Ar-15 hanguard quad rail question - Page 2

Ar-15 hanguard quad rail question

This is a discussion on Ar-15 hanguard quad rail question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; +1 on the Troy or for around $170 get the surefire M73 Drop in rail. Amazing quality. I have one and love it!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ar-15 hanguard quad rail question

+1 on the Troy or for around $170 get the surefire M73 Drop in rail. Amazing quality. I have one and love it!!

where the heck is the gun?????????????
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You sir apparently know Gecko45
    He's just crashing with me until his parents get done refinishing their basement.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

My UTG quad rail fit my Bushmaster just fine. And it is solid, and square with the world. IMO, you've done something wrong if the barrel nut is in the way of it, or causing it to be off kilter. I also agree with a previous post of never mounting a scope split between the flat top and the fore end. No reason for that, and not good. I could care less if the UTG quad rail was designed for airsoft stuff or not. It works well on my AR-15, and I like it.

I purchased the longer UTG rails from CTD. They fit very snug on the 20' Bushmaster. For what I wanted the rifle for, they really do the trick.

I threw on the vertical grip for now, but that will go on my stag 2h build..
    Attached Images

I guess it's best to show this issue in pictures. When I measure, the handguard is 2cm off from top dead center.

Okay...now.....this is what I want to ask you. Have you fired the rifle and sighted it in with open sights? Were you able to get it on target without excessive adjustments on the front or rear sights? Reason I'm asking (and I've been down the road before with my second Bushmaster) is that your barrel may actually be misaligned. It happens. The second Bushmaster I had actually wouldn't zero with open sights...per instructions...at 25yds! After a couple of calls to Bushmaster, and me denying that I was a doctor or lawyer out with my first AR-15, they had me send it back for warranty. From what they said in the return letter was that the barrel was not indexed correctly from the factory, and a small apology from them thinking I was crazy with my issue. HECK! I must have wasted a good 100 rounds at 25yds trying to zero my rifle to no avail. I had shot, doped, and qualified with the M16 many times. If you've ever shot someone's rifle where the scope was off cant, you'll know how the hunting around goes....chase the holes. And it had me baffled and I almost had a tumor over it. Surely I wasn't that stupid. When I got it back from Bushmaster, everything was simple and good to go.

I have shot it once so far but haven't head the chance to zero it in yet due to the weather. When I did shoot it though, it seemed to shoot straight with no real issue, my dad (former military) was able to place shots within 1 inch left to right of center and 2 inches top to bottom of the center at 50 yards having never shot an ar-15 before that point. My shots were not extremely accurate because I had never shot a rifle before, but the ones I did line up right were straight, just off on elevation, with a few off to the sides but manager=d to get 1 inch groupings more than once on target about 4 inches to the right of center (winds were about 25mph that day, which is why it was 70 degrees at the end of december). This being done while standing and using the iron sights. it all seems very straight with the front and rear sights lining up very well....until I put on that handguard. That's the only thing I can see as being twisted slightly, but I may be totally off.

Any way to measure this easily?

EDIT: In looking a little closer, the flash hider at the end is also twisted slightly in the same direction as the handguard. Are those always going to line up straight when attached if the barrel is straight?

The front sight alignment on an AR-15 is semi-independent of the barrel nuts position. The gas tube is smaller than the gap between the teeth on the barrel nut, so the barrel nut can be slightly left or right of center and the gun barrel and front sight will still be true.

Can you take a picture of the barrel nut with the hand guards removed - up close so we can see where the gas tube enters the receiver? (You'll need to have someone hold the delta ring back)

EDIT: Or I suppose you could just eyeball it and let us know if the gas tube is up against one side of the groove in the barrel nut rather than centered.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It looks to me like in in the first picture and when I look straight on at it that the gas tube is a little to the left (when looking from the front of the barrel to the back, same way the guard is twisted). I don't know if that would be from the barrel nut slightly off or the barrel twisted, but the gas tube continues straight to the front sight and lines up with it.

OK. The barrel nut is not centered and you can see that there's a slight gap on the right side of the gas tube because the gas tube is being jammed by the barrel nut.

If you have a barrel wrench and an action block this could be an easy fix. Pop the gas tube out, set your torque wrench to 80 ft lbs and tighten the barrel nut a smidgeon to center the tube. If your wrench doesn't pop you're set. If your wrench pops, you'll need to back the nut off, set to 30 ft lbs, once it pops, set it to 80 ft lbs and then torque to the next hole.

Or... you can send it back or get a smith to fix it.

Thanks for the help, makes a world of difference for newbie me! If I decide i wanna go shooting before i get it set straight by someone better with these than I, will it hurt to shoot with the gas tube slightly off like that? I don't wanna damage anything because of that being off if it's pushing against the tube.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by swatpup102 View Post
    Thanks for the help, makes a world of difference for newbie me! If I decide i wanna go shooting before i get it set straight by someone better with these than I, will it hurt to shoot with the gas tube slightly off like that? I don't wanna damage anything because of that being off if it's pushing against the tube.
    If it works fine now, it probably is o.k. I cannot think of anything that will be damaged if you do fire it.
    The gas tube does look to be off slightly , perhaps asking on AR15.COM you can find some one on the hometown(state) forum near you who has the knowledge and tools to help you fix it .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I can't imagine you having any problems shooting it. The gas tube is bent at both ends to accommodate the difference between the gas port height on the front sight base and the receiver - so being off just a little bit just twists it, rather than bending it further. This is about a five minute fix at any gunsmith with the right tools... it's worth paying someone to do it if you can't but it's not likely you'll have secondary complications.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swatpup102 View Post
    I once was issued an M-16 that had a similar problem. Check inside the upper receiver to ensure the bolt carrier key is properly lining up with the gas tube. You might do this by separating the upper, remove the bolt from the carrier, and manually slide the carrier forward until it meets the tube. If it binds, discontinue use until repaired.

In my case, it was not and it ended up damaging the tube and the carrier key (although the rifle still functioned)
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links