Question on AR Slings

Question on AR Slings

This is a discussion on Question on AR Slings within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm setting up my Bushmaster with M4 stock for use aboard a boat. I'm considering sling setups. Torn between a traditional sling which I would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on AR Slings

Question on AR Slings

I'm setting up my Bushmaster with M4 stock for use aboard a boat. I'm considering sling setups. Torn between a traditional sling which I would use for off hand steadying as well as carry and a single point sling which allows me to let go fast and still be able to have it close to hand. Anyone here actually used one in a water borne environment, particularly around small craft?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    I gave up on 'traditional' slings on ARs in 1991 - about a week after I got to my first unit. They are worthless for anything other than toting it around like a backpack and, in limited circumstances, that "steadying the rifle" scenario.

I tried a single point for a while, but it doesn't really work for me - when you let go of the rifle to transition to the pistol, to go hands-on with a BG, to control your protectee (yeah, I know, this doesn't apply to most folks, but the idea is the same if you need to physically move your startled/injured loved ones away from danger), the weapon hangs too free. I'm tall and lanky, and the weapon is forever whacking me in the knees/thighs, flopping all over, and generally not making it any easier to do whatever it is I'm trying to do.

I also used a three-point for a good while, but that extra strap that runs along the rifle would catch in my chest-mounted gear.

I'm now using a two-point sling from Viking Tactics (this wide/padded one here: Viking Tactics, Inc.)

So far, it is the best combo of control, ease of use, comfort, and retention that I have found. I haven't used it in a real maritime environment, but I don't see that it would suffer more than anything else under those circumstances.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I use a Blackhawk single point sling. I am not in law enforcement, and don't really practice any combat tactics(interested in learning though). I wanted a single point sling so I would not have to drop the rifle to switch to my sidearm if I need to (or want to at the range). The rifle does tend to flop around, so if you plan on doing a lot of moving around and need your hands for other tasks, maybe a single point is not for you. I guess single points are good for posted armed guards and civilians.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

BAC
    A single-point sling will let you "lock up" the rifle as well as any sort of traditional sling. It will also allow you to more easily switch from right- to left-handed shooting. Downside is the barrel/rail will (not might, but will) bang your knees and legs if you let go of the weapon for whatever reason.

Might be best to ask a forum more dedicated to folks who use slings of various types for a living; this forum has its share of end-users, but doesn't have the higher concentration of them that other places will. The most popular slings by far, though, are the Blue Force Gear VCAS and VTAC OPFOR mentioned. Here is a good start; you can use the search function on 10-8 without having to register. Lightfighter is another good option, but you do have to register to search and view posts.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

i use the VTAC-MK1 from viking tactics on my duty ar at work. it was issued to me with the rifle. works better than others for the type of work that i use the ar for. i think black hawk makes the sling for viking, or they have the same thing for sale.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    All of my carbines have Blue Force Gear VCAS slings; excellent slings.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    I have tried 1pt, 2 pt and 3 pt slings. I find the 2 pt works best for all around use. You can easily wear it muzzle down across your chest or sling it across your back for other tasks.
    I ended up with a 2 pt , that can be used as a single point as well. here:
    https://www.rockymountaintactical.ne...sling_2config&
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    A buddy gave me one of those slings Rocky....how do you like it?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks guys, research is ongoing but I like the look of the VTAC. Not going to buy anything until after SHOT!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I would use the Vikings Tactics 2 point padded sling.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    A buddy gave me one of those slings Rocky....how do you like it?
    I like it due to the 2 type of use. I rarely use the single point , because camping, hiking , ect tends to be an active sport and my shins and knees would get to beat up.
    For range practice , it is great for the single point use. The sling in general seems stout and well made. It isn't too bad to adjust (tight- loose) but not as easy as the website makes it appear to be.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have tried all 3 types - the 2 points is the way to go IMO. Mine is a VCAS, although the VTAC also looks good. Just depends where you want the adjustment point and how much adjustability you want.

Austin

I got the Specter 3 point sling and for a good demo of it you can watch this video review.
    NRA Member

In my professional oppinion the Vickers VTAS adjustable sling is the only sling that I will carry an AR15 rifle with.

Nuff said.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I have tried all 3 types - the 2 points is the way to go IMO. Mine is a VCAS, although the VTAC also looks good. Just depends where you want the adjustment point and how much adjustability you want.

Austin
    There's supposed to be a new VCAS out there; "Victory" model or something? Makes it a bit more like the VTAC in the way it adjusts, which is supposed to be an improvement, but keeps the overall feel of the VCAS.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links