Need a sanity check on installing a Phantom flash hider

This is a discussion on Need a sanity check on installing a Phantom flash hider within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just installed a YHM Phantom flash hider on my rifle. Only problem was that once I installed the crush washer, the hider could not ...

Thread: Need a sanity check on installing a Phantom flash hider

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

I just installed a YHM Phantom flash hider on my rifle.

Only problem was that once I installed the crush washer, the hider could not be indexed properly, with the closed hole downward. Even after a good crank with the wrench, it needed to be turned another 250 degrees at least to index properly. If I backed it off to the index point, it was loose enough to move by hand (clearly too loose).

So, just to see what would happen, I left the crush washer off. Without the washer, the hider tightens up and indexes perfectly, with only a little bit less torque used to install it as the A2 hider took to get it off.

There is a gap of about .050in behind the hider. The new crush washer is .147in. Surely, it could not be intended to crush to only 30% of its original thickness, right?

So, is it a bad thing to install a flash hider with no crush washer? If so, how can I go about installing it without having to force the hider through the last 3/4 turn?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I did the same thing with my flash hider the first build I done. I took it to the place I bought it (they had an armorer there at the time) and he removed it, replaced the crush washer and tightened it down almost tight and indexed it without reaching full crush.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Indexing

I am by no means an expert but I would file the crush washer down till i achieved the desired torgue and indexing.

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    I am by no means an expert but I would file the crush washer down till i achieved the desired torgue and indexing.
    That's an interesting idea. I'd have to file 60% of the thickness down though.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Weeelll... You can file the washer down; you can buy a set of thinner peel washers (probably what would be called "old-school", now); or you can tray a split lock-washer.

All of the above are in the Bushy catalogue. Personally, I've always been partial to peel washers.
    http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic...Brakes2007.pdf

To index a MB/FH, just plan on being finger tight 1/4 turn short of index. The crush washer can be sanded down very easily on a flat surface making little circles. It doesn't take much and great care should taken to avoid over sanding. Also a little blue loctite is good not for the "lock" but for the Lube aspect. Worked for me and a few others. Good luck.

see, that's the problem - mine reaches finger tight at 3/4 turn short of index. If it were only 1/4 short, I would have no problem cranking it the last bit.

Administrator
    You can take the existing crush washer and lay it down on a flat piece of metal...then take another piece of flat metal and lay it down on top.
    Then tap it with a hammer to flatten it a tiny bit then retry.
    Continue until you get it to right where you want it.

They should have supplied you with one extra crush washer BTW...

Thanks, I'll try that. They only gave me one crush washer, but the one installed with my A2 flash hider measured the same thickness as the new one, so maybe I can get away with it as a spare.

Ok, I got it. When they call it a "crush washer", they ain't kidding. I sprayed the end of the barrel and both sides of the washer well with gun oil, set the gun across my knees where I had good leverage against the pistol grip, and cranked the hell out of it. Sure enough, that washer started to spread out, and I was able to properly index the hider.

To anyone else installing one for the first time - don't be afraid to put some force behind it. I don't think I would use the FSB or an optic mount for leverage, but the pistol grip works well. It felt like I was over-tightening it at first, but as soon as the washer began to yield, the amount of force I was using leveled off.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Next time you shoot and it gets hot check to see if it'll come loose, I don't know if I would of used gun oil. That's why I suggested the blue loctite, it's not super strong and has a lube aspect while wet.
    Hope it's good.

That's a good point - I'll check next time I'm at the range.

Sponsored Links