Mossberg 930 SPX/ your go-to HD shotgun ?

This is a discussion on Mossberg 930 SPX/ your go-to HD shotgun ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please forgive me in advance if this subject has been covered prior but I'm in the market for a new shotgun, that being the Mossberg ...

Thread: Mossberg 930 SPX/ your go-to HD shotgun ?

Please forgive me in advance if this subject has been covered prior but I'm in the market for a new shotgun, that being the Mossberg 930 SPX. In using the search function I did find some review information dating back to 2007 but I'd like to know if anyone one presently and put a substantial number of rounds through the it- impressions ? Would you buy the 930 SPX again ?
    This shotgun still looks to be a very good buy considering the appointments and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has one now.
    Last edited by electric; January 12th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.

VIP Member
    I have a 930 (I know not SPX) that I hunt with. It's two years old and it is holding up just fine. No problems at all. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

930 SPX Review - Weapon Evolution

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical Shotgun(May, 08 update)

View topic - "The NOB" - MAX100's SPX bolt handle

This is where i got a lot of my information. I have a 930 HS combo (18 and 28inch barrels, and the chamber is tight on both of them) and it has ejection issues that aren't worked out yet.

The SPX, as you know, is just a regular 930 with an 18" barrel and mag extension, a rail mounted on the receiver with an Italian LPA sight... and the front sight welded to the barrel. You could start with a regular 930, buy the parts from a lot of places on the net, and make it yourself, if you had the skills and the tools.

If you could find a gunsmith good enough to weld the front sight on as good as the factory can (extremely unlikely), it would cost a chunk of change for the job, maybe $75. The sights uninstalled can cost as much as $200 for genuine LPA's, so the SPX is really a pretty good deal. I think the included Choate extension would be well over $50 with shipping.

I bough mine from Dick's a few months ago, in Dallas. I paid $549 but got enough "points" for a $20 cash certificate, which I spent on ammo... so it cost $529 plus tax. As far as I can tell, the price was so-so to fair, but it was the only one I could find.

I found a stock magazine cap, stock spring, and a regular buttstock on eBay, some guy had bought a mag extension and a pistol grip buttstock from Choate, to convert a home-defense model to tactical, and didn't think he needed it any longer. He'll be sorry, probably.

I bough all of it for $11, so I can take my mag extension off for the field later, to make it look like a waterfowl or turkey gun, depending on barrel. Assault shotguns aren't usually appreciated in a hunting situation, and it's the only shotgun I have since I sold my classic, mint 870 Wingmaster, which I miss, even though it was a pump and would only shoot 2 3/4", a gun for little birds... mag auto is the way to go for a buckshot or slug gun.

I bough the SPX because a friend has the regular home-defense 930 model, to which he added a Choate mag extension (the same one that's on the SPX) and a red-dot sight. He lives in a rural area and has shot it thousands of times with every kind of ammo made, with no problems. He (over)loads some of his own with one of those cheap Lee loaders, and he buys various crap in bulk from gun shows and mail order. It all works.

I would have bought the dual-barrel model referred to above, but I couldn't find one locally, they're apparently quite popular, as is the SPX, and everyone was sold out. I plan to get a 28" barrel eventually, but everyone seems to be out of them too, both locally and on the 'net. I'd like to find one for less than $150.

If you buy an SPX, a couple of rare things to look for, that I have read about elsewhere, is to make sure that the welded front sight is exactly vertical, not half a degree off, and none of the screws or holes are stripped out on the receiver/rail mounting. Just look it over carefully, as you would or should any purchase... **** happens when humans are involved.

As far as shells being tight, it's a lot more likely to be the ammo than the barrel. Maybe reloads passing for new, where the brass expanded, which it's supposed to for sealing , or foreign or cheap ammo. The last time I shot, I used cheap Rem. #6 birdshot, Federal TruBall slugs, and some Win. 00 and 000 Buck. It all fits perfectly, slides right in with zero clearance

Also, clean the gun with a real gun-cleaning kit, and that means field strip it, barrel and bolt out, everything. There's no such thing as buying a clean gun, if it's new. There are plenty of places on the web to get directions for stripping and cleaning a Mossberg 930 if you don't know how, google it.

The shotgun will shoot both 2 3/4" and 3" shells, so that tells you that the spring is a little stiff to accomodate the heavier loads, so weak 2 3/4" shells may not have enough kick to cycle every time in a new, stiff gun... not enough recoil to push the return spring, not to mention less gas pressure.

So buy a couple of boxes of some 3" heavy load birdshot or some 3" double-ought, which has to push fifteen pellets instead of the nine for the shorter shell. There's a lot of pressure behind slugs, too. Beat the gun and yourself up a little bit, break it in.

Remember what it is... you don't get an 1100 Tactical or a Benelli or an FN for $500. And I don't know about you, but I don't like pistol grip stocks which are on most tactical scatterguns, makes the gun look radical for no real purpose, gets in the way, and makes the gun less handy and less versatile for conversion to other uses. With a cheap long barrel, mine can convert to a field gun in seconds.

The 930 SPX is an excellent buy.
    Problem is locating someone with a unit in stock.

I've been looking for one for _two years_.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

I've been looking for one for _two years_.

- Janq
    Really? I thought Mossberg would have been cranking them out like crazy. They are sure to be good sellers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Really? I thought Mossberg would have been cranking them out like crazy. They are sure to be good sellers.
    Nope...It's a limited production model, they don't make nearly enough to supply demand.
    Seriously this is not new news.

The 930 SPX is highly sought after.
    It's an excellent choice for 3Gun matches and is a poor mans FN SLP.
    As for trying to build one up from a 930 or a 930 Home Defense model, the final cost tally to do same comes out to much greater than that of an SPX at MSRP...Unless you score a 930 at a super discount or free.

As soon as these things come into stock they by my experience and reports by retailers they sell out within days of arrival. Securing new stock by order from Mossberg is sparse too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Huh. I didnt know that. I wonder how/why Mossberg came to the decision to not crank them out. Seems goofy to me. Oh well, I guess thats why I'm a cop and not a business man.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Agreed...It's stupid.

Why they haven't and don't make more supply I have no clue.
    Unfortunately I keep liking and wanting to buy stuff that is damn difficult to acquire.

* Mossberg 930 SPX
    * Marlin 1894C 38/357
    * FN SLP
    * Mannlicher Tactical Elite
    * Bushmaster ACR

:(

- Janq

Range Report continued- Mossberg 930 SPX

For me its perfect and I definitely prefer it to the original stock.
    As has been noticed there is a very slight 'step' where the receiver meets the stock as it isn't perfectly flush, that said its hardly noticeable and definitely doesn't detract, either in form or function. I like this stock a lot more than I thought I would, tomorrow at the range is the acid test.
    I'm adding a sling, extended bolt handle and Vang safety, once I do this baby will be good to go. Oh, did I mention the break in period ending in about 20 or so rounds ? Shot it today, the gun eating everything in sight.

Sponsored Links