Recommendations for Gun Finishes

This is a discussion on Recommendations for Gun Finishes within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been debating abou going plastic with my AK furniture or not. I still don't know. What I do know is that the metal finish ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Gun Finishes

VIP Member

Recommendations for Gun Finishes

I've been debating abou going plastic with my AK furniture or not. I still don't know. What I do know is that the metal finish is just that standard atrociously finished romanian black and I want to get rid of it. What kind of recomendations on finishes and techniques could you guys give? Baking is not a problem, I am pretty decent disassembling and assembling but I am kind of a ham painting.

Thanks way in advance.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    2 options. A nice sturdy long wearing finish like Norells or similar, or say it with krylon. I have not tried the Norells yet, but AR15.com usually has threads on this topic.

Senior Moderator
    DuraCoat...

best stuff out there...

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
    Last edited by HotGuns; January 27th, 2006 at 06:57 PM.

I put the ROBAR finish on my M1A supermatch. ROGARD for the exterior and NP3 inside. I love the NP3 because it is essentially self lubricating and clean up is a mere wipedown, then run a patch thru the barrel. But....it ain't CHEAP! Dunno if I'd want to put those kinds of $$ down on a finish for an AK. Not to sound even remotely snobby! lol.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    Dura Kote ~ You can do it at home.

VIP Member
    Ex, Robar do sounds like overkill. I should have said that I want to do the project myself with the caveat that I am known for making big messes with paints and that the whole job shouldn't cost as much as the darn gun itself

I am guessing QK and Hotguns are refering to the same product. I like the package they offer for $50 but, how hard is to work with it?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Duracoat/Gunkote are good, but somewhat less tolerant (IME you have to be careful about layering your coats and build-up) than the Teflon bakes. On the DIY end- do you have an airbrush set? The best weapon I've ever done was a BM 20" HBar, about 9 years ago. To this day, the friend I traded it to has people asking about the "cool factory finish". Since that initial effort (using Brownell's spray cans) I've had problems with build-up and uneven coats.

If you go Brownell's, I would either have the compressor/airbrush set available, or go ahead and buy 4 extra spray nozzles, and two clean-out nozzels for the cans, and spend a weekend doing it. DO NOT HURRY, and you'll be very pleased!

Very similar, the Teflon/moly has more lubricity than the Kotes, which seem to be closer (but more durable, and less "gunky"than) the old laquer coat finishes.

Senior Moderator
    how hard is to work with it?
    Its not. The only catch is that you need an airbrush to do it. If you already have an airbrush, and you just wanto paint your stuff one color, a 4 oz bottle for 16.95 will do a couple of rifles.

Its easy to do. Even if you're all thumbs...

It's already been said but go light on the coats, keep the nozzle back a good ways and "dust" the paint on to give it a matte look. Plus give enough time between coats for them to dry good.

Best time to do this is when it's warm and dry.

VIP Member
    I have a small compressor for airbrush, but no airbrush. It can't be that expensive so I'll get one. Just one more thing, define warm and dry. Being in South Florida you can't have both as we define Hot being anything above 85 and dry anything under 75%. For us right now is cool and dry (65 degrees)
    Randy Cain.

Assistant Administrator
    Do it now Miggy!!!!

I regard room temp as 68 and that region coupled with lower humidity is workable - 72-75 is better but will humidity be still down? maybe right now it might some days.

This should not be your summer project
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Good! Ordering the stuff tomorrow morning. Now I am headed for bed before I pass out...frigging cold is killing me!
    Randy Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Good! Ordering the stuff tomorrow morning. Now I am headed for bed before I pass out...frigging cold is killing me!
    You MISSED a ******* good time yesterday!!! I won the raffles three times for five tickets. I'll post more later with pics. Gotta run errands with wife afore she kills me!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    If she doesnt, I will!!!

Randy Cain.

Unhappy Poor Miggy....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    If she doesnt, I will!!!
    Ahhh Miggy Miggy Miggy.....what are we going to do with you? Look if your eyes are red with rage or red with flu, maybe you can borrow the neato shooting glasses with the dark tint lenses I won on Saturday. If you need to see in one of our Markham night matches perhaps you can borrow the Streamlight SCORPION flashlight I also won. It's near as bright as my SureFire 6P!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links