Mixing rounds?

This is a discussion on Mixing rounds? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've seen differing opinions on what types of shotgun loads to use for defensive applications (typically in-house). Well, since each load serves a certain purpose, ...

Thread: Mixing rounds?

Lightbulb Mixing rounds?

I've seen differing opinions on what types of shotgun loads to use for defensive applications (typically in-house). Well, since each load serves a certain purpose, the average person might have trouble making a decision to go with one load over another.

Say you're thinking about going for a new setup. Take your favorite house-clearing shotty - say it holds about 5 in the magazine. You train with your home defense weapons and think ahead enough so that you know exactly how you'll respond if there's a break-in.

Getting to the question: would you consider making a custom combination of 6-or-so rounds in your gun so you can take advantage of each round's attributes?

Example: 00buck (1) in the chamber with another one following in the magazine (2), then a slug (3), #7 birdshot (4, 5), and another round of 00buckshot (6) to finish the recipe. Two rds buckshot for first defense, slug as chest-area stopping round if the threat still exists, birdshot to maximize "bleed area," and another round of versatile buckshot (multiple pellets + good penetration) to complete the package.

If you would consider mixing it up, would it be realistic to expect that you could use this "recipe" with any effect if there was indeed a break-in? I know that most people will probably opt for one type of round that they're comfortable with. What about you?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nope. For one, your plan will fail as soon as the BG interjects HIS plan into the equation. Second, consitency is the key to success - you want to know what to expect when you are scared and groggy and flooded with adrenaline. Third, having birdshot way down the tube is worthless - if you've hit him with buck and slug, the birdshot isn't going to do much more to him, and if you've missed with the buck and slug then the birdshot isn't going to do much to him. At across the room distances, the spread of birdshot isn't going to be significantly bigger than that of buck, and the wound will be shallower - a slighly larger hole with all capilarial bleeding won't bleed as much as a slightly smaller hole that has damaged deep veins and arteries. If you're going to use birdshot at all (and I don't recommend it), use JUST birdshot or at the very least put it first.

If you feel that you MUST have multiple types of rounds for HD, keep them in a side-saddle or other carrier, and keep one type of round (I believe anything #4 Buck and bigger is suitable) in the gun. If you need a slug or birdshot or rock salt or flamethrower rounds or whatever, you can always load them singly.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The strength of the shotgun for defensive use is buckshot. While the slug has a place when a rifle cannot be used, it turns the shotgun into a poor rifle.

Buckshot in a proper gun provides an advantage to a shooter who is having to deal with a complex threat. Being able to get a hit on a target that is moving or using partial cover is an important asset.

Hoping the fight will line up with the order of the magazine is not a good bet.

BAC
    I still wanna see what a sabot round does to a person. Is that too much to ask for?

So far as I know, even the folks who shoot at people for a living don't tend to mix ammo much. A tracer here or there to let them know where they are in the mag, but that's really about it. The only time it becomes truly necessary to switch ammo is if you suddenly find more stuff in the way than you previously thought you'd find, but that shouldn't be a problem in a home defense scenario.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Thumbs down

I'd be willing to bet that a mix-and-match approach would grossly increase the risk of failure to cycle.

I know that my pistol is fairly finicky with respect to OAL of rounds, whether the rounds have a tight crimp or not, and I know that the springs/cycling is tuned to a given type of load. Other loads with other characteristics simply have less assurance of working as well.

While I can see how a shotgun might not have the same degree of finicky nature, the point still stands: what you've proven works in a given gun is the best load to work with; all else is a threat to FTF/FTE/FTC.

I'm with OPFOR on this. Consistency is key, when it comes to load selection. You'll have a better understanding of how it's likely to perform on target, how you'll be able to handle the load, and how it performs in your gun. At best, you're doubling or tripling your work to find a perfect load for your gun; at worst, you're risking a threat of cycling failures.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I still wanna see what a sabot round does to a person. Is that too much to ask for?
    Putting a few rounds through the next roadkill deer you find would answer that pretty quickly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

mixing shotgun rounds is not a good ideal. the shotgun is at it best with 00 buck. the slug makes the shotgun a rifle and hunting loads are best used for hunting.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I keep 00 buck in the mag tube of the 590 and I have 6 rounds of slug on board in the Side Saddle. If the perp takes cover I will dump the 00, do a tactical load with a slug from the Side Saddle and feed him the bunker-buster. Only one type in the mag tube at any given time though.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Putting a few rounds through the next roadkill deer you find would answer that pretty quickly.
    Heh, Florida roadkill's of the smaller critter variety, otherwise I'd be tempted to do just that.

For folks mixing buck shot and slugs, what sort of cover do you have in your house that's stopping buck shot, and if you can't see them, should you be shooting anyway?

-B

For folks mixing buck shot and slugs, what sort of cover do you have in your house that's stopping buck shot,

It isn't just "in the house" I prep for.

and if you can't see them, should you be shooting anyway?

Who said I can't see 'em ? They can fire at me from behind cover and if they are firing at me from behind cover, the answer to the last part of your question will be "YES".

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    The most common school of thought I have seen for any kind of mixing in a shotgun has been to alternate buckshot and slugs. Thats it.

It has been said here before, and I am going to say it this time: "BIRDSHOT IS FOR THE BIRDS!

I have watched too many ducks fly away after I have solidly hit them, I would have no faith in using birdshot on a BG.

Overall though, I would say stick with one type of round with your secondary on a side saddle like other posters here have said.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Some people like surprises ,there is nothing better than for you and the bad guy to be surprised together such as firing a load of buckshot when you need a slug or a slug when you thought you had a load of buckshot ,yessiree good times
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Stick with one sort of ammo in the tube, preferably a good buckshot. Mixing ball with tracer has a purpose in the military, not so much for mixing in the civilian world. Ball and tracer will also do roughly the same thing when they hit a target, or at least its a lot closer than the differences between buckshot, bird shot, and slugs.

If you want to go the side saddle route make sure you find a way to differentiate between the types of rounds on there. Like on mine the forward most slots are extra buck, with the primer down, because that is what I am most likely to need, while the rearmost are slugs with the primer up. That way the ones I am most likely to grab under stress are the ones I'm most likely to need, and somehwere in the back of my mind an alarm will sound if the round doesn't fell right (training helps of course). Also you can tell what you are getting just from touch without needing to take your eyes from the threat/use a light.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Like you've heard a lot, mixing is probably not the best. Something to consider in your HD plans are the people in the home. Shooting 00Buck or slugs, you had better know where everyone else is. If you have kids in the house or an elderly parent then you run a significant risk of going through a wall and harming a loved one.

#4 shot can still make a mess of a BG with decent shot placement and is far less lethal on the other side of 2 sheets of sheetrock to protect the significant other or kiddos. It is not as lethal as 00 or slugs, but I think the trade off is worth it.

If you want to have some serious bang I would suggest loading some 00 in the sidesaddle or at the end of the mag. Most HD invasions are 1 or at most 2 BGs; IMAO 6 shots should be quite enough with the wife on the phone and the 911 operator hearing the 12-gauge going off in the background. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    It isn't just "in the house" I prep for...
    Fair enough answer for me.

-B

I have black bear problems spring through fall living next to the national forest in Colorado. Have had one try to break into the house by breaking in a window frame and all, though our dogs chased it off. I keep a slug as the first round because BG or bear I am going to have dogs taking the first action and need to miss them. After that I have 3-inch 00-buck in the tube. On the side saddle I have half slugs and half 00-buck.
    Last edited by mtnclimber; January 19th, 2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Links