Are there any other 1x sights that can hold a candle to AimPoint's battery life?

Are there any other 1x sights that can hold a candle to AimPoint's battery life?

This is a discussion on Are there any other 1x sights that can hold a candle to AimPoint's battery life? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm currently building a new AR for myself, and I've been looking for a good optic to put on it. This rifle will spend most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any other 1x sights that can hold a candle to AimPoint's battery life?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

I'm currently building a new AR for myself, and I've been looking for a good optic to put on it.

This rifle will spend most of its life in my safe, but if I do have to grab it and head out the door (in the event of a hurricane, for example), I don't want to have to turn on the sight or worry about whether its batteries are low. I just want it to be ready and waiting.

Aimpoints and ACOG's are the only sights I've found that can be left on almost indefinitely. Yeah, 10yrs isn't exactly a lifetime, but I can handle replacing a battery once every decade when I replace my medical supplies, etc anyway.

I've never owned an aimpoint, but I've shot a couple, as well as other similar knockoffs, and I just don't like the lone red dot reticle. It's harder for my eye to find on complex backgrounds and the 4MOA dot is a bit imprecise to shoot further away, in my opinion. The ACOG chevron reticle is a little better, but they are all magnified, which I do not want.

I'm most comfortable with an EOTech style ring-and-dot or Bushnell's T-Dot reticle. I really like this guy's 1-4x, but they're impossible to find for the present and don't seem to have any better battery life than the cheap knockoffs.

The battery life is the important thing for me. So, what options are out there that can offer multi-year always on battery life with some more variety in reticle choice? I'm not opposed to a magnified optic so long as it can be used in 1x as well. The Nightforce 1-4x NSX looked promising until I found out it will go dead within a couple of weeks if left on.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Even though I'm an Aimpoint fanboy/cool-aid drinker I do think the Eotech is a good solution for folks with the complaints you have. It's a combat proven optic and it works. Get the AA model and replace the batteries on a routine schedule, say every 6 months or a year and leave it on.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    For unmagnified I would also go eotech.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Been giving a lot of thought to EOTech as well. They still only claim 1000hrs or so of run-time, though. Changing batteries every 6 weeks is a far cry from the Aimpoint, and knowing me, the one time I would forget would be the week the zombies attacked.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I've never owned an aimpoint, but I've shot a couple, as well as other similar knockoffs, and I just don't like the lone red dot reticle. It's harder for my eye to find on complex backgrounds and the 4MOA dot is a bit imprecise to shoot further away, in my opinion.
    I'm not sure what model you have tried. I have an Aimpoint M4 and it's got a 2 MOA dot so you get a better look at distant targets, and about 12 (actually 16, first 4 used for night vision) different levels of brightness on the dot. I don't think I've ever used it at it's brightest level, even in bright sunlight. The M4 is also the one that uses 2 AA batteries, and is supposed to be good for "10 years".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I'm not sure what model you have tried. I have an Aimpoint M4 and it's got a 2 MOA dot so you get a better look at distant targets, and about 12 (actually 16, first 4 used for night vision) different levels of brightness on the dot. I don't think I've ever used it at it's brightest level, even in bright sunlight. The M4 is also the one that uses 2 AA batteries, and is supposed to be good for "10 years".
    I think it was an M3 that I shot, along with several of the lesser red-dots (Bushnell/Burris/etc). I don't doubt the brightness of the dot - it's just been my experience that regardless of brightness, I tend to lose the dot when in front of a complex background or when sweeping the rifle from target to target, and it takes me that extra second or so to find it and reaquire my aim. And if the dot is large enough to keep me from losing it, then it obscures longer range targets completely.

I don't have this problem with the ring/dots, as it's very easy to follow a large circle and infer that the point of aim is at its center, along the same lines as a rear peep sight.

I'm actually a little surprised that Aimpoint hasn't picked up on the popularity of other reticle styles and offered choices in their sights, like Trijicon or pretty much every other manufacturer does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post

I'm actually a little surprised that Aimpoint hasn't picked up on the popularity of other reticle styles and offered choices in their sights, like Trijicon or pretty much every other manufacturer does.
    They'd lose their battery life. The reason an Aimpoint lasts so long on such little battery power is the LED. Different shapes complicate things a great deal for the system that they use. The Eotech uses a laser to produce its hologram dot, so that allows them to have a very complex reticle but it's bad for battery life. The trijicon's use tritium which is similarly adaptable for complex reflex reticles.

I like trijicon's sights but I can afford my aimpoints.

And I didn't realize the Eotech only gets 1k hours... hmmm...
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I understand the appeal of an "always on" sight, but really... it is not difficult to push the "on" button when you pull the gun from the safe/case/etc., and there are several ways to carry spare batteries in/on the gun.

I also have a CompM4 - takes 1 AA battery and lasts for 7 years on the 12th of 16 brightness settings. It is very easy to find the dot no matter the background. If you are in a brightly lit area, just turn the dot brighter. I suggest taking another look at some Aimpoints - and not on the same day as a bunch of other sights. JMHO

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I understand the appeal of an "always on" sight, but really... it is not difficult to push the "on" button when you pull the gun from the safe/case/etc., and there are several ways to carry spare batteries in/on the gun.
    My other reason for wanting a battery miser sight is as part of my total SHTF preparation. Batteries would be one of the items I would want to conserve for use in lighting and communications, and if I have to feed my rifle new batteries every couple of months, that's that many fewer batteries I have for other uses.

If Aimpoint are the only ones who offer always-on battery life longer than a few months in a non-magnified optic, then I might just have to get one and try to get used to the reticle.

BAC
    Have played with the different brightness settings on the Aimpoint, or the 2 MOA dot Aimpoints?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Have played with the different brightness settings on the Aimpoint, or the 2 MOA dot Aimpoints?

-B
    A little bit, but I'll probably spend some time at the gunshop fondling some if I can find any in stock.

I was hoping another alternative existed, but it appears nobody knows of any.

I used to have a C-More on an AR i used in 3 gun competition years ago and that battery would last a good while before it needed replacing....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

On one of my rifles I have the forged front sight (my others have folders). I haven't tried it extensively (just played around a little while thinking about your situation) - but I bet it would help you find the dot. I have lower 1/3 witness, so if I take a standard iron-sights cheek-weld I see the red dot burning right at the tip of my front sight post. If you can't find that fast, then... well...

That's an interesting idea. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links