Chip McCormick AR-15 triggers discontinued?

This is a discussion on Chip McCormick AR-15 triggers discontinued? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've just about run out of things to do with my AR, but I think I'd really like to add a match trigger. I absolutely ...

Thread: Chip McCormick AR-15 triggers discontinued?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Chip McCormick AR-15 triggers discontinued?

I've just about run out of things to do with my AR, but I think I'd really like to add a match trigger. I absolutely love the feel of a trigger with almost no slack, and has a light, crisp break, with little to no overtravel. I think this describes a single stage. Not exactly sure what a double stage feels like, though I know how they work. I'd try one if I could.

Anyway, to the point of my post. Midway USA has the Chip McCormick drop in single stage #3.5 trigger listed as "discontinued". Is CM no longer making trigger kits? I also couldn't find the CM website on google for some reason. Gave me some search site.

I haven't heard much about other manufacturers, so I don't know which ones are quality.

I've heard Jewell triggers are good, and RRA also. How do they compare to the CM? RRA doesn't list their trigger pull, so I assume it's adjustable.

Drop in isn't a requirement for me. I've taken the trigger grouping apart and put it back together and know what I'm doing. If CM isn't making them anymore, what would you recommend?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

RRA isn't adjustable, 4.5 lbs. Everyone seems to say really good things about Geiselle(hope I spelled that right). They are expensive though.

RRA is 2 stage,you take up the slack then a little more and bang
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    RRA is 2 stage,you take up the slack then a little more and bang
    RRA has both a standard and a two-stage trigger. The two-stage is a about $110 more at retail.

Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-15 .223 Lower Receivers & Parts Kits
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I've always liked RRA stuff.

Doin a little research has led me to think JP Enterprise may be a good way to go. Anyone have experience with them? Their kit is cheaper at $170 than the CM, and isn't drop in.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I've heard Jewell triggers are good, and RRA also. How do they compare to the CM? RRA doesn't list their trigger pull, so I assume it's adjustable.
    No experience with the RRA but the Jewell triggers are something pretty special. I have a Jewell in my Remington 700 22-250 and I have one in my Colt H-Bar lower that I have a DPMS varmint upper mounted to. On the AR, the Jewell (small pin model is on sale at Midway until Jan. 31) takes some set-up but it is a fantastic trigger.

While I haven't any personal experience, I have heard some very good things about the Timney Drop-In Triggers (be sure to read all the reviews on Midway's site). I may end up trying one of these in my AR carbine as I'd prefer to have a single stage trigger in it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

How would I find out if I need a small pin or large pin model? I have a Bushmaster lower bought in 2003
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    How would I find out if I need a small pin or large pin model? I have a Bushmaster lower bought in 2003
    This is from Midway's web site:
    AR-15 Hammer and Trigger Pin Dimensions:

# Some Colt® AR type rifles have been manufactured with hammer and trigger pins and holes which are approximately .176" in diameter. These are referred to as "large pin" Colts. This was done to eliminate the chances of someone putting M16 fire control parts into an AR receiver. This is not found in all Colt models, just some.

# All other AR type rifle manufacturers have stayed with the .156" diameter hammer and trigger pins and holes, or "small pin" which is the same spec used in all military M16 rifles.

# Measure your pins or the holes in your lower receiver to determine if you have a "small" or "large" hole Colt® AR

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Sounds like since it's not a colt it's a small hole
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks for the help. I love my AR so much...every year she evolves a little more. I've decided on the JP complete trigger kit with the red hammer spring. Watched the videos and installation is easily within my capabilities. Started browsing their site some more and I'll be getting a Badger Ordnance tactical latch and the tightening reciever pins to replace my accuwedge. Eventually I'll probably free float it and get a bipod too. I use it for coyote hunting and target shooting, but it's also a defense rifle, so I'm not going to throw on anything that would reduce reliability or decrease tactical advantage. I'll swap out to the stock reciever pins for hunting...would hate to have to break it down in the field and not have the tool.
    -Ryan

Links