Problems with my brand new M590A1...

This is a discussion on Problems with my brand new M590A1... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, if you read in my other thread... I just picked up my 590A1 with the ghosties, 8+1, etc. Well, I get home and run ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with my brand new M590A1...

So, if you read in my other thread... I just picked up my 590A1 with the ghosties, 8+1, etc.
    Well, I get home and run back out to Wally World for some buckshot and nachos...
    I get home and take her out of the bag, and decide to load a few shells and cycle it to get a feel for the motions...
    First round cycles right.... second round... won't come out of the magazine... so I tilt the barrel up and out comes the second round. At first I thought I did something wrong, so I dropped the last shell and started over. I decided to load 6 shells and when I pushed the first shell in, it had no resistance...and so on for the second and third. The 4th offered resistance...
    I cycled thru and it was a repeat of the first time... I had to hold the barrel up to get the shells to come out. I googled the problem and the only thing I could find was the magazine spring was binding. I took the cap off and when I saw the spring cap...it looked like someone pried on it with a screwdriver.
    I put it back together and packed it up and hauled off to the gun show to show the guys I bought it from... First off...even though I had a "return" and an issue with something I bought the day before, they wanted me to pay to get in... I talked my way through that...
    I got to the booth, found the owner and pulled my new baby out of her case. I explained what I found when I tried loading the "New in Box" M590 to him... his reply "Call Mossberg, its under warranty." I told him, I haven't even had a chance to use it...you sold me a defective shotgun...fix it...
    "Call Mossberg...that shotgun is new and hasn't been in our inventory for more than a week." I said it was the display gun and had other peoples nose pickers all over it... "Call Mossberg"
    So, I bit my tongue and walked to another booth to see if they maybe had an aftermarket or replacement spring... "Nope..they don't make them." So I left.
    I went to my fave candy shop with the problem and they gave me the Brownells catalog and their customer number so I could get a discount in case I need to order anything. They also added the shop I bought it from to their black list and said they won't do business with them unless its a transfer.
    So tomorrow morning, I will put a call into Mossberg, and I might order one thru Brownell as well.

So... that was my day...no range for me...

Anyone know of an aftermarket spring? And for those NIB shotguns...don't they come with a bright orange plug that shows the mag is empty? Mine didn't...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

VIP Member
    This is not good. Sorry to hear of the bad service You got. Let us know what Mossberg has to say or what they do about this.

Is the spring binding due to an improperly installed magazine extension
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Is the spring binding due to an improperly installed magazine extension
    The magazine tube is stock from factory. I pulled the spring and cap when I got home and for lack of a better description...the spring looked like it had scoliosis... the thing looks like it was mangled and chewed by a dog...

I'll update after the call tomorrow

All sounds mighty fishy to me. From what I understand, it should come with the orange follower. And a completely jacked up spring out of the box? Hmmm. One of the reasons I'll never buy a gun from gun show unless it's something so unusual I can't get or would be extremely difficult to get elsewhere.

Good luck. Let us know how you get it resolved.
    HK45c V1

The orange follower is missing... and the only reason I bought it at the show was the fact I couldn't find one within my area without a 6-8 week wait...

BTW...the shop that sold it to me from the show was

University Gun & Pawn Shop
    2012 E Fletcher Ave
    Tampa, FL 33612
    Phone: (813) 977-6010

One thing that ticked me off the most is the fact that the shop owner wouldn't even take a look at it... he freakin cold shouldered me...

Sounds like you got hosed.

From MidwayUSA:
    Spring:
    MidwayUSA - Mossberg Follower Spring Mossberg 500 A 12 Gauge, 590, 835

Follower:
    MidwayUSA - Mossberg Follower Mossberg 500 A 12 Gauge, 590, 835

You can be out of the woods in a few days and a few bucks.

Make sure you give that mag tube a good cleaning too. You might actually try that before you order parts. Either way, clean it the same way you would the bore; solvent and everything. Put a little oil on the follower when you put it back together.

Since you are ordering stuff, get a boresnake too. You won;t regret it.

Administrator
    That always stinks when you get ripped off. Oh well, live and learn right?

Anyway, it sounds as if it will be an easy and relatively inexpensive fix. Good luck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you order parts on your own from Brownell's or Midway and assuming your gun has an extended mag tube, make sure the replacement spring is for the longer tube. I don't own a Mossy, but the factory magazine extension I bought for my Benelli came with a much longer spring so the Mossy spring lengths may be different also.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I called Mossberg today and explained what happened. They originally wanted me to ship the entire shotgun to them for warranty work. I told them after going to the show and complaining, I went to my local candy shop and they opened it up and the spring was twisted to all hell. They are shipping me a spring and follower and cap. The orange follower doesn't come with the M590A1. And the spring is for the 8+1...we went by model and serial number to verify.
    I called the store I bought it from today...and the people there weren't very helpful. They pulled the invoice and said it arrived 4 days before the gunshow from their distributor. I told them how unhappy I was with the service and they said "Then don't buy from us..."

Senior Moderator
    What's the name of the shop?

That way we can all not buy from them
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I have seen that attitude a lot lately.

Unless you were on the customer list before this insane streak we are in, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of help with new business. Its a sellers market, unfortunately a very nasty one, especially when it comes to large capacity/"assault" style guns.

Good luck getting it fixed. Stick to your local guys.

The lack of help your getting from this dealer is one of the reasons I don't like gun shows. I have to say though, that while this is the type of behavior I might expect from a transient dealer, I'm really surprised at this type of customer service from someone who has an actual store front operation. I'm glad to hear that Mossberg is taking care of you even if the dealer won't help.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

+1 for mossberg shipping out replacement parts to rectify a bad PR situation.
    -10 for the pawn shop,somebody swapped out parts somewhere
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ok...the new spring (finally) got here... I tossed it in... loaded 5 shells...they chambered and ejected just fine... loaded 6...then 7...then 8...and now I have problems. So I pulled the spring out and it was twisted, but not as bad as the first one. I was able to stretch it out and now I can successfully load 6 shells and cycle them without problems...

Any idea what could be the problem? I pulled the follower and lubed everything up and tried again..6 shells is fine...7 and 8 doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links