First shots: Charles Daly VR-MC 12g semi-auto

This is a discussion on First shots: Charles Daly VR-MC 12g semi-auto within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've had this gun (in sig below) for several months, so my son and I finally took it out this weekend to put some rounds ...

Thread: First shots: Charles Daly VR-MC 12g semi-auto

I've had this gun (in sig below) for several months, so my son and I finally took it out this weekend to put some rounds through it. We also put several hundred rounds each through a friends bushy AR, another friends mini-14 and my 1911.

Its been several years since I've shot a 12g, I didn't remember them kicking as hard as this one did. Its got a very long ribbed barrel, a rubber pad on the end of the stock and I was shooting 3" bb-shot. It kicked like a mule, I mean pain and bruises by the second shot. Being the masochist that I am, I shot another 10-15 through it anyway.

I shot several 12g's when I was younger, had a pistol grip Mossberg and used a friends Remington 1100. I don't think they were nearly as harsh. I mean to the point that it was unpleasant (read=painful) to shoot.

Is it just me? Is it the gun? Was it the round? I tried to pick the cheapest load, just to waste for a day of plinking/blasting. I was thinking the bb-shot would be the tamest load. I keep 00 in it at the house, I'd hate to see what that feels like at this point, not to mention slugs.

Makes me have second thoughts of using this gun for a combat shotgun course (200 shot rounds + 25 slugs in two days). Just throwing the gun at a home invader (while shooting them with my .45) would be much less painful. :)

Other than the recoil, it fed and shot perfectly.
    *** IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, DIAL - 1911 ***

Dan Wesson / CZ: Pointman 7, Stainless .45 ACP
    LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

Charles Daly: Field Hunter VR-MC, Semi-Auto 12g

if you were shooting 3" mags for plinking no wonder why you were getting beat up.

Also stock fit etc etc and way gun is amde what it weighs all take up or give some recoil ..

looks like a rem copy so should be decent..pic looks like it has barely any recoil pad and that would make a difference

Im havnt used this model so those are guess's

Assistant Administrator
    I too am thinking ''punishment'' if you were using 3" loads.

I am amazed at the difference every time I loose off a 3" mag load, compared with std 2 3/4. I'd say recoil feels like +50%!!

IIRC my Baikal has a ''limb saver'' pad and that makes one heck of a difference - better than a Pachy slip on.

It looks very ''Rem 1100'' and I would imagine could handle quite nicely - but do try some std loads next time!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    As said, big diffrence between 3" ans 2 3/4". Also the heavier the shot, it seems the stiffer the recoil. Some may be the gun too. depending on the comb and length of pull.

I feel like a 'tard. I bought 75 rounds of 2 3/4" shells, then got out to shoot and only saw 3" stamped on the barrel, so I was afraid it wouldn't shoot 2 3/4's correctly, so I didn't shoot it, since I didn't know for sure. Next day, I went back to wally world, bought some 3" and thats what I shot. I really didn't think there would be that much difference in the 1/4", guess I'm wrong...damn I hate being a newb. It hurts. :)

Like I said, I bought this gun several months ago and couldn't find my paperwork that came with it before we left that day. I just looked on their site and it does say it will handle both...good to know, I'll print that page out and wrap some ice with it for my shoulder.

Are there any type of recoil pads or anything like similar that will fit on this stock? Since it is remmy-like? What are the chances something for a remmy would fit? What can you guys recommend for 'most effective' at reducing felt recoil.

Also, for plinking, training and target practice, what is the weakest load to use? Is there a better selection? What should I look for at wally world?

LaserMax, Carbon Fiber Ultra-thin Grips, Milt Sparks VM2, Milt Sparks 1.5" Tapered Gun Belt, Nickel Buckle, Galco Dual Magazine Carrier

synthnic stock or wood looks synth.. Might be able to put the( r3 remington version of the sims) recoil pad on it by sims check here to see if they list your model..

Looks like its a 11-87 copy so pad should fit it http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/home.aspx

Assistant Administrator
    No sweat Trade - just a pity your shoulder had to suffer so much!!

Get some 7/8 ounce HV loads - Rem used to do them and probably still do - they are 1200 fps but very comfy to shoot.

Of course as you now know the gun is ''3" capable'' - but most of time it'll do fine on the 2 3/4!

I mentioned earlier - on my Baikal - a ''Limb Saver'' pad is very good indeed. Not sure where to go to find but mine is slip on so - almost bound to suit yours. (Ahh - good - see Bud has added a link.)

Here is Baikal with it on - not that it shows you a whole lot.

Chris - P95

I just sent CD an email to see if 11-87 stock stuff would fit mine, we'll see. If not, I'll get one of the slip ons. Now, what the hell am I going to do with the remaining 3" shells I have left. ;)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm sure with the 2.75" shells and a better recoil pad this problem will be resolved. I really like the gun when its not hurting me.

Assistant Administrator
    what the hell am I going to do with the remaining 3" shells
    Those Trade, you save for a rainy day - one of those occasions where some extra ''oomph'' is useful!!!

I have a near full box each of #4 shot 3" and also BB 3" - have had them some time but - sure their day will come
    Chris - P95

Sponsored Links