Ar-15 hanguard quad rail question

This is a discussion on Ar-15 hanguard quad rail question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I purchased a UTG quad rail for christmas from cheaperthandirt for my carbine I love the rail so far in terms of durability and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So I purchased a UTG quad rail for christmas from cheaperthandirt for my carbine

I love the rail so far in terms of durability and feel, but am having a little trouble with it. I am new to the AR and rifles in general so bear with me in my horrible description of the issue.

Rifle is a DMPS panther carbine. When I installed the handguard i pulled back the rubber piece that holds it on and there is what looks like a gear for the handguard to fit snug into. When i put the piece 2 pieces of the handguard together, the rails are slightly tilted to the right and the top rail does not line up perfectly with the A3 flat rail on the rifle itself. Is this just a flaw in the handguard or can that gear looking piece be turned at all to make it line up straight? I'd like to be able to put a scope on that splits between the two rails, but when i do it's tilted to the right because the rail doesn't perfectly line up. Any ideas?

Lead Moderator
    The "gear" is actually the barrel nut . This piece holds the barrel to the upper. The barrel nut can be tightened, ect but I would suggest reading up on AR15.COM on terminology as well as how to go about building a AR .this will explain how how everything works better than I could explain it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    The "gear" is actually the barrel nut . This piece holds the barrel to the upper. The barrel nut can be tightened, ect but I would suggest reading up on AR15.COM on terminology as well as how to go about building a AR .this will explain how how everything works better than I could explain it.
    Makes sense to me now! Thanks for the info. I am going to assume that a completely factory built ar-15 probably has the barrel nut pretty tight and shouldn't be over tightened, but if I want to align it is there any room to adjust?

Lead Moderator
    You may be able to adjust it slightly, however the gas tube needs to be able to clear the teeth of the barrel nut. Also you will need a wrench and remove the gas tube . I am guessing it will depend how much adjustment is needed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by swatpup102 View Post
    but if I want to align it is there any room to adjust?
    Short answer: no. The barrel nut is tightened to a specific torque. If one doesn't know why that is, one should not be "altering" that fastener.

Not to dampen your spirits, but UTG really is Airsoft-ware. Lots of folks use them, and on (perhaps) an AK, I wouldn't argue much, but adapting a $1000+ carbine to "fit" a $60 cast fore end isn't exactly maximizing your potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Short answer: no. The barrel nut is tightened to a specific torque. If one doesn't know why that is, one should not be "altering" that fastener.

Not to dampen your spirits, but UTG really is Airsoft-ware. Lots of folks use them, and on (perhaps) an AK, I wouldn't argue much, but adapting a $1000+ carbine to "fit" a $60 cast fore end isn't exactly maximizing your potential.
    True, but at the same time if it works and holds up, why not use it? I have a feeling if that one doesn't fit from the reviews I have read then none of them will. I don't see it being made off spec, so any quad rail guard i put on there is most likely going to suffer from the same issue. I understand why it's set that way after researching more, I just think that like anything else it may need tweaked a hair if it's not on the perfect spot. I won't know till I look though.

The UTG holds up very well from the limited shooting I have done so far. Seeing as this will be shot not as often as my pistol, I would say buying the rifle and then spending another $1000 on accessories is pretty pointless for me at the moment. If I shot it more then sure, but I just don't see the need (or the funds) right now. Not trying to say it's high quality, just saying if it isn't broke, why change it?

Now on the other hand if I went to a different, better brand and it fit correctly without adjustment, then by all means it's worth it, but I don't see that happening. But hey, I could be 100% wrong. The learning continues!

Lead Moderator
    I have seen the UTG rails. They seem fine to me, atleast on par with Yankee Hill machine . Unless you are mounting an optic or laser on the rail, I don't see the need for a $200-$300 rail on a rifle unless you are going in harms way.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The barrel nut has to be tightened to no less than 30 ft-lbs then aligned with the next hole in the barrel nut - but not to exceed 80 ft-lbs. If you don't have the tools to make sure, I wouldn't touch it. Even if you do have the appropriate tools, the chances of you being able to get enough movement to justify doing it, while still being able to get the gas tube into the upper receiver is slim.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Take the loss on the UTG, get rid of it and buy a Troy MRF Drop-in. Absolutely no movement and very high quality. You won't be sorry.

..... I'd like to be able to put a scope on that splits between the two rails, but when i do it's tilted to the right because the rail doesn't perfectly line up. Any ideas?
    Lined up or not, I would not recomend mounting a scope on floating hand guard. You will never get a true zero, even if splitting the rails between a flat top receiver and the railed handguard.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Now on the other hand if I went to a different, better brand and it fit correctly without adjustment, then by all means it's worth it, but I don't see that happening. But hey, I could be 100% wrong. The learning continues!
    Knight's RIS/RAS bottom on the lockring and do not engage the tines of the barrel nut. ARMS SIR attaches to the flattop upper. Both can be found, used, for +/-$180, if you really shop.

Look, I'm not saying you have to have all the "tacticool toys," but, if you're using a VFG and/or light/optic/sight for practical puropses, SHTF, whatever, I would suggest using something that is rigid enough "use." No "learning" to be done there, you can't ram with UTG.

If it's just a cool add-on for the range, by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    If it's just a cool add-on for the range, by all means.
    Until i really learn this thing much better and can afford the better stuff, this is correct

I gotta admit that when I see some desk jockey show up at the gun range and pull an AR15 out with every doodad imaginable hanging off it I have a hard time not p-ing all over myself
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I gotta admit that when I see some desk jockey show up at the gun range and pull an AR15 out with every doodad imaginable hanging off it I have a hard time not p-ing all over myself

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post

You sir apparently know Gecko45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links