semi auto rifle

This is a discussion on semi auto rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I am looking into getting a semi auto rifle with my tax return and had some questions. I am new to rifles as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: semi auto rifle

semi auto rifle

Hey guys, I am looking into getting a semi auto rifle with my tax return and had some questions. I am new to rifles as handguns are my main purchases, but have been researching most of the rifles available. It will mainly be used for plinking, but might like to have it ready for a home defense gun. The four that I am looking at are the Cetme, Galil, SKS, and of course the AK. I really like the fact the Cetme shoots the 308, Im not a big fan of the Galils 223 but it seems like a nice compact package with greater accuracy than the AK. The SKS is much cheaper, but if I find a nice one I think it would work for my needs as well. As for price it looks like the Cetme is about 700 the Galil 600 AK is anywhere from 500 up and the SKS is 250 and up. Which would be the better starter rifle and the better bargain?

2. Remove Ads

See? Sometimes it's comes down to the way a question is worded. I look at the big picture here, and not just the initial investment.
    Which would be the better starter rifle and the better bargain?
    Putting some of my opinions aside, looking at ammo availability, magazine availability, parts availability, and a few other factors without regards to cost of the rifle up front, I'd definitely say the AK is going to be the better "bargain" in the long run. And if that's not enough, I figure the AK would at least hold a better resale value as well.

Thaks Ramrod. I wasn't actually saying the cheapest up front, but the better gun for the money for my needs. I am more than willing to pay more for something that will work better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    Hey guys, I am looking into getting a semi auto rifle with my tax return and had some questions. I am new to rifles as handguns are my main purchases, but have been researching most of the rifles available. It will mainly be used for plinking, but might like to have it ready for a home defense gun. The four that I am looking at are the Cetme, Galil, SKS, and of course the AK. I really like the fact the Cetme shoots the 308, Im not a big fan of the Galils 223 but it seems like a nice compact package with greater accuracy than the AK. The SKS is much cheaper, but if I find a nice one I think it would work for my needs as well. As for price it looks like the Cetme is about 700 the Galil 600 AK is anywhere from 500 up and the SKS is 250 and up. Which would be the better starter rifle and the better bargain?
    OK, here we go! Some folks like the AK. It has looks, function, and is a very good shooter. IMHO, the SKS wins out as a starter rifle. I own two, and they will do anything an AK will do. Mine have detachable 30 rd. mags., just like the AK. For hunting, I just remove the 30 rounder, and insert the original 10 rd. mag. Same bullet, same balistics. I added a folding stock with pistol grip, and most people think it's AK. As for resale value, well the only difference is that the SKS cost less to start with, so it won't bring what an AK could for resale.
    Attached Images
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bowdenknxvll View Post
    Thaks Ramrod. I wasn't actually saying the cheapest up front, but the better gun for the money for my needs. I am more than willing to pay more for something that will work better for me.
    Yes...I understood that. AK has detachable magazines, shorter barrel, 7.62x39 ammo seems to be more available and less costly compared to the .223/5.56. I simply think you'll be happier with an AK for it's modularity. I've never contemplated a semi-auto rifle for home defense actually, but if I did, the AK would be the one.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    When I first bought my AK-47, I was trying to decide between that or the SKS. I liked the SKS because of the price, but lacked the detachable magazine feature that I wanted. I splurged and went with the AK first.

Besides, you'll want to get them while you can!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

You may want to reconsider the "x39 ammo is more plentiful" argument. Most places have Wolf .223 less expensive than 7.62x39. In the long run, the domestic supply of .223 (or .308) could tip the tides against an SKS or AK.

if you are looking for a "starter" rifle i would go with the ruger 10/22. yes i know what you are going to say next, "a 22lr". but, you can dress it up like a "rambo" gun or keep it simple. cheap on ammo, will get the job done when it hits the fan, will put food on the table, easy to maintain, and fun to shoot. now it will not be the "top dog" at the range along your friends "rambo" guns, but it is a rifle that is hard to beat. and i bet that all your friends will want to shoot it. ammo will be easy to find when things go bad. and at this time you can shoot all day long for a "song and a dance". that hard to do with the other big guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    for what it's worth, I just can't consider an 8 pound SKS commie gun to be a "home defense" rifle...at least NOT a house gun. Now, a Beretta CX4 IS a home defense/house gun

surv

Administrator
    An original IMI import Israeli Military Industries built Galil will run you some pretty huge bucks these days. $2,500 to $3,000+

Any Galil that you find for $600 will either be a domestic knock-off or "parts built" on a domestic receiver.

Of the ones you listed, I would say the AK would be your best bet in the long run. But why not splurge and get the AK and the SKS. To me a better home defense gun would be a Leveraction carbine in 357 MAG or 44MAG. They run from $300 to $400 if you buy a Marlin.

Personal opinion... I sure don't need an AK, AR or anything similar for home defense in
    .308, .223, 5.56, etc. The shotgun and the handgun do just fine. With the above, you have to worry even more about how far that bullet is going to travel and how many walls it may penetrate first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Personal opinion... I sure don't need an AK, AR or anything similar for home defense in
    .308, .223, 5.56, etc. The shotgun and the handgun do just fine. With the above, you have to worry even more about how far that bullet is going to travel and how many walls it may penetrate first.
    Don't perpetuate the myth. 9MM, .45 ACP, and 12GA. buck penetrate more wall material than the .223. Now 7.62 (x51 or x39), that is another story.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by normal View Post
    Don't perpetuate the myth. 9MM, .45 ACP, and 12GA. buck penetrate more wall material than the .223. Now 7.62 (x51 or x39), that is another story.
    +1
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I shot my AK at a tree 14" in diameter at 25ft with HP ammo, and it went straight through.
    "Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links