Which Aimpoint?

This is a discussion on Which Aimpoint? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm still gettin tax free pay and feel like spending some of it, so I'm adding to my Bushmaster M-4 back home, already got ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Aimpoint?

Which Aimpoint?

So, I'm still gettin tax free pay and feel like spending some of it, so I'm adding to my Bushmaster M-4 back home, already got some MI quad rails on the way and some other stuff like a VFG and surefire mount, so, now I'm gonna try and find a good optic. I've shot M-4's with Aimpoints before, but don't remember which model, but I liked em.

I don't need the ones that are adaptable to NVG's for a civilian rifle. I'd like to keep this to like $500 or so, so what's a good sight? Like Bravo Co has the ML2 for under 400, and the Comp 3 for 500. Any major differences aside from the dot size?

Also, the who knows the best mounting system for a flattop AR?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The best Aimpoint? The EOTech...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well OPFOR, honestly I haven't been impressed with EOTech's that I have shot. A few guys have em over here, and they have all sorts of issues with em. Problems with holding zero's, barrety life issues, some that are just plain broke (yeah, fire away with dumb Marine grunt jokes too).

I'd really like an ACOG, but that like a months pay for me, so it aint gonna happen.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

AEA
    Aimpoint CompM4:

February 2007
    In 2006, the US Army ran a series of competitive tests to determine if there was another sight available that performed better than their existing Aimpoint CompM2’s. When the testing was completed, an Aimpoint sight was once again proven to be the best available. That sight, the Aimpoint CompM4, has been standardized as the Army’s new M68CCO and is now available in the North American market. The US Army has recently awarded Aimpoint with a contract for 163,000 of these sights.

The electronic components in the CompM4 improve upon Aimpoint’s existing state-of-the-art ACET diode circuitry, allowing this new sight to run constantly for over 8 years on a single AA battery. The CompM4 features an internal voltage regulator that allows the sight to operate on any AA size battery available worldwide.

The CompM4 is now the latest version of the US Army’s M68 CCO (Close-Combat Optic), continuing a legacy that Aimpoint has maintained since 1997. The CompM4 is the finest sight that Aimpoint has ever produced. Improvements include improved energy efficiency that provides up to 8 years of continuous use from a single AA battery! The CompM4 incorporates an integral mount that eliminates the need for a separate ring, and can be customized with vertical and forward spacers to fit a variety of weapon systems. The CompM4 can also be used by hunters and sport shooters that need night vision compatibility.

The performance of the CompM4 is optimized for use with all generations of night vision devices (NVDs), but is especially suited for 3rd generation night vision technology. Aimpoint’s unique band-pass coating on the front lens reflects select frequencies of red light at near 100% efficiency in order to give the highest possible dot brightness with the smallest amount of energy while transmitting nearly 100% of light in the Infrared and near-infrared part of the spectrum to provide the clearest, brightest image possible when used with a 3rd generation NVD. With 7 NVD-compatible brightness settings and 9 Daylight settings including one extra-bright setting, the CompM4 is ready for use around the clock.

Unique features
    • Compatible with every generation of Night Vision Devices (NVD)
    • Super ACET technology allows up to 80,000 hours (over 8 years) of daytime operation on one AA battery
    • Internal voltage regulator allows the CompM4 to be used with any AA size battery.
    • Seven night vision compatible settings and 9 daylight settings
    • QRP2 mount has twice the clamping force of the original QRP, and the mounting knob is wider and shorter to improve operation, and lessen the chance of becoming snagged on other gear.
    • Mount base is “keyed” into to the body of the sight to absorb recoil.
    • Mount base screws directly into the sight – no separate sight ring is required.
    • 500,000 hours of use on NVD setting
    • 2 MOA dot for close combat and long distance engagement
    • Matches perfectly with Aimpoint 3XMag, (magnifier module).
    • Unequalled light transmission.
    • Front lens opening is threaded for addition of killFlash® anti-reflective device.
    • Submersible to 150 feet (45 meters)
    • Vertical spacer included
    • Standardized as the US Army’s new M68CCO
    • Improved adjustment caps are easier to remove, and are protected against impact.
    • Can be used with a carry handle adaptor for use on all M16 rifles.

i got an eotech 552.a65/1 on my work gun. seems to be well made and has held up on the job.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I haven't tried the others but I'm a fan of the CompM4, mainly because of published battery life, though I think that is above the price range.

On the other hand IIRC with the others you have to buy a mount and with the CompM4 the mount comes with it...

I have a CompM4 as well as a magnifier with a flip up mount (http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html...cs_Mounts.html). Yeah, I know it's overkill, but I had money burning a hole in my pocket at the time.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I have a CompM4 as well as a magnifier with a flip up mount (SAMSON Mounts : Samson Manufacturing). Yeah, I know it's overkill, but I had money burning a hole in my pocket at the time.
    +1 except I went for LaRue QR mounts to try and make my SIG 556 as "all purpose" as I could.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    I'm a dumb grunt, most of my friends are dumb grunts, and my favorite people in the world are dumb grunts - you'll get no jokes from me. I've had the opposite experience - the EOTech holding up better then the M68s - but to each their own. Both are good optics, I just prefer the features of the EOTech, and I'm not too worried about any battery life issues considering my past experiences. Even the Army got us new batteries before eight years had passed...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have an ML3 with a Larue cantilever mount:
    Aimpoint Comp ML3 w/ LaRue Tactical QD Mount (STANDARD MOUNT SHOWN)

$566 + it comes with some cool schwag.

The ML3 has the newer technology (ACET) like the M4 but does not have NV settings or optical coating. It's supposedly good for 50k hours on setting 7/10.

The ML2 would be the non-NV version of what you probably used in the Service (M68 CCO = M2). It uses CET and has about a 10k hour battery life.

The Larue mounts are sturdy as hell, and the cantilever mount (LT129) has a spare battery plug that's accessible without removing the mount.

You can't get an ML2 from them (not that I'm aware) so you'd be going the separate purchases route if you decided to go with their mount but it should get you to your price point.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

OPFOR,
    I'm aware you are a dumb grunt, and respect ya for it brother, whats why I threw Marine ahead of dumb grunts (we don't got no fancy hi-speed ranger gear we just plow through things). Anyways, if ya got a minute, and would care to elaborate on your experiences with the sights, I'd appreciate your input. I know things down the road your way are a bit hectic, so don't feel obligated.

Matiki, I have an ACOG I've been issued, but it's too pricey for me to buy one for a civilian rifle.

Thanks everyone for your input so far, if anyone else has anything to say I'd be glad for input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The best Aimpoint? The EOTech...
    Going to have to disagree with that one

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    Going to have to disagree with that one
    AGree+1
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

LaRue does sell the ML2:

Aimpoint Comp ML2 10338 w/LaRue Tactical QD Mount

For the money, I'd get a 2 MOA ML3 + LaRue mount:

Aimpoint Comp ML3 w/ LaRue Tactical QD Mount (STANDARD MOUNT SHOWN)

Whatever Aimpoint you get, put it in a LaRue mount. They're awesome.

The Comp C3 is a good choice too - long battery life, and its cheaper because it isn't compatible with NV devices. It isn't waterproof below 5m or something like that, but still a good sight if you don't plan on dropping it in the water or using NVGs with it.

I got the Comp M4 and I like it. The Comp M4S looks good too. Enjoy!

Austin

I like the M3 2moa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links