Shotgun for Home Defense - Page 2

Shotgun for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Shotgun for Home Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two shotguns I use for home defense and night shift police patrol. One is minimalist, indeed, an 870P, with the only substantial changes ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have two shotguns I use for home defense and night shift police patrol. One is minimalist, indeed, an 870P, with the only substantial changes being a Vang safety, and a Speedfeed "LE" forend, which is nice and slim; my fingers are not long. It usually wears a Vang-Comped barrel, for tight patterns, but that is for streetfighting, when I want tight patterns. Home defense does not require tight patterns. The sight is a simple bead, which is fast, and works well for sighting from either shoulder.

My other shotgun is quite a custom weapon, an 870 that was given a package treatment by Scattergun Technologies, including a ghost-ring rear sight and tritium front sight. This sight set-up is not as fast, for me, as a simple bead, and works well only from my left shoulder, as I am left-eye dominant. I bought this mostly as a slug gun, for longer-range use. It is not my favored in-home weapon, though it would be quite fine for sitting and waiting for a bad guy, when I will not be switching shoulders, as I do while hunting a bad guy indoors.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Uhh, yeah... its easy to do and very common as well. Go for it. Just dont get to caught up in the "sound will scare them away" folklore, and dont ruin a good old Wingmaster in the process. If you think you might want to ninja it up, buy a newer one to ruin; those old wingmasters are great.
    Bolded for emphasis. Find yourself a pawn-shop special 870 express if you think you're going to go all out but are on a budget. Keep the Wingmaster for furry or feathery critters.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

OD*
    Excellent post(s), Rexster.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

get a second barrel for the gun and she will make a great home gun. no need to do any thing else. just a box of 00 buck.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I found a sale on the short 18.5 barrel for my Mossy 500. Takes about 3 minutes to change from it to the long barrel. I've put lots of rounds thru this gun as a hunter and a shorty. The only thing I don't like about this set-up is the short magazine. I recently saw one for sale similar to mine for $240 with the short barrel, I'd go this route and leave your gun original.

Lots of nice info here guys....Thanks
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Great choice for defending a safe room. Poor choice for navigating the house. If you do navigate the house and you have to remove the gun from firing position at the shoulder remember to use the low ready position with the barrel pointed to the floor. That way if someone attempts to disarm you by grabbing the barrel you might get a shot at their feet and legs allowing you to maintain control of the weapon. If it's pointed up a shot at the ceiling won't do much.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.-H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Wuchak View Post
    Great choice for defending a safe room. Poor choice for navigating the house. If you do navigate the house and you have to remove the gun from firing position at the shoulder remember to use the low ready position with the barrel pointed to the floor. That way if someone attempts to disarm you by grabbing the barrel you might get a shot at their feet and legs allowing you to maintain control of the weapon. If it's pointed up a shot at the ceiling won't do much.
    Have you posted in this thread? http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ghlight=slings
    Just interested to know your thoughts about slings on a HD shotgun since you mentioned shotgun retention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links