New SKS, and some questions.

This is a discussion on New SKS, and some questions. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a wild hair and recently went down to my local big shop. Hanging on the wall, on sale no less was a Yugo ...

Thread: New SKS, and some questions.

I have a wild hair and recently went down to my local big shop. Hanging on the wall, on sale no less was a Yugo M59/66 SKS for $319, so of course, I had to make one of them mine. I wanted an AK, but they were selling for around 800. Shes in excellent shape, and im guessing its never been issued, because it has 0 wear. and was packed in cosmo.

Ive spent about a week and a half playing with it, researching it, and cleaning it off of all the cosmo. Most of which was cleaning the cosmo off. Its a love hate thing. I love that it preserves the gun, but I hate that its on it at all. ugh.

Anyway, ive been doing some reading up on this. and it seems there are two main areas of concern, the Trigger Group and the gas valve up front on top at the end of the rod system.

I see some fixes for the gas valve range from a mere paper clip to buying a whole new valve. So im wondering if any of you have dont any of this. and since I havent fired the rifle yet, should I see if I even have the issue first, or just replace the valve.

The second issue is more important. It seems there is a problem with the trigger group as ive read it, that allows the group to follow through its action and fire even if the trigger isn't pressed or is in safety mode. I have checked my group to see if it exhibits the behavior that's being warned about, and its in the neutral area. Does anyone have any opinions on this, or has anyone done anything to their trigger group? I know Wolff Springs are something to consider as well(opinions welcome on this, too), I figure if im going to take the group apart for the springs. I may as well do what I need to do while im there.

Any advice on this SKS would be very much appreciated. Pics arent the best, sorry. Its still got cosmo on the stock, hence the bag.
    Attached Images

I don't know anything about the Yugo SKS's at all, and I've never heard of the issues you speak of. I had a Russian SKS for several years before trading up to my SLR-95. I had probably put over 5000 rounds through it while I had it, and it actually took the detachable SKS magazines. If I were you, you might look into spare parts kits for it...aftermarket or otherwise, just in case. But I'd shoot it as is before thinking it needs to be modified right away. On the safety, I'm not certain where you are getting your resources about this, but here's one to add that you may not have been to yet. Good luck with your new rifle!
    SKS Carbine Safety Concerns and Trigger Re

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The Hammer/Sear engagement is what I was referring to. I took it apart and checked several times, and it appears to have neutral engagement. Thanks for the link, that has a much more detailed explanation about whats happening, I think I may do that one. If for nothing other then talking it apart to remove all the cosmo residue and replace the springs.

The other one is talked about here:

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

This one I will wait and see what happens at the range. Im glad its a cheap fix though.

VIP Member
    I've had a Norinco SKS for a long time. Never had a problem with it. I don't have any specifics about the Yugo, though, but I can't imagine you would have problems with it. They are good, reliable guns. Have fun shooting it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Although this comes from no personal experience with Yugo SKS's, I would get your gun cleaned up, take it to the range and fire it off. The only way you could convince me to mess with fixing the gas valve is if the gun were short stroking or not cycling at all. There are thousands and thousands of guys with Yugo SKS's who have never had a problem with their guns. If they have, it's probably a well used one that has some corrosion in the valve.

My Norinco SKS doesn't have the greatest sear engagement either, but I'm not really concerned with it. I've read up on it, and have slammed it against the ground to try to get it to release without using the trigger, without any results.

If you really want to have someone work on your SKS's trigger, theres a guy that goes by Kivaari on SKSboars.com who supposedly does a wonderful job of cleaning up the trigger pull while giving it positive engagement.

Welcome to the world of SKS ownership. Have fun. Be safe. Don't worry about keeping it clean. Last of all, head to www.sksboards.com and start reading. They have specific subforums devoted to the Yugo SKS and to trigger groups worked on by Kivaari.

Luke

This for the replies guys.

I am gonna do the sear hammer work, and I think im also going to rework the firing pin. I take 0 chances when it comes to safety, and its not like its very expensive to do.

I cant wait to get her out to the range!

Sponsored Links