AR-15 forward grips...yes/no?

This is a discussion on AR-15 forward grips...yes/no? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alrighty then, My AR is one that right now sits in it's case feeling very lonely. In a few months I should be outta here, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 forward grips...yes/no?

AR-15 forward grips...yes/no?

Alrighty then,
    My AR is one that right now sits in it's case feeling very lonely.

In a few months I should be outta here, and back home in a very rifle friendly environment.
    I bought it to use there as a WTH was that noise checker/pest destroyer/HD rifle.
    Most of the time it will be pest control. But, would like to have it more setup for two legged pests.
    Anyway, the point is it'll get beat up some (not abused, but used)

I'm not convinced I need or want a forward grip. However I'd like some opinions on the practicality of using them in the situations I describe (people'n'critters)

the critters could be anything from a bear@ 5 feet to a racoon or coyote@ 350yds

What are your thoughts on them and which ones would you prefer for my situations?
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've been shooting rifles for so long without them that I've been a dedicated no vertical grip guy. Recently I've been starting to consider it though. I've tried a few out, and I do like them. For CQC, it definitely gives you more mobility and agility with the rifle. It feels pretty natural, gives good support, and you can maneuver easily. For long range/target shooting, I go without it. I think the standard grip gives you more stability but with less mobility. I think when I first realized I might want a forward grip was that going through short range courses of fire, I often halfway gripped the magazine well, but for longer shots, gripped further forward with a normal grip.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I think they really fall into a personal preference type of thing and my preference is no. The only thing that even made me look at them was the capability of some with built in switches for your light/laser but I just couldn't get comfortable with them. Guess in some things, you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. I've learned to accept plastic pistols but just can't bring myself to use a vertical grip on a long gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

It might help on the 5' bear. It could trigger his gag reflex long enought to get your arm out of his mouth and run!
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Lead Moderator
    Not for me , but to each their own. I find the standard M4 type fat HG's work just fine and I am a better shot with them than the vert grip I used to have.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I use one on mine, though it took me a good while to get accustomed to it. Now that I have been using one for 5 years or so, it's natural. It does help to control muzzle rise when firing rapidly, and it helps when "swinging" the rifle from one target to the next. I don't think the "casual" shooter needs one, but if you are willing to train with it then it can't really do any harm. (If you really need to prone out and have a low-capacity mag, you can always take it off.)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    It might help on the 5' bear. It could trigger his gag reflex long enought to get your arm out of his mouth and run!

yeah, but it might catch on his tonsils, then i'm down one rifle and will have an ARMED bear chasing me!

Seriously though, like i said; I'm not all that covinced i need or want one of these things. I'm very comfortable shooting at distances. No worries there, forward grip or not. (for that matter in most cases with that kinda time my .270 is usually handy) I'm not at all worried that it would hinder long shots.
    Just wondering about durability of them and if you guys like'em for CQB applications. Using it at night would be very common too so light attachments/controls would be welcome.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    -Mark Twain

Good for CQB. I have one, but I prefer without.

They're a tool for a job, and many"serious" carbines, expected to transition seamlessly from field to CQB conditions and often having various levels of gear strapped to them, have VFGs installed to aid the user across a spectrum of scenarios.

That doesn't sound like your perceived need or how your rifle is set up? You're likely good to go as is.
    God, country, family.

it is a personal pref thing as for me I have one that i tried to use but I can user the mag to do the same thing and it is more confy. If you decide you want one I would say go to the local gun store and try different ones and fine the one you like.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

I have one on my work rifle, and I like em, for CQB purposes, it helps a lot, but I was using the magwell as a grip before I got issued one, so it wasn't much of a change for me really. And now I'm used to em, so I like em, but it does take some training.

My issued VGF doubles as a bipod, you push a little button and a spring loaded bipod comes out the bottom. Not as good as a dedicated bipod, but it does come in handy for long shots.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

One good thing is that it keeps those of us who used the magwell before to not pull back on the magazine and cause a misfeed, which some AR style weapons have been known to do. I hands are long but thin so I have not had it happen to me, but I have a few friends that it does. I like my VHG.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Took getting used to but I did for a couple of reasons:

1. Keeps your hands off the mag which is a no no
    2. Good hand position to reach the clicky switch on my surefire light. I don't have a cord/swith to my light. It's mounted just ahead and of and at an angle so when gripping the vertical grip my thumb is perfectly aligned with the tailcap switch. This means I can pulse the light or click it on off.

To each their own. Get one and try it out for awhile, worst case scenario you sell it for a small loss and consider it a rental.

An instructor recently convinced me to try out a VFG and I admit I like it. I feel like it's easier to hold the weapon against my body and transition from target to target as well as from right to left handed shooting. I admit that I am not as confident with longer shots using the VFG but I can always grab the rail instead of the grip.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    transition from target to target as well as from right to left handed shooting. I admit that I am not as confident with longer shots using the VFG but I can always grab the rail instead of the grip.
    That was pretty much the way i was thinking...

Thanks guys, I'll probably try one. I had seen the push button bi-pod one's before, which peaked my interest. I like bi-pods but the tend to get in the way if you aren't using them.

I don't think I'll try the bi-pod ones just yet. Probably will get a cheapo and play around with it some. If I see potential I'll invest some more time and money into one.

thanks again....
    -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links