Possible Good Deal on AR Mags

This is a discussion on Possible Good Deal on AR Mags within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, my local Academy got Sig 556 Mags in stock. They've kept them in stock too! It's a two-pack that comes with a coupler. They ...

So, my local Academy got Sig 556 Mags in stock. They've kept them in stock too! It's a two-pack that comes with a coupler. They seem to be well made, though there are tool marks on the front of each mag. I was under the impression that Sig mags were in the forty-bucks-apiece range, second only to HK mags, but these retailed for $39.99. They don't have a green follower, but that is easily resolved if necessary. I had to shave just a touch of the plastic off of the back of the mag where the release lever drops. After that they fit my rifle well.

So...anyone have any experience with these mags? I think I got a decent deal at least. And with P-Mags nowhere to be found, and $40 at a lot of the places for back order, I think this is a good deal. So, if your looking for polymer AR-15 mags. Try Academy! The one in Waco, Tx still has them in stock.

Oh...forgot to mention, my parents work at the store so I got them for 25% off

Since I know ya'll can't stand something new without pictures, I've included a couple.
    Attached Images
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

C products has 30 rounders for 12.95 ea and looks like they're in stock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I thought I read somewhere that those SIG AR mags were so-so...don't remember where though.

Personally, I'd rather spend the extra pesos and buy any USGI aluminum (and upgrade with Magpul followers and CS springs), Brownell, PMAG, or Lancer mags. Rainier Arms has Lancers in stock. They will be coming out with a 20-round magazine soon.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I'll put 'em through their paces next time I go to the range, and see how the perform. Just lookin' at them, they look okay. Proof will be in the feeding, of course.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Do they fit any AR or just the Sig 556? I also read on one of the forums that there are issues with the Sig mags, just can't remember what. I just received the last of my backordered 20 and 30 round PMAG's and I have been hearing reports that there a few suppliers with them in stock. Just try a google search for "In stock PMAGS".

Well...I was planning on going to the range on Sunday, but work got in the way. So, I decided to do a basic function test (all I had a chance to do was snap some photos the day I got 'em). And you guys were right. Total garbage. At least three failure to feeds on each mag. In theory, they fit any NATO 5.56 weapon, but they sure didn't work in my AR. They fit nicely, but feed horribly. I figured that it's a Sig product - can't go wrong, right? I'll stick with my aluminum mags until I can find some PMAGs. Hey- the good news is Academy took 'em back without a problem! Such a disappointment. I really liked the feel of the polymer mags. Anywho.

Final word - Don't buy them.

Enough ranting. I'm going to bed.

Torrejon,

The Sig 556 is setup for AR format magazines.
    The OEM Sig 556 magazine is an AR format type.
    There is interchange between and amongst the two.

- Janq has a Sig 556
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I keep finding Pmags, and usually they are overpriced and not selling as fast as the seller would hope. I have been able to talk whoever is selling them down when I tell them I am interested in 10 or more at a time and I have cash. Consequently, I havn't paid more than 20 bucks a piece so far.

What I find amazing is that nearly everyone I see who has a Colt stamped mag suddenly thinks they are worth gold. I consistently am finding new Colt mags for $40 plus. Even ones that look so overused I would never trust them have $30 price tags. I did see two vendors at the show I went to this weekend who had cases of the Colt mags for $20 a piece. Everyone else was asking $40 at minimum.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Links