Recommendations for Gun Finishes

This is a discussion on Recommendations for Gun Finishes within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah, I heard you made a killing.....you suck! Ok, I went ahead and ordered the Teflon Moly spray with the extra nozzles. I was told ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for Gun Finishes

VIP Member
    Yeah, I heard you made a killing.....you suck!

Ok, I went ahead and ordered the Teflon Moly spray with the extra nozzles. I was told by my dear mother that the airbrush compressor we used to have passed away some 3 years ago and she is worried I am getting forgetful. Wait till I tell her I have to use her pristine oven to "cook" the AK!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ok, So I decided to try first on a mag before tackling the AKlon. I chose one that had some rust spots and dremmeled the heck out of it. Bathed it generously with brake cleaner to remove oils and assorted debris and even made a cute little suspension system out of a wire hanger to cure it in the oven. I grab the can and I read 2 things:

"For best results bead blast parts to achieve desired finish"
    OK, now what is a good substitute? The Mag's finish is not that important, but I do not want to screw up the gun, any homemade substitute for that?

The second thing that I saw was:
    "Do not spray parts for use in temperatures below 65 degrees"
    NWS South Florida
    Miami, Opa Locka Airport
    Last Update on Feb 6, 9:53 am EST
    Fair 63F (18C)
    Humidity: 43 %
    This is not fair damn it!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Miggy, anytime you bead blast you are just roughing up the surface texture. Sanding will work just as well just be careful about using too rough of a grit and leaving deep scratches on the surface.

BTW- If you have a decent sized air compressor you get get a fairly cheap sandblaster gun and sand bin. Sears used to have them and I bet some place like Habor Freight does as well.

If you do so that route be sure to get sand blast sand, otherwise you'll get small pebbles clogging the gun's nozzle.

VIP Member
    So something like a 400 grit? I have those sandpaper sponges and they are much easier than plain paper.
    Randy Cain.

Miggy,
    Is your AK's finish fairly "new" park, or blued? If park, go ahead and just thoroughly degrease, pre-heat in the oven, and apply(this will give you the mil-spec equivalent, they do Tef over park). Blued, you'll have to blast or rub. I would use 200 (maybe 320)or so grit, so that you have a striated/porus surface for the epoxy to fill/adhere to. 400 will give a very smooth, almost polished, surface.
    If you can spray in a garage, or similar, a 2 degree difference will be non-existant, particularly if you put the parts in the oven on "warm" (+/- 100-120 degrees) for 1/2 hour or so, before spraying.

Here's a pic of one I did (and traded off! ):
    http://www.microholics.org/cgi-micro...ST;f=10;t=7749

VIP Member
    It is parkerized. I did a test today with a mag and, Boy! you really can't cover deep scratches. But the finish otherwise came out great.
    I'll do the big job on Thursday.... might even post some pics it it comes out decent
    Randy Cain.

Dura-Coat ya wanna do it yourself..

Robar if you don't

VIP Member
    Well folks, it is done. And it was easier that I would have thought.

I followed Rob's advice and I had an unexpected bonus: Even though I thought I did a good job cleaning, some grease-like substance came out of the trunnion and I wiped it and cleaned it. I also learned that not all brake cleaners are equal and some come with crap inside. I used a brand called Primus and left a residue. I wiped everything down with thinner till it was spotless but that chewed almost 2 hours.

The weather cooperated beautifully and even had a slight breeze so it was a fun job to do. Teflon Moly spray is forgiving (but not that much) and the finish is nice, sort of a muted satin and very smooth to the touch.

Three coats with 30 to 40 mins intervals for drying and 35 minutes in the oven and it was done to perfection with almost no fumes. I also went ahead and re-stained the furniture with ebony color and I think I finally got that almost black look I wanted. I am still undecided if going wax or just finish it with satin polyurethane and forget about it.

I will post before and after pictures tomorrow.
    Randy Cain.

Cant wait for the pics

Thumbs up

I'd go polyurethane.

I want to see the pics too.

VIP Member
    Folks... cheap digital camera is not cooperating. I'll post pics ASAIC. Sorry!
    Randy Cain.

Walter Birdsong has the Birdsong Black T finish. It is one of the best that I have used, handguns only. Does not cost much and is well worth the price. You can get his phone number off the net. All metal parts are done inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    I am still undecided if going wax or just finish it with satin polyurethane and forget about it.
    Miggy, I haven't tried this finish spray, but AcraGlas is The Stuff, for bedding and repairs:
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...aspx?p=1162&s=

On the fumes. My wife gets really ticked when I do this stuff in winter.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links