Shotgun for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Shotgun for Home Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an old Remington 870 Wingmaster pump shotgun that I bought 30 years ago when I was just a kid. It has been hanging ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun for Home Defense

Shotgun for Home Defense

I have an old Remington 870 Wingmaster pump shotgun that I bought 30 years ago when I was just a kid. It has been hanging in a closet the past 20 years since I dont hunt. I blew a rabid coon out of a tree last summer to save my dogs and that got me thinking.

I should buy an 18 inch barrell for it and hang it above the bed for self defense. What better deterrant for a burgler than to hear the sound of a pump shotgun loading a shell.

Anybody else put an 18 inch barrell on a shotgun? My local sporting store has a whole rack full of them
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Uhh, yeah... its easy to do and very common as well. Go for it. Just dont get to caught up in the "sound will scare them away" folklore, and dont ruin a good old Wingmaster in the process. If you think you might want to ninja it up, buy a newer one to ruin; those old wingmasters are great.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Why would you rack the slide? My shotgun is loaded to the gills, and racking the slide would only throw out a perfectly good load of #00 Buck! And I agree with SIXTO, put an 18" barrel on that old WingMaster if you want, but don't bugger up that gun.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    I'll throw in with the rest.

Buy a 18-20" barrel and leave the rest of that shotgun alone.

P.S. I've never known anyone to loose control of their bowels by hearing the sound of a pump action being racked
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Very Loud

I have a Remington Sportsman of same age. Bought it at a Ducks Unlimited Auction back in 1978. Came with 15" barrel and Cutz Compensator (adds 3 inch). It will be my primary home defense gun when I can get it repaired. I think the recoil spring is bad and all gun shops are backed up 8 months on repairs.

Was going to "play" with it and modify it but decided that leaving it alone is best. By the way, if I fire this gun, the BAG will be deaf if nothing else. This bad boy is LOUD!

You don't necessarily need to find an 18" new barrel. Just find a spare regular length barrel at a pawn shop or gun shop reasonable, and have a gunsmith cut it down and replace the bead front post and blue the cut end. I did this years ago with my former Mossberg 500. Found a spare 26" barrel at a pawn shop for $45 and had a gunsmith do the work for $20. For $65 I had my HD shotty, and still could go do the clays with the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Uhh, yeah... its easy to do and very common as well. Go for it. Just dont get to caught up in the "sound will scare them away" folklore, and dont ruin a good old Wingmaster in the process. If you think you might want to ninja it up, buy a newer one to ruin; those old wingmasters are great.

I know, the noise scaring the BG only happens in the movies!! It's way over rated. So is changing the barrell a big thing? I am no gunsmith by any means but I figured I could change the barrell.

And 00 buck is the best to use for SD?

Administrator
    No, changing the barrel isnt a big deal at all. A one armed chimp can do it.

I prefer 00 buck, but there is a lot of valid schools of thought about shot size.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    And 00 buck is the best to use for SD?
    I would buy 00 and #4 Buck and pattern them out of your shogun at HD ranges. At the longest shot you would make in your house.

Both would work fine, if you are worried about over-penatration I would use #4 Buck.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    That guy didnt look much like a chimp Ramrod... but he did show how easy it is.

Here is a detailed video of an 870 takedown;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ORAz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nsJ...eature=related

Its a lot more info than you asked for, but its all good to know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow...Nice Video, looks pretty simple.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Wow...Nice Video, looks pretty simple.
    Start part 2 of the video I posted at the 7:50 mark, the guy in the video specifically addresses your question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I bought an 18" barrel for an old Remington 1100 online.

I know nothing about shotguns, and made the switch with ease.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The sound of a shotgun being pumped may or may not scare someone away. It is certainly the universal language version of "I am awake and know you are there!" I work big-city police patrol, and keep the chamber empty while the gun rides in the car. Sometimes I ease the action back and forth quietly, and sometimes I rack it loudly, depending on whether I want stealth or intimidation. Yes, I have made some folks almost jump out of their skins. I may someday meet the bad guy whose resolve is strengthened by the sound of my shotgun.

As for accessorizing, I am in the minimalist camp. If you plan to lie in wait, and defend only the bedroom, the long barrel is fine as-is. Get a short barrel for going mobile. A fresh magazine spring is a good idea, and while at it, a follower from Vang-Comp or Scattergun Technologies is also a good idea. I like the extended safety offered by Vang-Comp, too.

There is an excellent training video with Louis Awerbuck instructing in the use of the shotgun. Tom Givens also has a video available now, and by reputation, I bet it is good, too. While a video is no substitute for live coaching, you will be better-prepared having seen the video than having not.

Some will recommend "side-saddle" ammo carriers. I don't like them, as the shotgun's balance is upset. A sling loaded with spare shells also upsets the balance, and if the gun is swung, and then stopped on a target, the sling continues until it reaches its limit, then jerks the weapon off-target. A butt-cuff ammo carrier is a better alternative, if you must attach the spare ammo to the weapon, but it gets in the way of ambidextrous use. There is no free lunch if you want extra ammo on the weapon. Gabe Suarez, a well-known instructor, recommends an ammo pouch stored with the shotgun; pick them up together.

Regarding working the action quietly, make sure your gun will do so. My shotguns are smooth, with no hitches in the git-along, and will cycle a shell smoothly, fast or slow. Your mileage may vary. Some guns require the action to be worked briskly.

If there is no slot in your shell lifter, your shotgun pre-dates the "anti-jam Flexi-tab" shell lifter. This feature will keep your shotgun running if two shells jump the shell stop, instead of just one. Men fought with pump shotguns for decades before this feature existed, but it is a worthwhile feature, because there is no fast way to fix this malf during a fight; you must transition to another weapon, or fix bayonets. It will take a gunsmith's attention to make this change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links