Are there any other 1x sights that can hold a candle to AimPoint's battery life?

This is a discussion on Are there any other 1x sights that can hold a candle to AimPoint's battery life? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The EOTech will shut off after a period of time if it isn't being used, so even if you wanted to leave it on for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there any other 1x sights that can hold a candle to AimPoint's battery life?

VIP Member
    The EOTech will shut off after a period of time if it isn't being used, so even if you wanted to leave it on for ten years in your safe, it wouldn't work. I used the same batteries in my EOTech for 15 months - 3 in training and 12 in combat - and they were still good to go at the end.

Pushing one little button seems like a fairly small part of your "holy crap" routine (which includes getting to your house, getting to your safe, opening the safe, withdrawing the rifle, securing extra ammo, and so on and so on), so if you are more comfortable with the reticle on the EOTech I think you should go for it.

Also, if you co-witness the EOTech's window with the front sight, you have a very rough rear sight aperature even if you do forget to turn the optic on - I have trained using this "sight" out to 50m and it is well within minute-of-bad-guy accurate.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

I've been using the latest version of the Tijicon TriPower, and really like it.

Up close I find the chevron a lot faster than a dot due to it's size, at distance it allows for some precision. The Chevron also allows for some limited range finding.

It has a 110 hour battery life, but I'm still on the same batteries after 2 years. The fiber optic covers about 95% of my shooting, and they improved the tritium to be usable without NV. The fiber optic also self adjusts to your ambient light conditions. It can washout due to shooting from dimly lit to bright areas, but I've yet to experience it.

This is a picture of the chevron at 200 meters:

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Lead Moderator
    BtG, I have to ask, but you do realize that unlike some cheaper red dots, the red dot in an Aimpoint does NOT have to be "centered" in the tube to get an on target hit?

Just asking because a lot of folks who have never used one don't realize that.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    BtG, I have to ask, but you do realize that unlike some cheaper red dots, the red dot in an Aimpoint does NOT have to be "centered" in the tube to get an on target hit?

Just asking because a lot of folks who have never used one don't realize that.
    Yes, I do know that. That's one of the reasons I want a good 1x red-dot, so I don't have to worry about eye relief or parallax correction.

Chuck - I'll have to look into that tri-power. I had initially disregarded it when I read the 100hr battery life. If it only draws on the battery rarely to supplement the fiber-optic and tritium, that might be the way to go. Is yours capable of functioning only off the tritium lamp, with no/dead batteries?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Well I don't know if you will like this answer but for me an unmagnified sight that does not need any batteries are iron sights.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Chuck - I'll have to look into that tri-power. I had initially disregarded it when I read the 100hr battery life. If it only draws on the battery rarely to supplement the fiber-optic and tritium, that might be the way to go. Is yours capable of functioning only off the tritium lamp, with no/dead batteries?
    Yes the tritium is visible at night without batteries. The only time I have to turn on the batteries is when using a mounted light indoors. The original 2nd series had low tritium visibility to be NV compatible, but the newer ones are fine.

My 1st 2nd series went back to Trijicon for a dim chevron with Tritium. I received a brand new unit (in a cool Pelican case) with a much, much brighter chevron.

I've taken a couple classes with it and shot a few matches, the chevron really is my favorite reticle.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Yes the tritium is visible at night without batteries. The only time I have to turn on the batteries is when using a mounted light indoors.
    Ah, so the battery power is something you have to turn on, rather than an automatic backup?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Ah, so the battery power is something you have to turn on, rather than an automatic backup?
    Yup, it's a great sight, but not smart enough to turn itself on.....yet. The battery power must be switched on when needed, which so far really hasn't been that often. The tritium and fiber optic are "always" on.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Cool. I think I prefer that for battery conservation anyway, provided the tritium/FO is bright enough for use in most conditions.

One more Q for you: In my research on this site, I've seen a couple of people complain that the fiber optic works both ways, such that if you activate the battery at night, the fiber optic coil on top glows visibly. Have you experienced this?

Bob,

It will glow bright enough to be picked up through NVGs. There's a rubber cover that comes with the sight that pretty much eliminates it though.

I've checked it out with the naked eye and I can't see it without the cover on.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links