

My defensive rifle is a SKS M59/66 that I picked about for about 90 bucks. I have added a lifted scope so I have the ability to use my sights or to "reach out and touch someone" with the mil dot scope. This weapon uses the same ammo as a AK47, just with a longer barrel. 10 shot internal magazine. These are also widely available as of right now.
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

If you want a good AK type weapon get one of the ARSENAL bulgy builds. Top notch barrel and accuracy IMHO and experience. I can kick myself in the arse sometimes for parting with my SLR-95

Lead Moderator
    Nothing wrong with an AR or an AK platform weapon. Just a trade off comparing weight, ammo cost, parts and accuracy.

Assistant Administrator
    I have ''just'' a Romanian SAR1 - was not too pricey and tho I have yet to cure trigger slap (this the piece of red silicone tubing on trigger!!) it performs very well and has been trouble free all along.

I added a red dot but otherwsie it is very std - and I'd run to that as quick as any for defensive useage - but the FAL would not be far behind!

If I was starting over with AK I certainly would like to do a build, using milled receiver - but hey - this thing works!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I have ''just'' a Romanian SAR1 - was not too pricey and tho I have yet to cure trigger slap (this the piece of red silicone tubing on trigger!!) it performs very well and has been trouble free all along.

I added a red dot but otherwsie it is very std - and I'd run to that as quick as any for defensive useage - but the FAL would not be far behind!

If I was starting over with AK I certainly would like to do a build, using milled receiver - but hey - this thing works!
    Nice looking one Chris I also had the SAR 1. Good guns
    for the money. Not sure why but my SAR-1 shot better after using it as a abused bullet hose for rapid fire practice.
    Before that on intial sight in it was picky about what it liked like some 22lr firearms can be. After a 1000 rds or so it "settled in" at roughly 3-4MOA depending on ammo.

I'd like to get another AK asap.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a WSAR1 Rommy. It does pretty good. I'd really like to get one of the Veprs.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    Mine was a bit like yours Ed - several 1,000's of rounds downrange and it is pretty good tho never over picky.

It started off on Barnaul but these days seem to find cased Wolf ammo more easily - that runs jusy dandy.

3-4 MOA is about right, and I can live with that. Just runs and runs.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

One thing that I miss AFA ammo is the S&B 7.62x39. Anyone know what exactly was up with them dropping the importation of that?

I know it ran more $$$ than the other brands but it shot very good in my SLR-95.

Hmm the milled receiver is going to be pricey. so I'm thinking of getting The rifle in a few stages (budget $1000). First invest in the milled receiver, barrel, flash suppressor, etc. Then getting the stock and accessories. then maybe going for an Eotec reflex sight $300(reviews say its better then the aimpoint at about the same cost). So I'm planning on about $400 on the receiver group barrel and parkerization only. Is this a realistic figure? Also I'm going to use a SOCOM telescoping stock combined with the receiver should be almost unbreakable. But with the stamped receiver i saw for sale and the accessories the total would be about $975. Maybe I'm low-balling the milled option. Anyone know of a good flash supressor?
    Last edited by Bryan; January 21st, 2006 at 10:47 PM.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Just another example to throw out a few months back I saw an Arsenal USA AK variant with OD Green furniture and parked finish for around $575, with milled reciever IIRC.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Wouldn't an Eotech or Aimpoint would be a bit of overkill for an AK? I also seem to remember a Russian made red dot called a Kobra that was made for the AK and as durable.

I assume the comment about the SKS in the first post was referring to the models adapted to accept AK magazines instead of the internal mags?

If you're going for $1000 round trip, I'd get into a VEPR or SAIGA or an Arsenal. I like my Romanian parts job just fine but I wouldn't want to sink $1000 into it. I also wouldn't want to have to rely on it (although it would work).

Good serious AK optic options are the Kobra red dot site and the PSOP scopes. I might get a PSOP for my Romak one day if I felt crazy enough.

Yea a big part of the $1000 was the $300 sights so I'll look into the Kobra. Its the (milled receivers only) that threw me they are $500+ on some sites.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    myself for well under your $1000 figure I have both a FAL and a paratrooper sks , they between them fill most niches for any " social " rifle situation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links