Slings on SD, HD, or department issue Shotguns?

This is a discussion on Slings on SD, HD, or department issue Shotguns? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That's right...this is going to be a poll. Does a sling have any place on the HD (home defense), or SD (self defense), or the ...

View Poll Results: HD, SD, or standard issue Shotgun...sling or no sling?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sling

72 56.69%
  • No sling

55 43.31%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slings on SD, HD, or department issue Shotguns?

Slings on SD, HD, or department issue Shotguns?

That's right...this is going to be a poll. Does a sling have any place on the HD (home defense), or SD (self defense), or the department issue (patrol car) shotgun? Elaborate after your poll choice as to why or why not. Does a self defense shotgun warrant a sling for any useful purpose? Or will it just get in the way?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Does it get in the way of a SD rifle? No. You bet they have a purpose.

Carry, ammo storage, free up your hands and still carry your gun.

I even use them on some of my hunting SxS shotguns
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    Yes to slings on shotguns; I have one on my personal SD 870 for the reason Chorizo stated....frees up the hands for other tasks.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I like slings, they're good to have in case you have to lug your rifle or shotgun around for any period of time.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Moderator
    Slings are great I have one that holds 15 rounds on my HD shotgun.

I can also use it to help stedy the gun when I fire it.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Slings are great I have one that holds 15 rounds on my HD shotgun.

I can also use it to help steady the gun when I fire it.
    That's mainly what I'm after....to steady the gun just like a rifle...even with a pump shotgun. I put a 1 1/4" web sling on my 870 this evening, and I did it through a set of 1" Uncle Mike's QD's. I do have a set of Uncle Mike's QD's in 1 1/4", I just didn't notice at the time, but my choice is for a sling. And I tried it out for operation, and adjusted it accordingly. Not a bandoleer sling....just a sling for GP. I have a four shot side saddle for the extra shells.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I didnt vote because I did not feel qualified. I am interested in this thread "sling vs. no-sling".

All the guys in my town (mostly Marines and former Military guys) all say to ditch the sling on a rifle for SD/HD purposes. I took it that it applies to shotguns as well?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I didnt vote because I did not feel qualified. I am interested in this thread "sling vs. no-sling".

All the guys in my town (mostly Marines and former Military guys) all say to ditch the sling on a rifle for SD/HD purposes. I took it that it applies to shotguns as well?
    My former M40A1 never saw a sling...it was usually in a drag bag and when deployed, there was no use for a sling. That was an offensive weapon.

VIP Member
    A sling can make noise. Not for me on my HD gun.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

I have a sling on all my long guns. If I want to ditch the sling for whatever reason I have a quick release.

To me it's like wearing a suit to a business meeting at a company you've never been to. When you arrive and see that nobody in the lobby is wearing a tie... in fact, they're in jeans... you can take off your tie and suit coat and fit in well enough. If you don't wear your suit and you step into IBM circa 1980 you're not going to get whatever it is you wanted from that meeting are you?

Same with a sling. If you don't have it, it won't be there when you need it. If it gets in the way, you can ditch it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Yes, slings on all long guns. Make sure it's a suitable sling, however - most shotguns only mount the sling in the "traditional" way (under the barrel and the toe of the stock), which is not conducive to easy carrying or "tactical" use.

Acttimmy - the right sling and mount will not make noise, not that I think this is a serious concern in any case.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I clicked on "sling", and meant click on "no sling". IMHO, the only thing I have found a sling usefull for is to steady the gun (rifle) for those longer shots, and to carry the gun when you don't need it. I can see me now trying to maneuver into a safer position, while in a firefight, with my shorty, only to have that worthless sling get caught on something! You don't need a sling to steady your gun for those long shots, when you are shooting a shorty. As a HD weapon you won't be carring around the gun when you don't need it. That's just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are worth!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    The benefits of a good sling go far beyond steadying the gun for long shots (I've never used one for this, outside of some long range competition shooting) and carrying the weapon over long distances... The real benefit of the sling is to allow you to use your hands without dropping your weapon on the ground.

Opening doors, manipulating light switches, calling 911, and (perhaps most importantly) going hands-on with the BG all require hands - hands that can't be on your weapon at the same time. A good sling can help (at least) balance and maintain control of the weapon when you have to let go with one hand. In a worst case scenario, a sling is an invaluable weapon retention tool - it is much harder for the BG to take your gun away from you when it is strapped to your body. If you also have a pistol, a sling is a HUGE help when transitioning from your long gun to your handgun.

A proper sling, worn correctly, will not snag on things, make noise, or whatever else any more than your groggy, half-blind-with-sleep butt will without a sling.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I voted sling but my 1100 is dual purpose. During deer season its my slug gun and the rest of the year it's my HD shottie. For hunting, the sling is absolutely necessary but in the home, I'm not so sure it matters as much. For HD, I dont think I would use it to "steady" my aim, time is of the essence. I would shoot from the hip if necessary. I dont think the sling would "get in the way" while clearing your home or for protecting your family, I'm just too lazy to remove it after deer season.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Absolutely yes, all my long guns and shotguns have slings.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links